So my girl friend dropped her brand new tour in the tub. So she took the battery out immediately and I told her to put the phone in a bag with rice...well the phone works fine now but whenever she presses the power button the led will light up and for a few days whenever she would type the led would go crazy. So has anyone ever experienced this before...maybe a fix?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by gdoggmil04; 09-26-09 at 06:43 PM.
    09-26-09 06:41 PM
    How long has it been since it got wet. I usually takes several days(4-5) to dry out. It could also be dust from the rice inside the device or residue from the startches. Rice has been suggested many times but is not the ideal method to dry out a wet electronic device. If it was a recent swim, get the battery out and let it dry out more. I suggest using decicant silica gels. (those little packets that come in shoes and handbags from the store. If it has been a while since the dunk, it may be debris inside the device or it could be it just got shorted before she got the battery out.

Here's a good thread to check out:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...ht-way-318876/
    09-26-09 07:08 PM
    Even if it has been a few days since this happened, the method in the post above(and my sig) could do wonders for her, because there is obviously a problem in the phone right now. Short of that, insurance is the next option.
    09-26-09 07:12 PM
    So my girl friend dropped her brand new tour in the tub. So she took the battery out immediately and I told her to put the phone in a bag with rice...well the phone works fine now but whenever she presses the power button the led will light up and for a few days whenever she would type the led would go crazy. So has anyone ever experienced this before...maybe a fix?

glad the phones workign for her after taking a dip in a tub, water does some strange things to a phone....

if I were her though and seeing the LED act up like its doing, I would do a hard wipe to the phone and reinstall the OS... if anything, that would clear up the LED problem
    09-26-09 07:13 PM
    I will def check that thread out. I will also try upgrading her phone to .53 and see if that does anything. She doesn't have insurance but she is still within the thirty days so I'm guessing we can still add it.

09-26-09 07:17 PM
    Depends on how long you left it in the rice. Usually with these type of things you want to leave it there for over night. It doesn't always work, try it one more time but if that doesn't work then you are s.o.l.

09-26-09 07:18 PM
    She only did it overnight cause she needed her phone obviously lol

09-26-09 07:31 PM
    well if it's within 14 days of getting it from the store you might still be able to return it and say you just dont want it...It's not the most honest path 2 take but these big retailers can usually afford the hit..lol
    09-26-09 07:34 PM
    If water has touched the metal circuits in the phone, that phone is toast.. corrosion is inevitable.
    No matter what you do, the phone will be useless.
    09-26-09 07:41 PM
    glad the phones workign for her after taking a dip in a tub, water does some strange things to a phone....

if I were her though and seeing the LED act up like its doing, I would do a hard wipe to the phone and reinstall the OS... if anything, that would clear up the LED problem
    Installing the OS again will not fix anything if it is a hardware issue. Maybe it's worth exploring, but I wouldn't count on it working.
    09-26-09 07:49 PM
    Overnight is not nearly long enough to dry out the phone. Rice is not going to help it that much. I would get the battery out now before you short it out completely. If it's water damaged the store won't likely swap it even under the 30 days. Again, it needs to dry for several days. Ask her this...would she rather be without the phone for several days or have to pay full price for a new one.
    09-26-09 07:50 PM
    So even if it still works you guys think the phone isn't completely dry?

09-26-09 08:28 PM
    If you have a dehumidifier put the phone at the outlet where it blows out the dried air so it blows in/around the phone. Probably offers the best chance of drying it out with dry air blowing through it.

And suggest not bathing when the phone is anywhere nearby.

09-26-09 08:34 PM
    Haha my gf did the exact same thing. The rice didn't fully salvage it. Good thing she had insurance!
    09-26-09 08:36 PM
    So even if it still works you guys think the phone isn't completely dry?

No...the odds are you would have gotten the same result right after the tub dip. You need to get it dry before the water migrates into vital areas like the keyboard. That is the most common place for residual moisture. Get it dried out for a few days in a container with some silica gels in it before you have more troubles.

Edit:
    By the way...Silica Gel can adsorb up to 40% of its weight in moisture and has the highest absorption capacity of any commercially used desiccant
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-26-09 at 08:50 PM.
    09-26-09 08:46 PM
    Yea too bad she doesn't have insurance...but like I said i think she can still add it within 30 days of buying the phone. Anyone that works for verizon confirm this?
    09-26-09 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD