Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new phone next month and am pretty much set on the Tour. The main usage of my phone would include web browsing (checking Facebook, eBay, Hotmail, weather, Youtube), Instant Messenger, SMS, MMS, and the occasional phone call .

I love the form factor of the Tour and the keyboard looks very easy to use. Though I can save $15 a month if I get unlimited data on the EnV Touch (Vcast Pak? vs BlackBerry Internet Service).

So I was wondering how the native RIM browser compares to the EnV Touch. I've used the Voyager in the past and was impressed. Since the EnV Touch is pretty much a reworked Voyager, I would expect the same browsing experience, if not better. So my question is, has anyone seen both in action? How were the results? Can both handle YouTube? I believe both are Rev A phones if I'm not mistaken. Plus we know for sure that the LG wont have a 160 character block like the Storm has .

I know Skyfire is said to be amazing. Though I would suspect we still have a few months until a stable version shows up.

Knowing me, I'll still get the Tour. Though I'd like some input if you have the time .
    06-25-09 01:24 PM
    That's a video of the Tour browser, posted by someone from CB
    06-25-09 02:00 PM
    I've used the Voyager in the past and was impressed.
    The browser on that was pure junk. I hated having to wait for the entire page to render (slowly I might add) in order to begin scrolling around.
    06-25-09 02:28 PM
    The browser on that was pure junk. I hated having to wait for the entire page to render (slowly I might add) in order to begin scrolling around.
    I never actually owned the phone, but a friend showed me a page (already loaded) and it resembled a PC browser. I was impressed. I did a little researching and found out that it probably took him over 45 seconds to load that page up before showing me .

Though I'd be lying if I say the EnV Touch didn't surprise/impress me. Check out this .

Note: I'm not trying to convert anyone from BB to LG, but I'm hoping for some points on why the Tour is better. Oh, and worth the extra $15 for the unlimited data.
    06-25-09 02:40 PM
    I've used the Voyager in the past and was impressed.
    You're joking, right? The Voyager's browser is digustingly bad. It can't load half the pages you request it, and the touch is SO sensitive that it's hard to click on any links. Scrolling was choppy and annoying unless you used "full-screen" mode which was just poor programming.

I think you'll love the Tour's browser. And guess what... if you don't, you can always just download another one.
    06-25-09 02:45 PM
    Yes once the page loaded it was a great browser, except for the touch screen on the voyager not noticing where I was touching. Clicking on a link in that thing was terrible.

As far as reasons go as to why it would be better.

I keep pretty up on new phones. I never really gave blackberry a look until recently, I just always assumed they were junk (stemming from all of the problems and rumors of rim going under years ago). I hate winmo, so I looked at android, not too good yet, in the future it may be, but right now no. Then avoided palm as I have had 3 or 4 different palm pilots and thought them all to be pure garbage. The new palm seems neat, but it needs more time to prove itself. I then reluctantly checked out blackberry. I tried an 8900 and really liked it. Was hoping for an 8900 on VZW but found something called a tour. Went and tried a bold keyboard and was really really impressed. I then installed the simulator on my computer in order to get accustomed to the os. It functions really well and is easy enough to use. My friend has a berry that I mess around with when ever I get the chance (storm) and it is pretty good. The curve was a great phone, multiple people that I know have or had this. I really liked that phone as well. One friend has since switched to winmo and said that if/when slingbox releases a client for the berries, he would be right back. He hates winmo. Everyone that I know that has one really liked them as well. To me the tour is just the best choice. I feel that if you want smart phone features, get a smart phone, not a dumb phone that can do a few neat tricks. They never work out in the end.
    As far as dumb phones, I would go with an enV for the full querty, but the enV2 had problems with the keys on the front. My gf may be getting an enV3 shortly as she is not all about smart phones, though she does really like the apps for them.
    Last edited by Syco54645; 06-25-09 at 02:51 PM.
    06-25-09 02:48 PM
    For the extra $0.50 a day id go with a blackberry any day. I tried the EnV Touch when it first came out and i was not happy with it. It felt kinda sluggish to me when texting. I used to have the Voyager which i loved. But imho the Touch isn't as good of a phone. Not saying its a bad phone by any means cuz its not. Its just not a Blackberry. Once you go Black(berry) you cant go back!
    06-25-09 02:49 PM
    these 2 devices aren't really in the same class..

its going to be hard to get people to sit here and even come close to telling you that the env touch is better?

blackberrys can install new browsers..

ie opera mini and Bolt.. both of which will destroy that browser...

and even the internal browser is quite a bit better..

keep in mind though your needs are different then anyone elses..

blackberrys are email/messaging kings..

IE instant messengers facebook myspace email are pretty the top of the line for applications and push notifications...

but my point being is that is why the env touch is labled a "feature" phone and not a "smartphone"

your needs may not be meant for a blackberry but comparing a env touch to almost any smartphone out there is kind of a joke to be honest.
    06-25-09 02:51 PM
    There has always been a fine line between smart phones and dumb phones. The dumb phones had WAP browsers where the smart phones had true HTML. The dumb phones were restricted to preinstalled apps whereas smart phones allowed installation of new apps. Dumb phones had roughly 15 keys where smart phones had a fully qwerty.

Though it seems that non smart phones are starting to stand on the line as far as features go. Things such as qwerty keys, true HTML, and downloadable apps are starting to show their faces on flagship non smart phones.

If the EnV Touch is indeed sluggish, I wont consider it, but with the features it holds, it was worth the second look.
    06-25-09 03:06 PM
    The tour will be my second BB. I got a pearl and never looked back (not exactly the best bb, i know. But at the time i wanted a device that still felt like a phone)

if you get a BB you wont be disappointed. the data plan is well worth it. sure you get the web, but its so much more than that. google maps, face book apps, viigo.

10x better than any dumb phone.

if you want a non biased opinion you shouldn't ask here, lol
    06-25-09 03:13 PM
    To me it was the most sluggish while texting. It almost seemed like i was typing too fast for the phone to follow. I cant comment on the browser as i didnt once open it. I got the Touch because i didnt really want to pay the $30 a month for BIS so therefore i didnt get the data package for it. I realized that i couldnt go back to a "dumb"phone when i stopped getting emails and facebook notifications etc... So back to my trusty curve i went. All i can say is try the Touch and see if you like it. It just wasnt for me. I hope i have been helpful.
    06-25-09 03:15 PM
    Doode its all about downloading opera mini. Cutting the wait times in half if not faster... Plus the tour has wifi right? (Really not positive about that)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 03:23 PM
    Doode its all about downloading opera mini. Cutting the wait times in half if not faster... Plus the tour has wifi right? (Really not positive about that)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No the Tour does not have WiFi
    06-25-09 03:32 PM
    It's all about the apps for me. I considered one of those fancier dumbphones Verizon has been putting out, but some of the things I can do with my BB are just deal-breakers. That enV Touch does a lot of things right, like a normal 3.5mm stereo audio jack, and YouTube capabilities. But it's limited to what it already has. I would lose streaming internet radio, Google Maps, interchangable browsers, the way BB handles e-mail, and I'm always finding another new little app that makes my life a little easier... I couldn't switch back.
    06-25-09 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD