Hi all,

First of all, I got my blackberry a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. This is my first blackberry (first "smart phone" in general) and I am never going back to a "dumb phone" again.

Today while out on the tennis courts, I had the tour in the case that it came with. At one point, I moved my tennis bag a bit and the tour fell out of it onto the tennis court! Let me tell you that was not a great feeling. I examined the phone and the bezel had about 5 small dents in the top-left corner. So that means that the phone fell on one of the only parts of it that were not covered by the case. What a bummer.

Ever since, those dents have been bothering me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, especially when it comes to technology. On a brighter note, the drop did not seem to affect the performance of the phone as everything seems to still be working fine.

So now I have a few choices. I can either go to Verizon and get a replacement (make up some BS about how the phone is not working properly), buy a new bezel and attempt to replace it (makes me a bit uncomfortable) or just suck it up and forget about it.

I keep telling myself that I need to stop thinking about this as it is a minor issue but there is that voice inside of me that keeps reminding me of the dents.

What would you do? Thanks!
    08-02-09 10:34 PM
    Suck it up and forget about it, or use your insurance if you got it.

Do NOT make stuff up to get your phone replaced. It only makes it a lot harder for people with actual issues to get theirs replaced.

But, if you have no self dignity or respect, go for it.
    08-02-09 10:37 PM
    Hi all,

First of all, I got my blackberry a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. This is my first blackberry (first "smart phone" in general) and I am never going back to a "dumb phone" again.

Today while out on the tennis courts, I had the tour in the case that it came with. At one point, I moved my tennis bag a bit and the tour fell out of it onto the tennis court! Let me tell you that was not a great feeling. I examined the phone and the bezel had about 5 small dents in the top-left corner. So that means that the phone fell on one of the only parts of it that were not covered by the case. What a bummer.

Ever since, those dents have been bothering me. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, especially when it comes to technology. On a brighter note, the drop did not seem to affect the performance of the phone as everything seems to still be working fine.

So now I have a few choices. I can either go to Verizon and get a replacement (make up some BS about how the phone is not working properly), buy a new bezel and attempt to replace it (makes me a bit uncomfortable) or just suck it up and forget about it.

I keep telling myself that I need to stop thinking about this as it is a minor issue but there is that voice inside of me that keeps reminding me of the dents.

YOU dropped it, right? It was YOUR mistake, right? Ok, now that we've established that, YOU have to take responsibility here. YOU do NOT have the right to FRAUDULENTLY return the phone to Verizon and tell them it doesn't work.

Just so you're aware, there have been buzzings about how Carriers are handling things like this now. They are sending your phone away to tech support, and if tech support can't duplicate the problem you're talking about, they will bill you for the full retail price of the phone.
    08-02-09 10:41 PM
    I would make something up and have VZ replace it. LOL at the previous poster, no self dignity or respect, wtf? Its a phone replacement not an armed robbery. Sheeeeesh. These forums seriously need to lighten up. OP get a new one and enjoy it, be more careful!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 10:44 PM
    Hi all,

I would just get a case that covers up the ;ittle scratches and forget about it.

Peace
    08-02-09 10:45 PM
    I think you should just keep it. You dropped it so you keep it.
    08-02-09 10:46 PM
    I find it funny how this person gets sort of attacked for thinking of going to verizon to try to rip them off by telling a lie...

how is that any different from running tetherberry which clearly violates your terms of service...

just wondered :-)

to infinitbelt, why not file for an insurance replacement?
    I would make something up and have VZ replace it. LOL at the previous poster, no self dignity or respect, wtf? Its a phone replacement not an armed robbery. Sheeeeesh. These forums seriously need to lighten up. OP get a new one and enjoy it, be more careful!

You're right, it isn't armed robbery, it is fraud!

I'm so glad that the youth of today are being taught that someone else has to pay for their ignorance and neglect!

Wow. I bet you are a good friend to have around.

Yes, self dignity and self respect. If you can look at yourself in the mirror knowing that you just willfully performed a fraud on a company, then I don't really know what to say other than you need some type of help.

As Aetius said, you have to take responsibility. You can't just fraudulently return something that you messed up yourself and try to blame it on something else.

Alot of jurisdictions call this Theft by Deception.

It all boils down to what type of person are you. Are you honest, or are you a thief? We know which you are, now let's find out about the OP.
    08-02-09 10:51 PM
    YOU dropped it, right? It was YOUR mistake, right? Ok, now that we've established that, YOU have to take responsibility here. YOU do NOT have the right to FRAUDULENTLY return the phone to Verizon and tell them it doesn't work.

Just so you're aware, there have been buzzings about how Carriers are handling things like this now. They are sending your phone away to tech support, and if tech support can't duplicate the problem you're talking about, they will bill you for the full retail price of the phone.
    SORRY TO SOUND BAD ... I WORK IN RETAIL FOR 9 YEARS AND 4 YEARS IN HIGHER MANAGEMENT NO MATTER WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS RIGHT EVEN WHEN I KNEW I WAS RIGHT CUSTOMER WAS RIGHT.

TAKE YOUR PHONE BACK AND TELL EM THE BATTERY DOOR IS LOOSE OR YOU HAVE A SCREEN RIPPLE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND GET A NEW PHONE.

ENJOY THE PERKS OF BEING A CUSTOMER AND FOLLOWING THE RULES THAT THE CORPORATION HAS SET WHEN IT COMES THEIR PURCHASE/REFUND/EXCHANGE POLICY YOU DESERVE IT AS A CONSUMER

TRUST ME EVERYONE HERE DOES IT WITH ANY RETAILER
    08-02-09 10:51 PM
    SORRY TO SOUND BAD ... I WORK IN RETAIL FOR 9 YEARS AND 4 YEARS IN HIGHER MANAGEMENT NO MATTER WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS RIGHT EVEN WHEN I KNEW I WAS RIGHT CUSTOMER WAS RIGHT.

TAKE YOUR PHONE BACK AND TELL EM THE BATTERY DOOR IS LOOSE OR YOU HAVE A SCREEN RIPPLE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND GET A NEW PHONE.

ENJOY THE PERKS OF BEING A CUSTOMER AND FOLLOWING THE RULES THAT THE CORPORATION HAS SET WHEN IT COMES THEIR PURCHASE/REFUND/EXCHANGE POLICY YOU DESERVE IT AS A CONSUMER

Caps. Lock.

I'm so glad you work in higher management. I can't wait to hear what insightful pearl of wisdom you have when they move you to Upper Management. Will you have a red stapler?

A "perk" of being a customer does NOT include the willful omission of information. There are laws, policies and provisions written about this on the state, and federal levels.

I guess McDonald's doesn't follow the same laws as the rest of the Country does though.
    08-02-09 10:54 PM
    Speak for yourself. Not me.
    I'll second what Aetius says...

Fraudulent returns only hurt consumers in the long run...eventually carriers will realize device returns are becoming a big thorn in their side and will start doing things like charging full retail and making YOU go to the manufacturer to see if it can replaced.

Your mistake, you live with it, don't be a thief.
    I'll second what Aetius says...

Fraudulent returns only hurt consumers in the long run...eventually carriers will realize device returns are becoming a big thorn in their side and will start doing things like charging full retail and making YOU go to the manufacturer to see if it can replaced.

Your mistake, you live with it, don't be a thief.
    Proof of what Mike said:

Verizon has recently increased their monthly charges for Insurance as well as their deductible amount. Why? Because of things like this.
    08-02-09 10:55 PM
    Please don't lie. Learn to take responsibility. I ruined my phone and was tempted to lie, but I chose not to, believing that good would hopefully prevail. And it did.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/i-...ective-282781/

You have a few options:

If you have insurance, get a new phone. They are practically new b/c the body parts are replaced if messed up.

You could forgo your warranty and replace the part(s) yourself.

If you don't have insurance, get a case and cover up the marks.

If you don't want to do that, just try to put it out of your mind.
    Last edited by kingzee; 08-02-09 at 11:03 PM.
    08-02-09 10:57 PM
    If you wanted to void your warranty you could always replace just the bezel itself: BlackBerry Tour 9630 OEM titanium bezel - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G,
    08-02-09 10:59 PM
    Thanks for the replies! I don't feel comfortable about making up a reason and getting the phone replaced. Since it is my fault, I morally can't seem to do it. So I guess that that gets rid of that option.

I viewed a few threads about getting the bezel replaced. Doesn't seem too difficult but I am a bit afraid of messing something up. Would you recommend a bezel switch or should I just get a case or something to cover it up like some are saying?
    Furthermore--why should RIM, or any other manufacturer spend thousands of dollars on manufacturing a QUALITY phone when users are just going to rip them off like this?

I don't think swindlers deserve to have good phones.
    Congratulations on trading up to a Tour. I bought my Tour, also my first smart phone just about a week ago. I dropped it last Sunday. Just slipped right out of my hands. Luckily it landed on carpet but I got the message and went right down to Verizon and bought insurance. None of my friends carry insurance on their smart phones but it's just too easy to drop or nick these babies, or leave it somewhere.

I put a privacy screen over my BB screen and it is already scratched.

Be grateful your phone wasn't damaged. At $8 a month, insurance is a pain in the you-know-what, but if you damage your phone, you'll wish you had it.

As far as your cosmetic imperfection, forget about it! Think of it as battle scars and be proud of them. There is no way that your phone is going to be cosmetically perfect unless you get one of those monster covers, and they are too bulky and ugly to be practical, IMHO.

You know how athletes are proud when their uniforms get all dirty? It shows they've been playing. I think of the little scratches and imperfections of my BB as the signs of loving use and in two years I'll get another new one anyway, so who cares.
    08-02-09 11:03 PM
    Caps. Lock.

I'm so glad you work in higher management. I can't wait to hear what insightful pearl of wisdom you have when they move you to Upper Management. Will you have a red stapler?

A "perk" of being a customer does NOT include the willful omission of information. There are laws, policies and provisions written about this on the state, and federal levels.

I guess McDonald's doesn't follow the same laws as the rest of the Country does though.
    I DONT HAVE A RED STAPLER ANYMORE I LEFT THAT BEHIND AFTER I GOT BUMPED UP FROM A DIRECTOR TO A V.P. (AND IM ONLY 29)

AND MY BIG 6 FIGURE SALARY IS A NICE PERK TOO.

AND THE CAPS LOCK IS CAUSE IM IN THE BIG TIME

HOW MANY TIMES DID THAT B.S. 911 CHARGE HELP YOU SINCE YOU HAVE EVER USED A CELL PHONE

ASK YOURSELF THAT IN THE MIRROR AND IM SURE YOULL BE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE LINE GETTN YOUR REPLACEMENT PHONE.
    08-02-09 11:03 PM
    Thanks for the replies! I don't feel comfortable about making up a reason and getting the phone replaced. Since it is my fault, I morally can't seem to do it. So I guess that that gets rid of that option.

I viewed a few threads about getting the bezel replaced. Doesn't seem too difficult but I am a bit afraid of messing something up. Would you recommend a bezel switch or should I just get a case or something to cover it up like some are saying?
    Just ignore it dude. If you think this is the last time you're going to get a scratch or a dent on that device, you are sadly mistaken.
    08-02-09 11:04 PM
    I DONT HAVE A RED STAPLER ANYMORE I LEFT THAT BEHIND AFTER I GOT BUMPED UP FROM A DIRECTOR TO A V.P. (AND IM ONLY 29)

HOW MANY TIMES DID THAT B.S. 911 CHARGE HELP YOU SINCE YOU HAVE EVER USED A CELL PHONE

ASK YOURSELF THAT IN THE MIRROR AND IM SURE YOULL BE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE LINE GETTN YOUR REPLACEMENT PHONE.
    Can't......stop.......laughing.......please....... ..help............
    08-02-09 11:05 PM
    If you aren't 100% sure you know what you are doing, or just don't feel good about it, I would suggest not doing it.

You could try a case. I would recommend a Phantom Skinz "case" because it preserves the look of the phone and would probably make the dents less noticable. I had a few nicks in my screen and when I put the Phantom Skinz on, they are barely there at all.
    08-02-09 11:06 PM

My pillows are bigger than your pillows.

ie: WHO CARES?

08-02-09 11:06 PM

VP in retail....you seem really smrt...did you work for Circuit City?
    08-02-09 11:07 PM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD