So I called the big red today to move my personal line to my family's, family share plan. Regardless of the type of family plan, half way through the assumption of liability, the representative tells me:

"Please acknowledge that by moving your line to your family's share plan you will be voiding your one year manufacturers warranty on your blackberry"

Me: **** no! I just got the Tour a month ago!

Rep: Oh, but you have you insurance, if you have an issue with the phone, you can just pay the $50 deductible to solve any issues.

Me: No thanks, just leave everything how it is.

Moving to a family share plan would save $70+ a month.

Can any one confirm WHY they do this? and if I can work around losing my warranty on my freshly purchased Tour

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Beau79; 08-30-09 at 08:19 PM.
    08-30-09 08:04 PM
    Moving a phone from one line to another shouldn't void a manufacturer's warranty.

Call back and speak with someone with some sense.
    08-30-09 08:05 PM
    thats pretty strange...your trying to move to your parents family share plan because it will save you bucks?
    08-30-09 08:06 PM
    thats pretty strange...your trying to move to your parents family share plan because it will save you bucks?
    I'm not sure what you're saying is strange, but to clarify, our family business pays for my line, and also pays for the family share plan, so combining them, saves us over $70 a month.
    Last edited by Beau79; 08-30-09 at 08:26 PM.
    08-30-09 08:17 PM
    I was saying that it is strange that it voids your warranty...sorry about the clarification there...yea if I were you I would call back and get a diff. customer serv. rep and see what they say...sometimes it has taken me 3 reps to get what i want! : )
    08-30-09 08:23 PM
    I would try and check with another rep. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I believe the intial rep you spoke with misspoke.
    08-30-09 08:24 PM
    Thanks for the quick feed back, will call them back or go into the store tomorrow!
    08-30-09 08:27 PM
    No, I've done this before and had multiple reps tell me the same thing. For the warranty to be active, it has to be on the line it was originally activated on.
    08-30-09 08:30 PM
    No, I've done this before and had multiple reps tell me the same thing. For the warranty to be active, it has to be on the line it was originally activated on.
    Yup, I've been told the same thing by three different reps as well. Also, the deductible on Tours is now $90, not $50.
    08-30-09 08:34 PM
    That makes NO sense. It's a manufacturer's warranty. That's like telling me that if I buy a new car that the manufacturer's warranty will only be valid if I drive it on Main Street. If I am driving on Blue Avenue and my transmission blows, I'm out of luck.

It's a warranty on the device itself, it shouldn't matter if service is attached to it or not, imo. The device could be sitting in a box with no service at all and it should still be under the manufacturer's warranty.
    08-30-09 08:36 PM
    Yup, I've been told the same thing by three different reps as well. Also, the deductible on Tours is now $90, not $50.
    Wait, you talking about the MANUFACTURER'S warranty, or VERIZON'S warranty stuff?
    08-30-09 08:37 PM
    Well I don't think it should void the warranty, BUT, seeing as it saves you 70/month, it may be worth the gamble honestly if what the verizon rep said was true.
    08-30-09 08:38 PM
    if you drop your phone into the ocean...file and insurance claim with verizon...its going to cost you 90 bucks deductible
    08-30-09 08:39 PM
    So Sultan, as long as it remains on my line ending in 0477, and I move it, it'll be fine?
    08-30-09 08:40 PM
    That makes NO sense. It's a manufacturer's warranty. That's like telling me that if I buy a new car that the manufacturer's warranty will only be valid if I drive it on Main Street. If I am driving on Blue Avenue and my transmission blows, I'm out of luck.

It's a warranty on the device itself, it shouldn't matter if service is attached to it or not, imo. The device could be sitting in a box with no service at all and it should still be under the manufacturer's warranty.
    Some cars do come with a warranty that is NOT transferrable, sucks but its a true story.
    08-30-09 08:41 PM

I think the deductible change only happened if you JUST added a phone or service. I have had insurance for eyars and pay 4.95 and 50 dollar deductible, just did on a curve recently.
    08-30-09 08:42 PM
    Wait, you talking about the MANUFACTURER'S warranty, or VERIZON'S warranty stuff?
    The warranty is from RIM, it covered my messed up trackball last week. The warranty is a 3rd party through VZW, has nothing to do with RIM really. It's still $50 for me, they told me I was grandfathered in before they bumped it to $90.
    08-30-09 08:42 PM
    So Sultan, as long as it remains on my line ending in 0477, and I move it, it'll be fine?
    I'm not familiar with the ability to move to a different owner's plan and have the phone number stay the same. When I have done it, I've used an upgrade on another person's (work account) phone number. Then moved it over to my own personal number. That has voided the warranty.

HOWEVER. When I called to get my "Green Dot", the guy looked it up and said "you switched this to another line so it's out of warranty and will cost you $50 to get a new one". I talked him in to eating the $50 charge.

Also, I've never owned insurance so I'm not familiar with making claims to it, but I understand it has recently gone up considerably.
    08-30-09 08:43 PM
    How it works is that with an assumption of liability change, you are reassigning your number to a different account. The manufactuer only covers the warranty under the original person/account that it was bought on. And the warranty is non transferrable.

As for insurance its not suppose to carry over as well, its suppose to be removed at point of sale as the insurance company wont cover it either. Why that is , is they consider it your own equipment when you move it over to another account regardless of when it was purchased.

It's crappy yes, but the manufactuer's do not want to cover phones moved over to other peoples lines.
    08-30-09 09:30 PM
    Let's look at it this way. It doesn't matter if it voids your warranty or not. You save $70 a month and the insurance is $90. So it might cost you and extra $20 if you drop your phone next week but in the course of a year saves you $840. I doubt you are going to spend that much money in insurance claims in one year lol.
    08-30-09 10:38 PM
    I think the deductible change only happened if you JUST added a phone or service. I have had insurance for eyars and pay 4.95 and 50 dollar deductible, just did on a curve recently.
    Hmmm...I've had an insured Berry since the 6230 days (I've been with Verizon that entire time as well) and I've seen my insurance steadily go up. I'm now paying $7 something/month and it's a $90 deductible.
    08-30-09 11:01 PM
    Are you sure the rep understand properly? It sounds like the rep thought you were possibly moving the phone to another phone line? That would void the warranty.

I think you should explain you want to basically do an assumption of liabilty and that you are simply moving your line onto your family's plan; its not that you are just moving the phone. Not sure if you already explained that, but maybe this'll help.
    08-30-09 11:01 PM
    Nothing odd about it. If you are moving your phone from one account to another the warranty is voided. It's as if you sold the phone and they are not going to cover it.

As for what you pay for iunsurance, I believe VZW Corporate stores use one company for their insurance but Authorized dealers are allowed to set their on company, that would be the reason for a difference in rates. Not only would that concern me, my friend just upgraded her phone at a mall kiosk and the insurance was set up through a comapny I had never heard of and they couldn't even bill it on her VZW account, she had to give a credit card for it to be charged to.
    08-31-09 02:33 AM
    Not only would that concern me, my friend just upgraded her phone at a mall kiosk and the insurance was set up through a comapny I had never heard of and they couldn't even bill it on her VZW account, she had to give a credit card for it to be charged to.
    SKETCHY....
    08-31-09 05:49 AM
    If the two accounts are under different names, your warranty will be voided.

However, you should have no problems if it's two accounts under the same name.
    08-31-09 05:52 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD