I got the Tour when it first came out in July of '09, and at the time it was the nicest, highest-end phone at Verizon. Now, I wish I could get the Bold, but I don't regret getting my Tour at all, it was the best device available for a while. It has everything I need that the Curve DID NOT have, plus it has a slot for a SIM card which is awesome now that I have it unlocked. Still waiting for Verizon to get a BB that's worth upgrading to, it would be silly to sign a new contract and pay all that money for the Bold when I have a Tour.
    04-04-11 12:09 PM
    I like it. No trackball issues. Just clean it with alcohol each couple of weeks. I would prefer a trackpad. Do not really like the BB web browser so I use Opera Mini which works well. I would like to have WiFi. But not a big deal.

I will say when I bought my Tour, the Droid had just hit VZ. They had the Droid and the Droid Eris (HTC). I tried them but simply could not type on the touch screens. I had also read a lot of reviews, and across all the Android phones, battery life was a common complaint. Larger screen = shorter battery life pretty much. I simply hate the idea of re-charging during the day, or carrying extra batteries. So I choose the Blackberry and I am glad. I really just wanted great email service and good battery life. I did not think the world phone aspect would be important. But then unexpectedly went on a trip to Bermuda and was able to send and receive texts from our ship using GSM. Good move.

I see the phone as an email/messaging/contacts/calendaring device more than a web browsing one. That is why I ordered a Playbook. I think have the great BB phone for email/messaging and then have a **portable**, awesome tablet for web access is really the smart way to go. That means the phone battery will hold up better for uninterrupted email and messaging.
    04-04-11 01:30 PM
    I absolutely love my Tour. I will have had it for two years in October. I still have the original one that I purchased, as does my wife as she bought one too. I have only had slight trackball issues, which I've fixed on my own with suggestions from other forums on here. I had reboot issues with one OS, so I just downgraded back to the OS I had before that one, nothing major. I personally wouldn't purchase one now as newer and better blackberries are out, but it has been a great phone for me. I will be using it until the bold touch or torch 2 comes out, haven't decided between those two yet.
    04-05-11 10:52 AM
    I like my Tour. It gets the job done. It was a nice upgrade from the 8830 I was running previously.
    I'd like Wi-Fi, trackpad and OS6...but that's not enough for me to run out and grab a Bold. I'm going to do an upgrade this summer and will wait to see how I like the new crop of Blackberry handhelds before I make a decision on which direction to take. I really like the Blackberry form factor and am comfortable with the OS, but there are so many compelling options out there now.
    04-05-11 11:47 AM
    I bought the Tour after using the original Storm for a year and I must say, it was the best phone I ever had...only started having trackball issues after a year so I started using nail polish remover and that would loosen it right up...I only recently stopped using it because I'm one of those people who want a new phone every year. I had a few friends wanting to buy it from me after I switched but I don;t want to part with it so I use it as my alarm clock now and I will always have it for backup.
    04-05-11 12:29 PM
    No regrets here. Yes, I wish it had wi-fi, but I have found it a reliable, solidly built phone. I'm going to hang onto it until the Bold Touch comes out.
    +1, couldn't have said it better myself. My ORIGINAL Tour has been a fantastic device. No complaints...
    04-05-11 12:36 PM
    Love my Tour. No problems with trackball or calls. Like the look & rubber like feel of the trim & rear casing.
    04-05-11 12:50 PM
    I could complain but you know what? At the end of the day it's still a great phone fulfilling all my needs. I would love to have wi-fi and trackpad but it's not like I'm running to my service provider itching to use my upgrade so I'll just wait out and see what RIM has coming down the pike this summer.
    04-06-11 01:37 PM
    I loved it at first compared to the Pearl - I have poor vision so the tiny screen with the Pearl was causing more strain. I guess my eyes are getting worse because now the Tour is causing me strain. I had to have the trackball replaced twice, and I seem to have software issues, because ever since I went off the corporate network, I've had nothing but problems despite a wipe. The web was always super slow for me and it did randomly reset sometimes which would take several minutes, but I'm finding that new apps are locking my phone up. If I toggle between apps, there's slight freezing for a few seconds.

This may just be my particular phone and I don't have insurance so I guess I'm stuck until August, but I'm really looking at my options. Maybe a Blackberry with a bigger screen is really all I need, but I haven't heard great things about the Storm. I'd like to stick with a BB since I *love* email and BBM on it, never an issue there, but perhaps a Droid or an iPhone....
    04-06-11 01:50 PM
    my feelings about it are bitter sweet.

At the time of release, it was a great phone. Problem was there werent too many other phones offered by verizon. They were only WinMo....and my phone at the time was a Q9m....i was sick of WinMo and the issues i was facing. I needed a phone desperately...I wanted to wait for the Droid, but couldnt. So i gave in and got the Tour.

Despite the track ball issues (im on my 4th phone so far)....the phone is great. Im a hardcore texter/emailer/bbm'er........so keyboard is great....email handling is great.

However thats as far as the capabilities go....and it quickly became old technology. I dont regret getting the phone, but im really sick of it and want out and away from Blackberry as fast as possible.
    04-08-11 09:50 AM
    i had the 8330 and that thing was nice for awhile but i got it right around the time OS 5.0 started blowing up so i wanted something different but i ended up getting the incredible the day it came out on my upgrade.
    after using the incredible for almost a year the touch screen was slowely starting to itch away at my nerves and so i decided to go back to the blackberry and see if i liked it so i picked up a used tour on craigslist real cheap im giving it a try although i would like to get a bold but just dont feel like spending the money at the time
    04-08-11 10:53 AM
    I've had mine for about 4 months now, bought from a "regular" seller on ebay (not a Power Seller of cell phones)...I got it and checked if it was refurbished...nope This handset is well used, to boot.

I'm very happy with it overall. Of course, the trackball needs cleaning from time to time and the bigger diameter ball in the 8330 was easier on the thumbs. A trackpad would be nice...WiFi would be ok...but I have unlimited data that's as fast as my DSL connection

Aside from apps crashing it (Pandora sometimes causes a 523 error when it's shut down) or apps sucking the battery after being shut down (Google Maps), I have no software issues.

Heck, I'm still on OS4.7 so it doesn't dump the Boost custom service books when it needs a battery "pull"

Now that they're down to ~$80 on ebay (half what I paid!) you can't go wrong if you want a better handset than a Curve but can't use/afford a Bold. Get a good example and I'd recommend the phone highly...even going on 2 years old...even as RIM gets ready to unveil their impressive new lineup. Great device. My second BB, fourth smartphone, and definitely not the last RIM product I'll buy.
    04-08-11 12:48 PM
    I've had my Tour for about a year. It's survived having a drink spilled on it, and still working great. Looking forward to getting the Playbook soon and having it work with that.

My local carrier is US Cellular (I'm in Wisconsin), and unfortunately their selection from Blackberry is very limited. They only offer the Bold and Curve right now (which is dumb, as my Tour has a better screen and camera than those). Hoping that in another year or so they will have better offerings. Until then I will stick with my Tour. I sometimes wished it had wifi, but it isn't a very big deal for me since I get great reception in most areas.
    04-09-11 07:17 AM
    I've had it since launch day and still believes its the best BB out there even today. Trackball is great and never had any issues. Honestly, with the lack of good phone in the sprint camp, I'm keeping this phone for the long haul until something good comes out. Who said the Tour was a low end? Its one of the few World cdma phone and it was projected as a high end model when it first came out and still holds up today against newer model which is amazing to say the least. The trackball and no wifi totally killed it but some had no issues with these. One thing is for certain, there nothing out there today that the Tour can't do besides not having wifi. I love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 12:28 PM
    Is it just me or does the verizon verison look better than the sprint verison

04-13-11 09:06 AM
    The Bold is what the Tour should have been but I think the Tour is a good phone. I just like being able to run OS 6 but I think you can get some hybrids with the OS 6 browser nowadays. Wi-Fi is nice for downloading big files too. But the signal is amazing too and I love the keyboard.
    04-13-11 01:08 PM
    I had a Tour for four months before I got my Bold 9650. I didn't have any problems. It was a solid device.
    04-14-11 11:37 PM
    I still have an original (summer 2009) Tour as my business phone, and have had no problems with it. Trackball works fine; a quick cleaning resolves any occasional glitches. Call quality and signal strength have been great. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, since it does what I need it to do (reliable phone, e-mail, and messaging).
    04-18-11 02:05 AM
    I had a LOT of problems with Tours, but Verizon was persistent on sending me a replacement for each messed up trackball. 10+ Tours later, this one is working fine. I've had this one since July 2010 and it's worked perfectly for me. I really do like this phone!

Most of the issues I had were with the trackball, first was a bad microphone, and 2 were broken when I got them.

I am eligible for an upgrade as of yesterday, but I'm waiting until I see something I like, with a battery that can get me through the day. (Looked at a Thunderbolt until a friend said it's connected to her computer most of the day! HA! No 4G here yet. No thanks!)
    Last edited by Mr.Monty; 04-20-11 at 12:52 AM.
    04-20-11 12:49 AM
    I didn't like it much as 9630 lacks Wi-Fi. Sometimes the Web browser falls short of the competition, and there's a bit of shutter lag on the camera. You can't save applications to a media card.
    04-20-11 01:12 AM
    I paid $80 on craigslist for mine...love it!! The girl I bought it from really took care of...I see not one scratch on this thing. And um..yeah the track ball has been cleaned a few times already.
    04-21-11 07:00 PM
    Just got it yesterday, had about 7 8 blackberry's in my day. This one is the heaviest by far. But I like it so far. The trackball would be my only grip about it. The trackpad is so much better.
    04-21-11 07:15 PM
    My 1st BB was a Tour and I loved it. Took good pics and vids. Never had a huge issue with trackball. Sold it and bought the Storm 2 and i loved that one oo but my dad needed a phone so gave him my storm 2 and bought a pre owned Tour and so far so good. No issues. I like that its a smaller type phone. I would have loved the Bold ** but my upgrade is in August o we will see what is available then.
    04-22-11 04:07 AM
    I have to admit I hated mine. I had trackball issues, the browser is absolutely terrible and I prefer a touch screen. Thus the reason why I switched to an android phone and I really like it.

04-23-11 07:15 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD