So has anyone gotten this error and changed their OS or recovered their device WITHOUT losing everything? aka txt messages e-mails, todo lists, calander stuff, applications ALL of it?!?!

A response would be appreciated because i went from the sprint standard version OS on my phone, tryied to upgrade to the new BBM...got the Reload 552 error.

Now I'm upgrading the OS to .230 thru app loader....hope it works.

Any feedback would be great im really about to lose it :-\
    10-07-09 10:31 PM
    I wish I could help but I'm in the same boat. I have a bad feeling that all will be lost when\if you can re-install the new OS. Isn't this ridiculous?

Please tell me what happens to your device? Also, how does one use app loader to install the new OS? Are you sure you want to go to 5.0? Do all your apps work with it?

Thanks for the guidance.
    10-07-09 10:49 PM
    i downloaded new BBM from app world, said it was installing and then the ERROR 552 message came up, was freaking out because thought my Tour was bricked, so I did a battery pull and it installed perfectly and nothing was deleted! i consider myself pretty lucky
    10-08-09 12:24 AM
    Sometimes you loose your data sometimes you don't. That just illustrates the importance of backing up your database regularly.
    10-08-09 01:40 AM
    It happens, as previously stated, always backup your berry before you do anything and reguarly
    10-08-09 01:41 AM
    Error 552 is the #1 reason I upgraded to 5.0.0.230. It would never strike after installing the same app. I have been able to recover from it several times. .230 certainly has its quirks, but at least the phone always turns on no matter what I try to install.

I fire up apploader and remove applications until the phone finally boots and backup immediately. Usually I just need to remove the last app I installed, but sometimes I could only get the phone to boot after removing just about everything.
    Once you get the phone to boot and do a backup, your best bet is to reload the OS. It does not always work, but more times than not, it has for me.

Backup!Backup!Backup! And this won't be as big a pain next time.
    10-08-09 02:13 AM
    Error 552 is the #1 reason I upgraded to 5.0.0.230. It would never strike after installing the same app. I have been able to recover from it several times. .230 certainly has its quirks, but at least the phone always turns on no matter what I try to install.

I fire up apploader and remove applications until the phone finally boots and backup immediately. Usually I just need to remove the last app I installed, but sometimes I could only get the phone to boot after removing just about everything.
    Once you get the phone to boot and do a backup, your best bet is to reload the OS. It does not always work, but more times than not, it has for me.

Backup!Backup!Backup! And this won't be as big a pain next time.
    Glad I'm not the only one! I'm trying the upgrade to 5.0.0.230 now. Wish me luck!
    10-08-09 04:44 AM
    Were you able to reload the OS? Is it really wise to install a beta OS? Seems dangerous to me.

Almost as dangerous, according to RIM support last night, as listening to anything on Crackberry which "based on its name alone shows they are not knowledgeable about Blackberry devices"!!

Do you believe that she actually said that after bricking my phone with an official app on an official OS?
    10-08-09 07:14 AM
    Were you able to reload the OS? Is it really wise to install a beta OS? Seems dangerous to me.

Almost as dangerous, according to RIM support last night, as listening to anything on Crackberry which "based on its name alone shows they are not knowledgeable about Blackberry devices"!!

Do you believe that she actually said that after bricking my phone with an official app on an official OS?
    You're new so I won't flame you but you need to understand a few things:

1. There is absolutely NO RISK to installing a leaked OS other than possibly loosing your data. All of the OS's out there with the exception of hybrids are official RIM builds. They may not have been meant for public use but if they were completely unstable they would never have made it outside the labs. Worst case scenario you wipe the hand held and do a fresh install of the old OS.
    2. Crackberry is the best source of BB information on the internet PERIOD. Why? Because of she sheer volume of BB experts on here and the fact that they dont sugar coat things. They tell it like they see it and don't censor things, unlike RIM who are trying to protect themselves.
    3. The name "crackberry" refers to the addiction that people have to their Blackberries not to "crackers" or whatever you thought it did.
    4. Crackberry has several people on here who actually WORK FOR RIM
    5. The rep you talked to is an ***** and because she is being monitored has to tote the company line.

And yes I got it installed and it works better than 4.7.1 ever did. Yes there are a few apps with issues but overall things work and when I do a battery pull or a reset after installing/removing an app I don't have to hold my breath about weather it is going to come up again.
    10-08-09 09:25 PM
    Sometimes you loose your data sometimes you don't. That just illustrates the importance of backing up your database regularly.
    Yup. I learned my lesson. I had a month old backup. Thanks a lot RIM!
    10-08-09 09:33 PM
    Provided you backed your info up, you can recover from this error. This happened to me earlier when downloading the new BBM 5.0 through App world. I was freaking out that my freaking TOUR got bricked because of this. With the help of one of the techs, I was able to get my Tour back up & running. What you have to do is follow the directions below & you'll be back up & running in about an hour or so. This is directly from Blackberry Tech Support.

Overview

The process of upgrading the BlackBerry� Device Software fails and the BlackBerry smartphone displays a white screen with one of the following errors:

App Error 522

Reload software 552

Cause

An application was not indexed correctly and resulted in a failure to properly initialize the applications. The Application Loader feature of the BlackBerry Desktop Software should be used to remove any newly installed applications that may have contributed to this state.

Resolution

Complete the following steps to resolve this issue:

1.Verify that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and the current BlackBerry Device Software (for your BlackBerry smartphone) is installed on the computer.
    2.Remove the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone.
    3.Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    4.Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer. Do not insert the battery.
    5.Click Application Loader.
    6.Under the Update Software heading, click Start.
    7.Click Options. This allows you to add or remove applications from the BlackBerry smartphone.
    8.Select the applications that you want to install.
    9.Click Next.
    10.Click Next.
    11.Click Finish.
    12.Once the application load process starts, insert the battery into the BlackBerry smartphone.
    10-08-09 10:20 PM
    Yup. I learned my lesson. I had a month old backup. Thanks a lot RIM!
    Any time I upgrade anything (the OS or an app where old fles will be overwritten requiring a reboot) I connect to the DM and make a fresh backup just in case.
    10-08-09 11:09 PM
    I'm not quite sure why you would even consider flaming me for asking a simple question about installing a leaked OS.

I had a bad experience and sought the advice of those I thought could be helpful. I was very surprised that RIM would release an app that had the risk of bricking their device, whatever the reason.

I understood the comment about Crackberry was ridiculous and how Crackberry got its name. If I thought her comment was accurate (or the comments by the RIM tech guy about the dangers of leaked OS's) I wouldn't be reading/posting on this forum.

As for OS 5.0, it would be nice of someone could articulate the benefits vs the risks doing the install. I am leery about installing any new apps at this point as it seems risky. I download software on multiple computers on multiple operating systems as well as have downloaded applications on multiple smartphone OS's and have never had a problem like this.

Either RIM's software development program needs work or I've been incredibly lucky.

Thanks for the insights.
    10-09-09 08:53 AM
    My tour experienced the same thing and It did load fine back up. I do have a problem now that I am on 5.0. My computer does not have a driver that will charge my phone.
    10-09-09 09:01 AM
    I had that happen to a friend's. The phone was toast, Verizon replaced it. I couldn't even force load a new OS---it wasn't fun!
    10-09-09 11:22 PM
    Well with all honesty I know quite a bit about BBs. Unfortunately, my Tour got an 552 and got bricked. Yes bricked. So much so that after doing everything possible using BBSAK and what not, I had to take to vzw store. They were surprised to see this and thought I did something to it. I'm guessing it was a virus or something or a faulty Rom that finally kicked in. Now I have decided to not download any unofficial OS's anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 12:34 AM
    just future fyi to some - i thought mine was toast too. after trying a few differnet ways to reinstall the OS, i finally followed the instructions from a KnowledgeBase on BlackBerry's website, and I realized that I wasn't putting the battery in during the "initialization of the device" step. once i did that, the install went smooth as butter
    10-10-09 12:59 AM
    yeah... its nearly impossible to brick... a friend had the issue, and he thought he was screwed, and couldn't get OS to install via instructions. I used the loader, and after a few trys got the basic OS to install, and then loaded up apps, and all was good.

Basically if you see a white screen with an error message, there is some way to recover.
    10-10-09 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD