Hi all,

I got the tour the day it came out, so I got stuck with one of the BB's with the horizontal-scrolling trackball issue. A guy I know who owns a local independent cell phone store assured me that swapping out the trackball would resolve the problem, so I paid him the $40 to let him do it (I decided to leave to more experienced hands).

To make a long story short it completely resolved the issue!! I'd try this before swapping the entire phone out..
    09-30-09 05:54 PM
    I just got the same problems today... did he swap it out with a new tour trackball or did he change it to a curve trackball?

thanks
    09-30-09 05:57 PM
    Hi all,

I got the tour the day it came out, so I got stuck with one of the BB's with the horizontal-scrolling trackball issue. A guy I know who owns a local independent cell phone store assured me that swapping out the trackball would resolve the problem, so I paid him the $40 to let him do it (I decided to leave to more experienced hands).

To make a long story short it completely resolved the issue!! I'd try this before swapping the entire phone out..
    Why pay $40 when it should be right from the start?
    09-30-09 06:00 PM
    Or... you could just take it back to Verizon.
    09-30-09 06:01 PM
    Verizon has a standing order to replace your Tour with a BRAND NEW TOUR if you call reporting a trackball problem.....u DEFINITELY shouldnt have to pay $40 for something that is a warranty issue.
    09-30-09 07:51 PM
    I would pay the $40 in a heartbeat if i could find someone to fix the TB right away. Bell will not exchange the phone whatsoever. You need to send it for repair and get a loaner. It takes 4 to 6 weeks before you get it back. Bell has this ridiculous 15 days or 15 mins of use policy for an exchange. Bell is full of it...... Nothing like Verizon

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 07:57 PM
    I donno jack about Bell, but shouldn't all cell companies give u at least a 1 year manf warranty with the phone? this is a manufacturing defect....

if not, call RIM!
    09-30-09 08:18 PM
    how do you call rim. I switched from a storm to tour, then my track ball was messed up and i got a replacement from verizon now my blackberry app world will not work and says i aready used my three pins. RIM's website doesn't have any phone numbers on it
    09-30-09 08:24 PM
    My second Tour had the TB problem. Finally made it to Verizon last week to swap it out. Told them the issue and they gave me a new phone no problems. I even asked if it was a green dot box and he showed me it was and laughed when I told him that I learned the green dot info here. My first two tours had loose batt door covers and would blank out to a white screen sometimes when backing out of e-mail or sms and everyone complained about me being muffled. This one has a super tight battery door, no TB issues and has not done the white screen issue yet and no complaints on sound quality. Maybe 3rd times a charm for me although it has randomly rebooted on me twice at the most inopportune times. Hopefully it was a fluke.
    09-30-09 08:34 PM
    I donno jack about Bell, but shouldn't all cell companies give u at least a 1 year manf warranty with the phone? this is a manufacturing defect....

if not, call RIM!
    We do have the 1 yr warranty , all BB's do. But with VZW they will exchange your phone right away (or send you one) if you have an issue (like the trackball for example) within your 30 days and even past 30 days. With Bell, if you have an issue and want to exchange it, you have 15 days OR 15 mins of use . After that period, they will NOT exchange it but they will send it for repair under warranty. The 15/15 policy is only for BB's, all other phones have 30 days. Ive read countless posts of pple with VZW walking out with a new phone or have VZW send one out with no problem. Almost impossible with Bell. They will even deny that the Tour has TB issues. I hate Bell with a passion but i have 5 cell phones all under contract with them (what a mistake) and it would cost an arm and a leg to cancel right now. Ok thats enough.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 08:46 PM
    I mentioned the BB curve trackball as a possible fix, but he used a replacement tour trackball - it does have a different 'feel' to it, it feels softer, but works great.

Regarding the $40, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on if this was worth it or not. To me, it was well worth it to keep my same phone, not have to mess with reinstalling all my apps, contacts, and just the general setup of my overall phone and my wasted time to redo all of it, it was a small price to pay.
    09-30-09 08:47 PM
    how do you call rim. I switched from a storm to tour, then my track ball was messed up and i got a replacement from verizon now my blackberry app world will not work and says i aready used my three pins. RIM's website doesn't have any phone numbers on it
    Go HERE and on the first page where it says "Please select a component" pick "BlackBerry App World - Billing/Payment" from the drop down menu. On the second page enter your current device PIN. For an order number you can use "1234567890". It doesn't matter if it's valid or not it's just so the page will accept the submission. In the details box try to provide as much info as possible. Try to include the previous pins that were registered with your App World account if possible. Once submitted You should get an email with your support ticket number. If you dont hear back from them in 48 hours then just reply to the email and ask if there is any new info regarding support ticket (whatever your support ticket number is) and you should get a response fairly quickly.

If, when you try to submit a ticket, you get an "invalid PIN" message PM me and let me know.
    09-30-09 10:28 PM
    I mentioned the BB curve trackball as a possible fix, but he used a replacement tour trackball - it does have a different 'feel' to it, it feels softer, but works great.

Regarding the $40, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on if this was worth it or not. To me, it was well worth it to keep my same phone, not have to mess with reinstalling all my apps, contacts, and just the general setup of my overall phone and my wasted time to redo all of it, it was a small price to pay.
    It's not just the $40, but also keeping the device under warranty. I believe what has been stated is that if your device has been disassembled, you have forfeit your warranty with RIM.

PLus I think what some people might be getting at is, not that its not worth it or not. Just that why pay anything at all when the fix is free. That just IMO. good luck.
    09-30-09 10:52 PM
    but what if my trackball issues started after my 30 days? im kinda sol aint i?
    10-01-09 12:56 AM
    but what if my trackball issues started after my 30 days? im kinda sol aint i?
    i got mine replaced after 45 days, so maybe not.
    10-01-09 06:12 AM
    I also purchased my Tour when they first came out. Last night, my friend came over, and I realized that the trackball on her brand new Tour was slightly bigger than mine. Today I went to the sprint store to see if they would replace my trackball. The Store manager stated that Sprint requires them to just replace the Phone with a new one. Luckily, the store manager was a Tour owner and was familiar with the problem. He took my phone, and installed a trackball from the Curve. Now the trackball on my Tour works the way it was intended to work. If you have problems with your Tour trackball, just replace it with the trackball from the Curve, you will love the difference.
    10-01-09 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD