This is a bit complicated, but bear with me!

I recently moved from the US to Sweden and brought my phone with me. From a previous visit I knew that I could use a local SIM card without a problem, but the carrier I first bought a refill-SIM card from did not support data service for Blackberry (and they were upfront about that).

When I moved back permanently I signed up for a plan with a carrier that claimed up and down that YES, they support Blackberry! So I signed up with them for a year.

Well, it turns out they do not support Blackberry and do not have BIS service available. I have the data plan and can use the Gmail app and I figured out how to get online with the Opera browser, but it's not the same. Email don't work, BB browser does not work and none of the apps I used to use (BB messenger, yahoo messenger, maps etc etc etc) won't work.

Any way I can get around this? Of course, now the carrier I signed with say that they don't support Blackberry or have service books available, but that they have known of Bbs to be able to use data service. And of course they will not let me out of the contract despite them right out lying to me. (Side note: I bought an HTC Smart through them since it was fairly inexpensive - turns out they do not even support the phones they sell. Had I known this previously I would have stayed far, far away from this carrier, but its hard to base your decisions on facts that turn out to be lies).

The second thing is that after I got the new OS (Sprints 5.0 release) I can't use the two top buttons to work correctly, i.e mute and password lock. You can mute on the top left but the top right is apparently re-assigned to pause and play in the media player. Only way to access password lock is to go into menu and so on. Anyway I can switch it back to the old functions without changing OS?

Third and less important: I have a second BB Tour 9630, also from Sprint but never used or set up in the US, which says that activation is required. How do I activate it? I'm no longer a Sprint costumer so I don't have access to their service any longer and the SIM card from my current carrier does nothing.
    07-04-10 10:07 AM
    All 5.0 releases changed the functionality of the top two buttons.
    07-04-10 10:41 AM
    All 5.0 releases changed the functionality of the top two buttons.
    And there is no way to change it back without changing OS?
    07-04-10 10:46 AM
    Not really. There are a few hybrid OS' out there that will change the buttons back but that is like reinstalling a OS and they are ALL dated now. 5.0 has been out for a long time.

I think you need to weigh the increased functionality of the new OS vs the inconvenience of learning where the new buttons are.

There were lots of threads on this when 5.0 first came out.
    07-04-10 12:17 PM
    Not really. There are a few hybrid OS' out there that will change the buttons back but that is like reinstalling a OS and they are ALL dated now. 5.0 has been out for a long time.

I think you need to weigh the increased functionality of the new OS vs the inconvenience of learning where the new buttons are.

There were lots of threads on this when 5.0 first came out.
    Don't ask me why, but I didn't get the option to upgrade through Desk Manager until about a month ago. I remember waiting for it back in November but Sprint hadn't released it yet. And I'm sure there are a lot improvements, but since none of my data services work I'm afraid I haven't been able to appreciate them. The only one I can see and use is the new layout of text messaging, and that is really neat.
    07-04-10 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD