I cannot figure this out. I'm coming from a curve, and I could just make an exception in the profile and a contact's ringer could be whatever I wanted. Here, when I add a custom contact, it gives me the options to change the phone ringer and the message ringer. even if I don't change anything with regards to the messages, when that person texts me or emails me it plays whatever the message was set to.

Nowhere can I find the option to keep the active profile for the ringer. Additionally, if I change the messages ringer to match the text messaging ringer, it also plays that ringer for emails from that contact. Am I missing something really simple, or is this something that might need to be addressed down the road?

I ran a search, and found some similar questions, but nothing spot on so I started this thread. Sorry in advance if I missed something.
    07-29-09 03:46 PM
    I've been wondering this, too. Sorry I don't have answer for you. I'm coming from a Storm which didn't do this either. I set a custom ringer for one of my contact's and then couldn't figure out at first where this weird message alert was coming from. Then I discovered what you described. Can't say I really like it, so hope there's a fix or a setting I missed somewhere.
    07-29-09 03:53 PM
    Yeah, unfortunately when you add a custom ringtone for a contact you have to set the custom message tone as well. Would be nice if the custom message tone would default to whatever the active profile is using.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 04:11 PM
    This is stupid. Luckily I only have one person with a custom ringtone. I like the sound profiles on the curve better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 04:24 PM
    well, as long as I know I'm not going crazy.. I guess I'm off to look for an app that will work around this until RIM decides to adjust it with an eventual update.
    07-29-09 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD