I have been running 4.7 ever since the .591 update was released. Release .591 broke so many things for me, I rolled back to 4.7 almost immediately. I am *extremely* wary of installing .732, and I'm hoping people will be able to comment on the following issues which were present in .591. So far I haven't seen any of the following discussed in the threads about .732:

1) In .591, threaded SMS was introduced. There was no option to revert to (or preserve during the update) the old method of SMS display. Is this still the case with .732?

2) In .591, voicemail notifications were threaded into the SMS conversation corresponding to the phone number of the person who left the voicemail. Once this happened, it completely disabled the ability to send an SMS to that person. The only way to restore the ability to SMS that person was to delete the *entire* thread. This was not a universal issue - some users saw it happen on their Tour with .591, some did not. Has anybody who experienced it on .591 tried the .732 update yet, and is the issue still present?

3) In .591, call volume when using a handsfree kit (i.e. in a car) was drastically lower than on 4.7. This was true of both the incoming (speaker) volume and the outgoing (microphone) volume. This was especially frustrating in light of the fact that 4.7 had finally fixed this issue after two previous OS's had microphone-volume-on-handsfree issues, and then .591 broke it again. Does .732 fix the handsfree call volume problem?

I didn't keep .591 on my handheld long enough to even experience the browser click or battery drain issues, but it's nice to know that those have apparently been fixed. However, the above three points were the dealbreakers for me with .591, so I can't reliably go to .732 unless I can verify that they're fixed. Hopefully I'm not the only one for whom they're important details.

Looking forward to hearing people's findings.
    Last edited by RTGMusicMan; 06-15-10 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Updating Thread Title
    06-15-10 11:28 AM
    still has threaded sms.....not sure if you can revert back but I like the threaded sms...I use Google voice so i do not experience the voicemail being threaded into the sms chats. But I upgraded to .643 as soon as it was out and now running .732 and it is great. Sorry I can't comment precisely on what you were asking but overall it seems to be quite a stable OS and if you don't give it a shot you may never know the answers since it seems every handset responds differently to certain features.
    06-15-10 11:44 AM
    I tried this update after hating the last and going back to 4.7. Only thing I notice different from the previous update is that I can't mute ringtones when they go off. Plays the whole thing even when you answer!!! Going back to 4.7 as soon as I get home from work.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-15-10 11:46 AM
    I have been running 4.7 ever since the .591 update was released. Release .591 broke so many things for me, I rolled back to 4.7 almost immediately. I am *extremely* wary of installing .732, and I'm hoping people will be able to comment on the following issues which were present in .591. So far I haven't seen any of the following discussed in the threads about .732:

1) In .591, threaded SMS was introduced. There was no option to revert to (or preserve during the update) the old method of SMS display. Is this still the case with .732?

2) In .591, voicemail notifications were threaded into the SMS conversation corresponding to the phone number of the person who left the voicemail. Once this happened, it completely disabled the ability to send an SMS to that person. The only way to restore the ability to SMS that person was to delete the *entire* thread. This was not a universal issue - some users saw it happen on their Tour with .591, some did not. Has anybody who experienced it on .591 tried the .732 update yet, and is the issue still present?

3) In .591, call volume when using a handsfree kit (i.e. in a car) was drastically lower than on 4.7. This was true of both the incoming (speaker) volume and the outgoing (microphone) volume. This was especially frustrating in light of the fact that 4.7 had finally fixed this issue after two previous OS's had microphone-volume-on-handsfree issues, and then .591 broke it again. Does .732 fix the handsfree call volume problem?

I didn't keep .591 on my handheld long enough to even experience the browser click or battery drain issues, but it's nice to know that those have apparently been fixed. However, the above three points were the dealbreakers for me with .591, so I can't reliably go to .732 unless I can verify that they're fixed. Hopefully I'm not the only one for whom they're important details.

Looking forward to hearing people's findings.
    Hate to tell you, but #2 is NOT possible. Voicemail notifications are tagged in threaded SMS format via the Call Voicemail dial indicator or your own phone number, not the number of the person leaving the message.

Also, #1 won't be going away anytime soon. RIM changed to threaded SMS and unless they plan on changing the parser coding to allow for a choice of off or on, it's going to stay this way. Sorry.

#3 should be fixed with .732.
    06-15-10 04:45 PM
    I don't want to seem out of line here but #2 was totally possible as many people reported the same problem. With .732 the problem is fixed. When a person leaves a voicemail, a seperate thread is created for THAT CONTACT's VOICE MAILS. So if two people leave a voice mail, there are two threads that say voice mail. One from Contact A and one from Contact B.

And by the way, with all the people that have been begging for threaded SMS (me included), there's no way it's going away. That I will agree with.
    06-15-10 06:12 PM
    Does anyone have any feedback on whether the issue in 5.0.0.591 of duplicating calendar events on the phone is fixed with this new update?
    06-15-10 06:31 PM
    not really trying to be a d0uche but could you not have asked this in the other 5 threads that have like 8-10pages of questions?
    06-15-10 07:00 PM
    not really trying to be a d0uche but could you not have asked this in the other 5 threads that have like 8-10pages of questions?
    I could have, but there were too many different threads that didn't specifically address these issues, and most people are more interested in the browser click, battery life, and signal strength performance than these particular points. It made more sense to create this thread, dedicated to this question, and then post links to it in the other threads - which is exactly what I did. This way these questions - which probably seem irrelevant to most people on those other threads - don't get lost in the shuffle.
    06-15-10 11:19 PM
    Hate to tell you, but #2 is NOT possible. Voicemail notifications are tagged in threaded SMS format via the Call Voicemail dial indicator or your own phone number, not the number of the person leaving the message.
    I'm afraid you're mistaken. Perhaps your personal experience didn't include having voicemail notifications tagged with the caller's Caller ID, but mine did. Some of my voicemail notifications - in particular, if I have deleted some voicemails but retained others - are tagged with my own phone number. Others - for example, when someone in my address book leaves a voicemail - are tagged with the caller's phone number.

As already noted, this did *not* affect everyone. Only certain users experienced it, and it seemed to possibly (although not definitely) be related to what theme was in use. (Some users seemed to find that it was linked, for example, to certain Verizon-supplied themes, but that also wasn't conclusive.)

#3 should be fixed with .732.
    "Should be fixed" is different from "is fixed."
    Unless someone has specifically experienced the drop in volume on .591, and then seen that it has been restored to normal volume in .732, I'm not going to take "should be" to mean "is."
    06-15-10 11:24 PM
    I don't want to seem out of line here but #2 was totally possible as many people reported the same problem. With .732 the problem is fixed. When a person leaves a voicemail, a seperate thread is created for THAT CONTACT's VOICE MAILS. So if two people leave a voice mail, there are two threads that say voice mail. One from Contact A and one from Contact B.

And by the way, with all the people that have been begging for threaded SMS (me included), there's no way it's going away. That I will agree with.
    You're not out of line. I'm just telling you that the VM notifications are NOT tagged to specific users natively. They are tagged with your own number. It's always been like this for ALL CDMA BBs on VZW. I managed several users with 9630s and none of them had this issue under the last official 5.x build from VZW prior to this one. Chances are good that you either had a goofed up SMS database you should have cleared or a 3rd party app was somehow causing this unique bug. If you still have an issue with VM notification texts being tagged under anyone else's number but your own, you still have issues. The VM notifications should all be under one long thread with your own number for the callback.

06-15-10 11:32 PM
    You're not out of line. I'm just telling you that the VM notifications are NOT tagged to specific users natively. They are tagged with your own number. It's always been like this for ALL CDMA BBs on VZW. I managed several users with 9630s and none of them had this issue under the last official 5.x build from VZW prior to this one. Chances are good that you either had a goofed up SMS database you should have cleared or a 3rd party app was somehow causing this unique bug. If you still have an issue with VM notification texts being tagged under anyone else's number but your own, you still have issues. The VM notifications should all be under one long thread with your own number for the callback.

Again, I'm afraid you're mistaken. If none of the users that you managed experienced this, then clearly that's the extent of your experience with the issue (or lack thereof). But when I first experienced it, I wanted to make absolutely certain that there was no way that it could be something that I had done or installed myself. So before rolling back to 4.7, I completely wiped the device. Factory-clean. Then I did the 5.0.0.591 update through Desktop Manager and only installed the default BB software. No third-party applications, no address book, no calendar. I didn't restore *anything*. Then I sent three people test SMS messages, and had them leave me voicemails. Their VM notifications were, without a doubt, tagged with their Caller ID. And having their voicemails arrive in a certain order caused their VM notifications to be threaded into their SMS conversation, disabling any further sending of messages to those phone numbers.

The fact that you yourself didn't see it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I could state plenty of historical examples (gravity, roundness of the earth, microscopic living organisms, etc.), but I'm sure you get the point.
    Last edited by RTGMusicMan; 06-15-10 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Bold and Italics
    06-15-10 11:40 PM
    .......Going back to 4.7 as soon as I get home from work.

On the same boat, basically. My Tour with 4.7 is stable and I am pretty much at a static point with apps. Thus, the only "issue" I have is once in a blue moon I might get the 532 reload error when installing an app. But since I don't really add much any more, I am ok.

My BB is heavily used for business purposes so the benefits of .732 (or any 5x for that matter) are not worth the risks of upgrading.
    06-16-10 09:08 AM
    Does anyone know if .732 got rid of that annoying callback bar in the compose sms screen?
    07-22-10 03:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD