Just a hunch...

I downloaded the "official" release, but not through the RIM website. I have had absolutely zero issues upgrading 16 phones plus my phone... So the people who have bricked phones have one thing in common so far... Using the same file.

I uninstalled he previous version from the computer (Windows 7 x64) and I installed the new version of the software. I did a wipe using BBSAK (newest version) and I used BBSAK to launch the OS install. Worked like a charm on each and every phone. I did NOT use DM to do the upgrade.....

They all downloaded directly from? RIM? Verizon? I am wondering if there is an issue with the integrity of the file source.

I used a third party site only because I downloaded it the Sunday before Verizon opened their servers. I am also a Sprint customer, but that is neither here nor there...

So for those of you who have bricked Tour's, where did you download the file?
    04-04-10 11:58 AM
    I actually did not have any problems either and I was running the leaked! Where can I get the official? I'm on Sprint as well.
    04-04-10 12:03 PM
    I actually did not have any problems either and I was running the leaked! Where can I get the official? I'm on Sprint as well.
    RIM hosts the file on their website under verizon downloads... or atleast it should now that it is official. I have not tried to get it from them yet.
    04-04-10 01:01 PM
    i downloaded OS 5.0.0.591 by hooking up to Desktop Manager. So that takes the file from RIM, right? Then 3 days later my Tour bricked with a Tech Issue...return to place of purchase.

Maybe you're on to something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-10 01:55 PM
    i downloaded OS 5.0.0.591 by hooking up to Desktop Manager. So that takes the file from RIM, right? Then 3 days later my Tour bricked with a Tech Issue...return to place of purchase.

Maybe you're on to something.

I know I upgraded via DM, but I can't remember where I sourced the upgrade from. I do know that my Tour bricked 2 days post-upgrade.
    04-04-10 03:36 PM
    It's strange that it happens 2-3 days after the upgrade.

04-04-10 03:38 PM
    It's strange that it happens 2-3 days after the upgrade.

Indeed.

Where are the possible sources to download the official Verizon 5.0 from?
    04-04-10 04:24 PM
    I got my download from the vzw website and used bbsak to wipe and load os. I never load over the previous os. I did 2 phones and no issues with the os upgrading process. Now just hoping there is a miracle and we get an update with the bug fixes, heck I don't care if they address one bug at a time but show us real progress with releasing the fixes as they come, not when they think everything is done.
    Last edited by abtjason; 04-04-10 at 04:47 PM.
    04-04-10 04:28 PM
    I got my download from the vzw website and used bbsak to wipe and load os. I never load over the previous os. I did 2 phones and no issues with the os upgrading process. Now just hoping there is a miracle and we get an update with the bug fixes, heck I dond care if they address one bug at a time but show us real progress with releasing the fixes as they come, not when they think everything is done.
    I'm not familiar with "bbsak". Is there a thread that explains how to use bbsak to wipe (and also where to download bbsak) from?
    04-04-10 04:33 PM
    I'm not familiar with "bbsak". Is there a thread that explains how to use bbsak to wipe (and also where to download bbsak) from?
    start here http://crackberry.com/blackberry-swi...ife-bbsak-beta
    04-04-10 04:35 PM

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bbsak-help-409029/

04-04-10 04:37 PM
    What does "wiping" involve? Is that just another term for removing old software? Does wiping affect anything else on the phone (i.e. contacts, media, SMS, MMS, ect.)?

Sorry, but I'm a newbie and I'm confused!

I also just downloaded the upgrade today from my Desktop Manager on my mac and I don't want my phone to "brick"!

Thanks
    04-04-10 04:50 PM
    Here we go with attempt #2 on my previously bricked Tour (unbricked by downgrading to 4.7)...

BBSAK v1.7 to wipe device (didn't do this last time)
    Downloaded the upgrade through VZW's site (pretty sure I downloaded from here previous time as well)
    Installed the new OS on the PC
    Loaded OS via BBSAK (used DM last time)
    04-04-10 04:56 PM
    Here we go with attempt #2 on my previously bricked Tour (unbricked by downgrading to 4.7)...

BBSAK v1.7 to wipe device (didn't do this last time)
    Downloaded the upgrade through VZW's site (pretty sure I downloaded from here previous time as well)
    Installed the new OS on the PC
    Loaded OS via BBSAK (used DM last time)
    So now I'm totally confused. It bricked this time during the upgrade; first time it was 2 days post-upgrade. As I mentioned somewhere else previously, it seems that I can't load 5.0 again at all now that my phone bricked previously. My last attempt to re-install was through DM and without wiping the device using BBSAK. I thought this route would allow me to go to 5.0 again, even if it were to brick a few days later

Good thing I have the replacement Tour on the way...
    04-04-10 05:03 PM
    What does "wiping" involve? Is that just another term for removing old software? Does wiping affect anything else on the phone (i.e. contacts, media, SMS, MMS, ect.)?

Sorry, but I'm a newbie and I'm confused!

I also just downloaded the upgrade today from my Desktop Manager on my mac and I don't want my phone to "brick"!

Thanks
    A wipe removes everything on the phone, contacts, messages, apps, ect. before you wipe it you need to make a back up to put back on phone once the os is loaded. no back up then you have lost everything.
    04-04-10 05:04 PM
    So now I'm totally confused. It bricked this time during the upgrade; first time it was 2 days post-upgrade. As I mentioned somewhere else previously, it seems that I can't load 5.0 again at all now that my phone bricked previously. My last attempt to re-install was through DM and without wiping the device using BBSAK. I thought this route would allow me to go to 5.0 again, even if it were to brick a few days later

Good thing I have the replacement Tour on the way...
    What error message did you get this time? The same Tech Error? That is strange. i'm glad i got a new device. i'm starting to think that error is a combinations of the new OS and some defect on certain Tours. When did you get your Tour? Mine was shipped in July so it was one of the originals.

Good that you have a new Tour coming.

04-04-10 05:08 PM
    Will try thanks
    04-04-10 05:08 PM
    What error message did you get this time? The same Tech Error? That is strange. i'm glad i got a new device. i'm starting to think that error is a combinations of the new OS and some defect on certain Tours. When did you get your Tour? Mine was shipped in July so it was one of the originals.

Good that you have a new Tour coming.

Yup, same error -- "technical issue, return device to place of purchase." I've attempted to re-load 5.0 twice now after it first bricked, which like you, occurred several days after a "successful" upgrade. The first attempt was using DM, and this time was several minutes ago after wiping the device with BBSAK.

This is my second Tour, and I believe I got this one (a refurbed unit) about 2- 3 months after they first came out? I believe I got my first Tour about a week after it was released.
    04-04-10 05:16 PM
    A wipe removes everything on the phone, contacts, messages, apps, ect. before you wipe it you need to make a back up to put back on phone once the os is loaded. no back up then you have lost everything.
    If I backup using Desktop Manager, is everything for sure saved? I'm so nervous to use if for the first time!

Also, is it possible to restore more than one backup? Some of my earlier backups may contain information that had been deleted by the time a later backup was performed.

Thanks again
    04-04-10 05:31 PM
    When I used DM and the OS download from Verizon, everything was automatically restored during the installation of the OS (and I didn't lose anything). If I want to re-install using BBSAK, do I then use DM to restore contacts, pictures, calendar, etc?

My basic problem is the browser - it is very slow, and I can't always get use the click function to enlarge/navigate. Will a wipe & reinstall help?
    04-04-10 10:04 PM
    When I used DM and the OS download from Verizon, everything was automatically restored during the installation of the OS (and I didn't lose anything). If I want to re-install using BBSAK, do I then use DM to restore contacts, pictures, calendar, etc?

My basic problem is the browser - it is very slow, and I can't always get use the click function to enlarge/navigate. Will a wipe & reinstall help?
    Yes, I believe you do use DM to restore your backup.

From what I gather, it seems that you're experiencing the click issue and I don't think a wipe and reinstall will automatically help?

Why not use Opera Mini (or Bolt) as your main browser?
    04-04-10 11:16 PM
    Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried to install OS 5.0.484 instead of downgrading all the way to 4.7 when this happens? I don't hear of near as many problems with Sprint OS .484. Just curious...
    04-05-10 06:21 PM
    I did not upgrade but I've read that other folks have gone back to either the .484 or .419 both are quite stable and provide the benefits of OS 5 without the bugs of the new Verizon version.
    04-05-10 07:31 PM
    Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried to install OS 5.0.484 instead of downgrading all the way to 4.7 when this happens? I don't hear of near as many problems with Sprint OS .484. Just curious...
    If you can provide a source to .484, I'm willing to brick my phone again and unbrick it by going to .484 instead of 4.7.
    04-05-10 09:37 PM
    my was downloaded OTA via wireless update. Bricked. Wasnt the actual OS install that bricked my phone, but the native app update pop up that bricked it. Installed the updates to the native apps, then reboot. BAM.. stuck rebooting. had to wipe the phone.
    04-05-10 09:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD