1. DerlinStiles's Avatar
    Ack! I have been patiently holding out for a Tour2/Bold/Essex but... I'm on a shared plan with my father (vz) and he couldn't wait to pull the trigger on a Storm2, and I get a phone "free". So I have until April 28th to choose a new phone and its not looking good for the Tour2/Bold/whatever to be out by then . I don't think getting a 9630 would be the end of the world, but I do want the track pad (I have greasy Italian fingers), I WOULD use the wi-fi, and it just feels wrong buying a phone so close to EOL. I tend to have phones a long time (chugging along on an 8330) so I don't want to be stuck with something I didn't really want. Not sure what I should do- I'm looking for opinions here. I guess my options are:

    1. suck it up and get a 9630
    2. get the bb with the best resale value (Storm2) and sell it when the Tour2/Bold/9650/Essex comes out
    3. Eschew the "free" phone and just pay the $200 or whatever vz will charge for the Tour2/Bold/9650/Essex/XZ5000 (*the problem with this is my dad might get annoyed if bb/vz delay the release and I push my contract renewal back to far)

    Thoughts?
    04-12-10 08:55 AM
  2. sabbotage's Avatar
    Maybe the Bold will be out within 30 days after you get the tour and you can return it for the Bold. If its slated for a May release I would hope it would be out before the end of May so hopefully it would release within your 30 day period.
    04-12-10 09:17 AM
  3. DerlinStiles's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure how I'd work that- the "deal" involves sending in a rebate for the $99 I would pay for the phone. I'm wondering if sending in the rebate would disqualify me for the trade in if the Bold comes out, or, if I didn't send in the rebate for the Tour, if it would still be valid when I trade in it for the Bold since it would be after the 30 days. And you fairly certain vz would even let me trade in a Tour (or Storm2) for the new Bold in that situation? I guess I could post in the vz section if no one jumps in here. Anyone? Any other thoughts on what I should do?
    04-12-10 09:38 AM
  4. mapimages's Avatar
    go with number 2
    04-12-10 09:41 AM
  5. hondateg91's Avatar
    Option 2 sounds the best.
    04-12-10 12:55 PM
  6. Jude526's Avatar
    restocking fee of 35.00 as well if you change your mind on the device. I have the Tour it isn't bad just don't like the 5.0

    You could always get your own plan too ya know if you have the credit to do so.
    04-12-10 01:18 PM
  7. juggalofx's Avatar
    Ack! I have been patiently holding out for a Tour2/Bold/Essex but... I'm on a shared plan with my father (vz) and he couldn't wait to pull the trigger on a Storm2, and I get a phone "free". So I have until April 28th to choose a new phone and its not looking good for the Tour2/Bold/whatever to be out by then . I don't think getting a 9630 would be the end of the world, but I do want the track pad (I have greasy Italian fingers), I WOULD use the wi-fi, and it just feels wrong buying a phone so close to EOL. I tend to have phones a long time (chugging along on an 8330) so I don't want to be stuck with something I didn't really want. Not sure what I should do- I'm looking for opinions here. I guess my options are:

    1. suck it up and get a 9630
    2. get the bb with the best resale value (Storm2) and sell it when the Tour2/Bold/9650/Essex comes out
    3. Eschew the "free" phone and just pay the $200 or whatever vz will charge for the Tour2/Bold/9650/Essex/XZ5000 (*the problem with this is my dad might get annoyed if bb/vz delay the release and I push my contract renewal back to far)

    Thoughts?

    Honestly i would go with option 2. That way if you have to get the bold/tour 2 you can afford it easier when having to resell the storm2. That being said i would personally get the storm 2 or tour and just wait a year before getting the new bold anyways. Verizon is not known for having great first generation phones. My tour only has a light trackball issue were most other people that have newer tours have none and people with older tours have tons of issues.


    In the end its up to you. I am lucky i bought my tour for a steal of a price off ebay with a year only left on my vzw contract. So in not even a year i get a upgrade to whatever bb is best at the time.
    04-12-10 01:45 PM
  8. DerlinStiles's Avatar
    Thanks everybody for the responses. Still not sure what I'm going to do- at least I feel a little better since I have votes for every option. I'll wait till the end of the month on the meager chance the Bold comes out, and then I'll decide.

    I think I agree with juggalo about getting first gen bb's. I think I'm leaning toward the just getting the 9630, but either phone will no doubt be a significant step up from the 8330. And either way I'll get the micro usb port, which is awesome since it saves SO much space when compared to the old-fashioned mini-USB connector on my 8330- I'm pleased I get to replace all those old USB mini wall chargers, car charger, and data cables. Well worth the space savings on the device . I will still consider getting the storm2 for resale, but I'm not sure I could live without the QWERTY. I'll most likely remain QWERTY until I'm forced to get a an iPhone by iCops after apple takes over the world all because RIM couldn't release any competitively designed bug-free products. :O
    04-12-10 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD