Not trying to start a flame fest, but seriously, own a WM phone for 2 years, then see if you have the same feelings towards the Tour or BB in general.

I always see people so excited to jump ship and leave BB, which is a personal preference and I respect that, however I think many people's expectations of other phones are far too high.
    04-26-10 08:06 PM
    what a lot of people dont understand right away when they get a BB, especially when they go from a dumbfone to a BB, is that it's like a mini computer, you have to maintain it to some extent. needs restarting, needs upgrades etc.

my friend had a Storm and was constantly saying "THIS PHONE SUX" but he just didnt understand the delicate intricacies of owning a BB. I hear the storm does suck tho.
    04-26-10 08:19 PM
    The Storm is okay, I own both a 9530 and 9550 and they work just fine if you're running the correct OS
    04-26-10 08:20 PM
    like i said, upgrades... intricacies... etc.

I told him about quickpull and from the sound of it, he wore that app out. never updated the OS. he now has a Droid and "loves it!" he's accidentally called me twice since.
    04-26-10 08:22 PM
    im not complaining.
    but then again, i understand that BB are higher maintance than some other phones.
    Im ok with that.
    04-26-10 08:52 PM
    im not complaining.
    but then again, i understand that BB are higher maintance than some other phones.
    Im ok with that.
    Not even CLOSE to the amount of upkeep that WM phones require. I had to soft reset them every day, sometimes twice a day.
    04-26-10 08:54 PM
    I had the Tour no more 3 was enough have my 4th replacement and it is on ebay am selling it done with the Tour and the trackball I have the Curve now and so far so good. I loved the Tour but the trackball is a definite deal breaker for me. I will get a different model at my upgrade. I was lucky, my internet number was due for an upgrade and used that number to get the new Curve. It is a cool little phone. I like it ok
    04-26-10 08:58 PM
    windows mobile stinks, I had a touchscreen samsung WM phone. The only good part was the wifi. BB blows that piece away .
    04-26-10 10:14 PM
    I just got the Tour yesterday and I love it! It's like night and day compared to the Storm! I think they did a fine job with the Tour, but then again I've had it for a day (though ANYTHING is better than the Storm 1).
    04-26-10 11:13 PM
    I've used WM, Symbian, iPhone, and dare I say it, I feel the closest attachment to my BBs. Probably got to do with the PIN though. And the fact that the internet is there whenever you want it, it is just so accessible. I don't miss Wi-Fi at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 11:52 AM
    I too have used different types of "smart phones". All those bells and whistles are nice, for awhile, then the WHOO HAAAA wears off and it's just another phone. Then you start to realize how worthless the virtual keyboard is,,not to mention the phone locking up half way through typing out a text. To all those going to the Droid or what ever, good luck, it's your choice and there's nothing wrong with that. Just remember how well your BB was when you are approaching noon hour and your low battery warning pops up...lol. Personally this was my first BB and I completely love it. I may even go with the 9650 in Oct. when my upgrade rolls around.
    04-29-10 12:45 PM
    I agree I'll never buy an other wm based phone . Absolutely nothing but problems , I have a tour cranked the track ball up so looking at it causes it to move, and it's great !

04-29-10 12:57 PM
    I am one of those individuals that upgraded from a dumb phone to the Tour. The Tour is my first smartphone evar. I could not be more pleased with it. Did I have problems with the trackball? Sure did, this is my fifth Tour. I don't care though, as long as I'm within my one-year warranty (current trackball works awesome). I can't say enough how much I enjoy this phone. All the range of options is what I thoroughly enjoy. I can tweak this thing to my content, which is a powerful thing. I can develop and install themes, so that my OS doesn't seem so blah. I can upgrade or downgrade my OS to the OS that I think functions well for my device. I'm technical, so this phone is right up my alley.

I'm a BB'er for life, that is all.
    04-29-10 01:30 PM
    i haven't had any major hardware issue. First Tour had a loose battery door. i'm more disappointed with the OSs i've had on my Tour. The current, and my previous, OS both had errors of some sort (552 and Tech Issue). It's hard for me to separate the hardware and software because both need to be working to have a decent phone.

But look at how many people are on their 2nd-6th Tours! i've never read of another BlackBerry replaced so much. If i hadn't started with such a solid device (8330) i'd probably have returned my BlackBerry for a Droid by now. i see the potential BlackBerry has though.

04-29-10 01:48 PM
    I have not had many issues, minor at most, my concern is the tour getting left by the wayside come OS 6!

D
    04-29-10 06:21 PM
    I know that there are a lot of people who own Tours and have issues. But, I think that a lot of the issues are due to not knowing the ends and outs of the hardware and software. I have had BBs for a few years and I find myself still learning a lot about my device and the OS. I am fairly confident that I know enough about my device to get past most of the issues that I could potentially have. With that familiarity is what makes me so addicted to my berry. I just know it too well and I'm too comfortable with it. Many BB users that jump ship do so before they get to the point where they are comfortable with it.

04-29-10 10:07 PM
    I know that there are a lot of people who own Tours and have issues. But, I think that a lot of the issues are due to not knowing the ends and outs of the hardware and software. I have had BBs for a few years and I find myself still learning a lot about my device and the OS. I am fairly confident that I know enough about my device to get past most of the issues that I could potentially have. With that familiarity is what makes me so addicted to my berry. I just know it too well and I'm too comfortable with it. Many BB users that jump ship do so before they get to the point where they are comfortable with it.

Very well spoken!! I've learned a tremendous amount about my Tour in the last 3 months or so playing around with leaked and hybrid OS's. It is surprising how much knowledge there is on the forums, best place I can think of for finding out what really makes a Black Berry tick and how to keep it ticking!!
    04-29-10 10:32 PM

Had I owned another BB besides the Tour I would more than likely be a BB user still. Unfortunately I went through three Tours, 2 bad trackballs and one headphone jack went out. My fourth one was updated to the 5.0 operating system and I suffered with the browser click issue and some other annoyances. Seeing VZW discontinue the 9630 and RIM showing of OS 6.0 left me with little faith that the Tour was going to ever be fully fixed. I could have loaded a Hybrid OS to cure the browser issue, but I feel that it is VZWs and RIMs responsibility to fix the problem.
    04-29-10 11:01 PM
    The people complaining about their Tours (or any Blackberry) are consumers not tech geeks who want to spend hours turning their smart phone into a hobby. They want a low maintenance device that they use without needing to understand how or why it works or does not work. To them, a smartphone should work like a toaster; put bread in the slots, push the button down, toast comes out. No matter what type of bread you put in the slot, you still get toast. Sure, you need to clean the crumb tray but that is pretty low maintenance effort.

04-29-10 11:05 PM
    Just got my 9630. Came from Android and I love my BB!
    04-29-10 11:26 PM
    Somebody should make the (most) perfect hybrid with instructions thread, sticky it and when anyone comes in with a software problem, point them there. I think the various official/leaked / hybrid .484 should be the ones. A one time fix if you will.

04-30-10 05:54 AM
    My Tour came pre-loaded with the new 5.0.0.591 OS. As a result, I seem to have a fairly stable device and the price was right...FREE. Having migrated from a Curve 8330 I really appreciate the increased speed, sharper screen, and smoother operation and feel of the the 9630. Yes...the browser click issue is there but I have trained myself to use the "enter" button on the far right, 3rd row of the keyboard...works every time. Maybe this will prolong the life of the trackball. The only other issue that bugs me is that sometimes, when in an email and I press the "menu" button, the "Switch Application" pops up instead. Yesterday I installed a new theme and this issue seems to have evaporated. If (or when) the trackball fails on this device, a 9650 will probably take it's place.
    04-30-10 08:01 AM
    I'm on my 3rd BlackBerry - 8130 Pearl > 8330 Curve > 9630 Tour.

I have never had any hardware issues, and I have never had to return/exchange a phone. Software issues? Yes, but those have quickly been resolved by switching to a different OS. Good example is Verizons official v5. Instead of stressing myself out with its many flaws, I simply switched back to Sprints .484, and all my problems were solved.

I do not consider myself a "geek", but neither am I "gadget challenged". I enjoy reading and learning, and learning how to change the OS on my phone was not difficult.

As has been said, the BlackBerry IS in fact a mini computer, and as such, does require a bit of knowledge and tweaking to keep it running smoothly. And like a computer, if you do not have this knowledge and are not willing to acquire this knowledge, then you have no choice than to depend on others (in most cases a carriers tech support), to rectify any issues you may have. Sad to say most tech support is generally not up to par, and the usual response when they can't offer the needed support, is to tell you to send the phone in for an exchange. I personally have received much more help in these forums than from my carriers tech support.

Finally, for anyone out there who is looking for a phone that can be compared to a "toaster", I would definitely advise you look for anything other than a BlackBerry. If you fall within this group, not only do you not need a BlackBerry, but in all probability were you to get one, you would only end up frustrated with it, and place all the blame on the phone itself.

Just my personal opinion.
    04-30-10 09:09 AM
    Not even CLOSE to the amount of upkeep that WM phones require. I had to soft reset them every day, sometimes twice a day.
    Bingo and ditto.

I never knew a phone could be so unreliable, quirky, frustrating, and a general POS like the two WM phones my company has given me over the last year and a half. Absolute junk.

MG
    04-30-10 09:27 AM
    But when you spend a lot of money for a phone, you need it to work for you. When you have to return it multiple times and program the phone over and over again it becomes less of an enjoyment. The dumb phones I used to have lasted a long time. Sure this needs a little more care, but the amount of care is ridiculous. Anyone saying this phone is not a bust is out of their minds.
    04-30-10 09:36 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD