I'm going to punta cana tomorrow in the dominican republic. I still want to get emails, do I have to call verizon? Or can I just set it to global? This is my first blackberry and first time going out of the country with it so I'm a little confused :/
    Thanks!!
    01-01-10 01:00 PM
    I would call VZW Global dept. They will explain everything you need and associated costs. 800-711-8300
    01-01-10 01:33 PM
    On Sprint, you need to call and have them activate world calling - just once for the first time then it's good to go on future trips... VZ may be similar and there may be a prohibitive data cost for Int'l roaming - check to avoid any surprises!
    01-01-10 05:52 PM
    I have a Blackberry storm 2, and verizion... does anyoe have any prior expereince with the service in Punta Cana? verizon said that they set me up with a pro rated global plan but i want to make sure it will actually have service down there mainly to use BBM to keep in touch with loved once... Any replys and info would be greatly appreciated.. thank you
    01-02-10 01:17 PM
    I have a Blackberry storm 2, and verizion... does anyoe have any prior expereince with the service in Punta Cana? verizon said that they set me up with a pro rated global plan but i want to make sure it will actually have service down there mainly to use BBM to keep in touch with loved once... Any replys and info would be greatly appreciated.. thank you
    If they set you up with the plan, they have checked their systems and it will work. There are not many countries that the phone will not work in.
    01-02-10 01:24 PM
    Wierd thing is when i first called verizion the lady told me that verizon didnt have a contract with the DR cell provider so i was not able to get a global plan in the dr... i called a second time and the gentleman told me that he set global up for me, who do i believe?
    01-02-10 02:00 PM
    Just checked out the VZW international site. DR is a CDMA techonolgy country. To double check if you like you can call directly to the VZW Global team at 800-711-4899
    01-02-10 03:04 PM
    We go to Punta Cana every year for vacation. I can confirm that my phone always works there. I did not call Verizon before going. The only issue is that you'll be roaming while you're there, so your voice and data plans don't apply. You'll be paying roaming rates for everything; voice, data and text messages.
    01-02-10 08:38 PM
    I'm going to punta cana tomorrow in the dominican republic. I still want to get emails, do I have to call verizon? Or can I just set it to global? This is my first blackberry and first time going out of the country with it so I'm a little confused :/
    Thanks!!
    I actually just came back from Punta Cana(thanks to my inlaws!!) and everything worked down in the Dominican. I did call Sprint to set up an international rate for the week I was down there.

Internet, emails and sms worked fine.

Have a great time!
    01-02-10 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD