I called tech support today after experiencing my first and only dropped call with my Tour. Mind you it was in my basement at home and I get very little to no signal and have experienced dropped calls with other phones before. Long story short basically after he checked my line he noticed conflicts (interference) with my line and asked me if I still had my old phone with me (Pearl). Apparently my Pearl wasn't deprogrammed properly (it was still programmed with my phone number) and since both my Tour and Pearl were both programmed with same number it caused conflicts on the network which COULD cause signal issues and dropped calls. So he deprogrammed my old Pearl and asked me to monitor my Tour for a few days and said it should be better. Please don't flame me if there is no truth to this, I am just explaining what I was told by tech support. I am posting this for the sole purpose that if true, it can maybe help others in here with signal/dropped calls issues. Is there any sense to what he told me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 04:33 PM
    No, it makes no sense. The signal strength your Tour is receiving should have zero to do with another device, as far as I know. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It also makes no sense because I assume you didn't get good signal in your basement on your Pearl either.

And last, it doesn't make sense that you would call support after having your one and only dropped call, especially when you know you don't have good coverage where you were.

It is odd that your old phone was still active, though.

08-02-09 04:39 PM
    Acutally the main reason I called was for lower signal reception with the Tour compared with other phones and hoping he had an answer for me. But after testing my line, that's what he came up with. Also he didn't tell me it would improve my signal. He said the conflicts didn't help and could cause dropped calls .

Last edited by GG1; 08-02-09 at 05:00 PM.
    08-02-09 04:48 PM
    I've had 1 dropped call on my phone, it was in a low reception area while driving and seemed to have trouble transferring to the other tower.
    08-02-09 04:58 PM
    Sounds like a good made up story to satisfy your concern and get you off the line. I use to work for vzw in tech support so I am well aware of what can and can't be done.
    08-02-09 05:29 PM
    I don't know if this is true; however, in the past, when I activate a new blackberry, I always turn off the radio on the old phone, and go into the CDMA service screen and replace all instances of my phone number with 0's just in case.
    08-02-09 05:42 PM
    I don't know if this is true; however, in the past, when I activate a new blackberry, I always turn off the radio on the old phone, and go into the CDMA service screen and replace all instances of my phone number with 0's just in case.
    That is exactly what he made me do with my phone. It still had my phone number programmed in it.

08-02-09 05:48 PM
    Sounds like a good made up story to satisfy your concern and get you off the line. I use to work for vzw in tech support so I am well aware of what can and can't be done.
    That probably makes more sense than what he told me.

08-02-09 05:50 PM
    It's actually not a line of bs... when talking about "receiving" calls and text messages this can cause issues. It will have zero effect with dropped calls however.
    As for calling tech support because you had 1 dropped call while underground and behind a layer of concrete?.... well common sense maybe should have kicked in there...
    08-02-09 07:59 PM
    I haven't had a single dropped call with my Tour, hooray! But what a PP said makes sense, and it is weird that both phones were somehow still active. It makes you want to double check your phone bills to see if you got charged on the phone you just sold!
    08-02-09 08:02 PM
    I have my last 6 phones right be side me 2 Touch Pros, 1 Mogul, 1 Pre, 1 Tour that works now, 1 Lotus all have the same MSID and MDN programed to my phone number and they have no effect to how I use my phone. Like said before it was just to make you feel better. To switch to any phone I just need to do a ESN swap and I am up and running in less then 10min. But I do hop your issue is fixxed.
    08-02-09 08:40 PM
    As for calling tech support because you had 1 dropped call while underground and behind a layer of concrete?.... well common sense maybe should have kicked in there...
    I know I made it sound like I called because on 1 dropped call in my basement but it's not the case. I had dropped calls before with my other phones and never called because I know that is a weak spot in my house. After my dropped call I called tech support hoping he had an answer for my weak and unstable signal now that the Tour has been out for a couple of weeks. He is the one who asked me if I had dropped calls and then proceeded to test my line/connection and obviously saw something cause he said right away my old phone was still programmed and after checking.... He was right. Now if it is possible that it can cause issues, I thought it would be good to let people know. Also wanted some imput fom more experienced crackberrians which is much appreciated.

Last edited by GG1; 08-02-09 at 08:52 PM.
    08-02-09 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD