First let me state that I am not driven by product reviews, but I enjoy gathering multiple reviews and information and seeing if any patterns exist.

A week or so before the release of the BB Storm, I scoured the net searching for reviews, information and feedback. Most of the reviews at the time were mediocre to poor regarding the device. The many lackluster reviews and negative feedback concerned me and I canceled my Storm order. Wanting to see the device for myself, I went to the VZW store at release and found the Storm to be extremely buggy and in line with what I had read and researched online. I was ticked off and disappointed that the device I desperately wanted did not meet my high expectations. I have been waiting for the Tour ever since.

As we wind down to our last week before the Tour's release, again I am scouring the net looking at reviews, information and user feedback.

I am amazed and relieved at how positive the early reviews have been towards the Tour. Obviously, I will try the device for myself, but it's good to know that a variety of reputable and independent reviews have claimed this phone "to be one of the best in VZWs lineup."

On a side note I am interested in seeing what David Pogue has to say about the Tour. Last year he ripped the Storm to Shreds in his NY Times review.
    07-05-09 06:30 PM
    On a side note I am interested in seeing what David Pogue has to say about the Tour. Last year he ripped the Storm to Shreds in his NY Times review.
    Don't know what he'll have to say, but you can rest assured he'll find a way to fit in an iPhone comparison.

As for the reviews that are already out, it's refreshing to see something positive for a change.
    07-05-09 06:38 PM
    I am excited about this phone and hope it lives up to the reviews. This will be the first phone of this nature that I get without waiting a few weeks until after release.
    07-05-09 06:38 PM
    I can't agree more with the OP. The early reviews of the storm were terriable, and they still are as a matter of a fact. However, the Tour is getting people bowing in front of it, the reviews are insane how many people love it so far. The only negitive thing I have heard abotu it was the lack of wifi, but thats it! The phones going to be great! we needed this phone badly ever since the storm came out!
    07-05-09 06:42 PM
    Agreed ! storm reviews sucked , and well , the storm sucked , the tour reviews ROCK , and im sure the device will too , as some have quoted my favorite one was " Verizon + Tour = best blackberry expierence on the planet ! "
    07-05-09 06:58 PM
    With all do respect I think that the reviews on this phone will mean very little.. Aside from some slight changes in hardware this phone is not bringing anything new to the table that would be different than say the Bold. So I think it's safe to assume this will be a solid well made Blackberry for the CDMA carriers that will be reviewed very similar to how the Bold was.
    07-05-09 07:32 PM
    First let me state that I am not driven by product reviews, but I enjoy gathering multiple reviews and information and seeing if any patterns exist.

A week or so before the release of the BB Storm, I scoured the net searching for reviews, information and feedback. Most of the reviews at the time were mediocre to poor regarding the device. The many lackluster reviews and negative feedback concerned me and I canceled my Storm order. Wanting to see the device for myself, I went to the VZW store at release and found the Storm to be extremely buggy and in line with what I had read and researched online. I was ticked off and disappointed that the device I desperately wanted did not meet my high expectations. I have been waiting for the Tour ever since.

As we wind down to our last week before the Tour's release, again I am scouring the net looking at reviews, information and user feedback.

I am amazed and relieved at how positive the early reviews have been towards the Tour. Obviously, I will try the device for myself, but it's good to know that a variety of reputable and independent reviews have claimed this phone "to be one of the best in VZWs lineup."

This very accurately captures my feelings! I had a Storm for four days before taking it back -- the longest four days of my life! The UI was unresponsive, the accelerometer lagged tremendously, and the SurePress screen was also unresponsive, and would not even press at one of the corners. The phone was a joke.

So here I was, left for many months waiting of a decent Blackberry to come out on Verizon. I might have picked up a Curve in the meantime, if it had had MMS.
    07-05-09 08:11 PM
    This very accurately captures my feelings! I had a Storm for four days before taking it back -- the longest four days of my life! The UI was unresponsive, the accelerometer lagged tremendously, and the SurePress screen was also unresponsive, and would not even press at one of the corners. The phone was a joke.

So here I was, left for many months waiting of a decent Blackberry to come out on Verizon. I might have picked up a Curve in the meantime, if it had had MMS.
    The 8330 curve on VZW does have MMS, at least the new ones. I returned the storm as well after a few days and bought a curve to hold me over until the Tour.
    07-05-09 08:16 PM
    First off, I take my blunt out to the OP for researching and reading the reviews for both devices AND then making an informed decision to wait to see it himself.

I too was looking to purchase the Storm but a lot of early video and reviews made me hold off as well.

The positive reviews rolling in are pretty indicative of what we will see when they roll it out. A pretty solid and reliable device.

This is what RIM does best so I was fairly confident in pre-ordering it. Not to mention the popular bloggers (CB, BGR etc) gave it great reviews.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 08:32 PM
    Agree with OP, but my fault lied in the comments that followed the poor reviews for the Storm. I read many posts that said that the poor reviews were because the reviewers had an older software version on it. Then when I got mine and it was buggy, I read that a software update to correct all the problems was right around the corner... I stuck with the Storm too long and now I am ready for a solid BB!
    07-05-09 08:39 PM
    To what extent if any, do you think these reviews can instigate a “domino effect” on people’s perception of the phones that receive an especially negative or positive review?
    Last edited by vllssv; 07-05-09 at 09:15 PM.
    07-05-09 09:10 PM
    To what extent if any, do you think these reviews can instigate a “domino effect” on people’s perception of the phones that were reviewed?
    Zero. The Storm continues to be an abomination : )

Even some people that gave it a fair shake have given up on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 09:16 PM
    Well I know there were some post .148 reviews of the Storm which were sort of okay. I'm just wondering how much the Storm's reputation may have added to the positive response of the Tour's anticipated arrival.

Anyway, I may just have go ahead and pick up the Tour
    Last edited by vllssv; 07-05-09 at 09:27 PM.
    07-05-09 09:25 PM
    agree with many here, the storm was very slow. I did all the OS upgrades I can and was still slow. now that the Tour is soon to be released, I say bye bye to the Storm. While the Storm may fit some people liking, it does not fit my needs.
    07-05-09 09:36 PM
    To what extent if any, do you think these reviews can instigate a “domino effect” on people’s perception of the phones that receive an especially negative or positive review?
    You really have to look for patterns in reviews. For instance, according to most reviews, the Storm's OS lagged, was buggy, the clickable screen had dead spots and many routine functions of the device experienced significant problems (camera, accelerometer, etc.). If one reviewer had said this, no problem, but when several reviewers all come to the same conclusion, you clearly see a pattern and you know what to be aware of, if you decide to try the device.

The Tour's review patterns have been spectacular. Snappy, great keyboard, screen, etc. etc...

The only knock, lack of wifi, for the vast majority of us is a concern but will not stop this phone from being bought.
    Last edited by supermike437433; 07-06-09 at 10:08 AM.
    07-06-09 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD