or do I have to pay a fee to VZW?

I was trying just to use an app locating feature and it could never "find" me.
    09-28-09 10:49 AM
    It works great. Just make sure you're outside the first time you try to use it. That seems to help on the first use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 10:52 AM
    It's free and other apps can use it for navigation. Just make sure you turn it on.

Options>Advanced options>GPS
    Under GPS services select "location on".
    09-28-09 11:16 AM
    Yeah , it works flawlessly for me in everything including third party software!
    09-28-09 11:21 AM
    All right... thanks. I'll try again I guess.
    09-28-09 11:36 AM
    so ill be getting my tour in a couple weeks and i dont have have to worry about paying VZW so my fone can use the gps chip. i can choose any 3rd party app to get gps
    09-28-09 11:37 AM
    Blackberry maps work great on the Tour. Best
    09-28-09 11:38 AM
    One other thing about being outside. If you are in a house with a metal roof, that plays havoc with GPS satellite signals. Being outside one of these types of buildings is quite essential.
    09-28-09 11:42 AM
    make sure you have a clear view of the sky and give it time. Once in a great while it might take 3-5 min to get going, especially the first time you fire it up. Don't forget that GPS is dependent on conditions, albeit weather, electromagnetic fields(powerlines) or the amount of iron in the rock under your feet. These things can throw it off sometimes.
    09-28-09 11:46 AM
    Yeah it works great for all these people in this thread. But it is hit or miss for many others on here. Both me and my wife are on Tour #3 and our GPS still will not lock properly. Just says, searching for satellites endlessly and it gets ridiculous.There were others who had problems with more then one app accessing GPS at one time, and making it get stuck. Hopefully your GPS will work great like everyone's above me, but there are quite a few people like myself that it may work one out of 10 times or it takes multiple reboots to get it to lock on. Just an FYI, so you know up front.
    09-28-09 12:09 PM
    or do I have to pay a fee to VZW?

I was trying just to use an app locating feature and it could never "find" me.
    Go to the GPS setting in Advanced options and set the GPS to Location On.

This will allow maps to use the GPS.

Mike
    09-28-09 12:15 PM
    Yeah it works great for all these people in this thread. But it is hit or miss for many others on here. Both me and my wife are on Tour #3 and our GPS still will not lock properly. Just says, searching for satellites endlessly and it gets ridiculous.There were others who had problems with more then one app accessing GPS at one time, and making it get stuck. Hopefully your GPS will work great like everyone's above me, but there are quite a few people like myself that it may work one out of 10 times or it takes multiple reboots to get it to lock on. Just an FYI, so you know up front.
    Well I did try google maps a few times and the "my location" would always be off by about a quarter mile and it would just float around a little in that area, which is not where I really was.
    09-28-09 12:21 PM
    i use the GPS with:

BlackBerry Maps
    VZ Nav
    Poynt
    BerryWeather
    Google Maps with Latitude (within 3-10 meters)
    Twitter
    Bank Of America Find A Bank

Works great.

There are both free and pay turn by turn GPS apps available for the Tour.

09-28-09 12:25 PM
    Yeah if you have VZNAV than it works like a champ. I installed VZNAV and tada it worked perfectly. I don't want to pay for VZNAV since the phone has free GPS built in. I have noticed a lot of people on here who have no problems also have vznav installed.
    09-28-09 04:10 PM
    no vznav here and works just fine.
    09-28-09 05:55 PM
    Verizon Tour here. Just fired up the gps in gps-logger and after about 4-5 minutes I got a fix on the 2nd floor of my house - plywood and one layer of shingles. Opened BBMaps and it located me as did Googlemaps.

I had used it yesterday on a hike with gpslogger about 40 miles east of here.

I asked this in another gps thread but don't think I saw an answer. My garmin 76cs gets an almanac and that helps it after it has moved a considerable distance.

Do the gps units in the Tour (others) also get an almanac which would help them locate Satellites quicker on another startup.
    09-28-09 07:08 PM
    I sometimes perform a gps test (fix) to see how much time it takes .

09-28-09 07:21 PM
    gps using google maps on the sprint tour does not work...this has been well documented here and at google forums...still awaiting a fix from google..bb maps, poynt, and many other programs using gps on the sprint tour do work, however. Just fyi for the op

09-28-09 07:51 PM
    Even though it is enabled with location on, all i get is cell tower triangulation with the Tour when trying to use Google latitude.

Suggestions?
    09-28-09 07:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD