Does anybody know what format ringtones have to be to work. I like to make my own ringtones, I made hundreds for my Dare. I made them mid files and they will not work on my Tour. The tones on my Tour are M4A files, and I don't own a sound editing program that supports that format.

Also, are you able to just load the tones on my SDcard or do you have to use Desk Top Manager?
    07-16-09 02:49 PM
    mp3 works fine plug in bb and drag to sd card. in the ringtone folder

DONE!!!
    07-16-09 02:51 PM
    You can use:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
    Welcome to BitPim

Those you can open your MP3 and edit them to whatever you want and drop them into your Mem Card.
    07-16-09 03:16 PM
    wav files will also work
    07-16-09 03:17 PM
    You can use:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
    Welcome to BitPim

Those you can open your MP3 and edit them to whatever you want and drop them into your Mem Card.

I have a two hour podcast but like the sound bytes from the beginning. I'd also like to skip say the first 5 seconds, so I'd like to make a ringtone from say seconds 6-60. Is that Audacity what I need? Is there any program online to do the same thing?
    07-24-09 10:00 AM
    You can edit and/or select portions of an mp3 with Audacity. I think the duration of a ringtone is limited and I'm not sure it can be as long as 60 seconds but you can try it.
    07-24-09 10:39 AM
    as far as ringtones, no more than 30 seconds should be fine because that the same amount of rings until voice mail kicks in so you anything longer than that you'll never hear anyways.

I'm still toying with the optimal MP3 bit rate for the Tour's speaker because it's a waste to put a 3MB mp3 ringtone on your phone when the tour's speaker can't play CD quality when a sub-100K mp3 will sound just as good.
    07-24-09 11:34 AM
    One other thing to consider on the Tour.
    Take the extra time to use Roxio and drag your active tones and text alerts from the media card to the internal memory, (there already are media files setup in the internal memory).
    This way when you have your phone hooked to your pc, you'll actually hear it ring when you get a call.
    07-24-09 11:41 AM
    You can edit and/or select portions of an mp3 with Audacity. I think the duration of a ringtone is limited and I'm not sure it can be as long as 60 seconds but you can try it.
    Thanks, I'll give Audacity a shot. As for the duration, the 6-60 seconds was random. Seconds 6-20 should be fine.

Thanks!

EDIT: Got it! Thanks again!
    Last edited by cbwannabe; 07-26-09 at 09:40 AM.
    07-26-09 08:48 AM
    I recommend Audacity too as if you select the portion you want and go to effect, then High pass filter the speaker will not sound muffled when it rings, its a very nice program to work with.
    07-26-09 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD