I just got my replacement tour from verizon. The rep said it would be a new one since it's within 30 days and there probably weren't any refurbs yet anyways... buy it came in a brown box with nothing but the phone. Does that sound right to anyone? Did they just not package it or something or how can you know?
    08-05-09 04:05 PM
    That's odd. Like a brown cardboard box?

But whether it's new or refurbished... does it work?
    08-05-09 04:07 PM
    Yup, sounds refurb to me. Did you send your other one back with the charger?

I had a a replacement as well, but I made sure I made the VZN rep NOTE that I have a NEW one to replace my old one. *The one I received came to me by FEDEX in a brand new box with another battery/charger/ect.

You may want to call and speak to another rep (ask what was noted to your account re: the replacement) then let them know what you got and that you would like it replace with a NEW BB.
    08-05-09 04:12 PM
    No problems yet except for the screen ripple which is worse but i can live with that i think. This one is from mexico where as the one i got on the 12th was from canada. Odd. It didn't come with the battery or anything, not even the sd card. The csr said it should be new but she didn't know how to tell. She said it takes them at least 60 days to get refurbs though. So i'm not sure what to think.
    Last edited by uncannyzebra; 08-05-09 at 04:26 PM.
    08-05-09 04:21 PM
    At this point in time, seeing how long the Tour has been out, a FACTORY refurbished unit should be very similar, if not better in some aspects, than a brand new device.

I wouldn't worry if it is a refurb or a new Tour, as long as it works to your satisfaction!
    08-05-09 04:37 PM
    I find it hard to believe there would already be refurbs in stores at this point.
    08-05-09 04:45 PM
    I know with my Storm, when I took it into the store, CS had sent the new replacements to the store with just the phone. They assumed that I had kept all my accessories from the first unit and just shipped the phone. That way only the broken one has to go back. It is cheaper to send just the unit than a whole box.
    08-05-09 04:48 PM
    I wish the 2 other phones I turned in were refurbs...maybe they might work better.
    08-05-09 05:12 PM
    you only get the phone after you have one exchange. if it's within 30 days, it's new...you just don't get the accessories.
    08-05-09 05:30 PM
    I find it hard to believe there would already be refurbs in stores at this point.
    Not sure only because there are so many people returning Tours within the 30 days they must have already repaired some of those initial units by now.
    08-05-09 06:17 PM
    My refurb Storm came in a white box that literally said "Verizon Wireless - Refurbished Device".
    08-05-09 06:38 PM
    I will be exchanging mine within the next few days...my trackball has gotten worse over time...just the horizontal.

I will also request that they bring the new exhange unit out from the backroom before they open it.
    Last edited by Mavix; 08-05-09 at 07:09 PM.
    08-05-09 07:07 PM
    There are plenty of refurbs ready.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 07:09 PM
    Yep, brown box usally means rburb.. should sate that on paperwork....
    08-05-09 07:19 PM
    With the storm they started shipping brown box units. I belive they were determined to be new units without anything else similar to white box iphone replacements.

Personally I would bring it back and get a new in box unit. I could.not be happy with that unit.

08-05-09 07:52 PM
    if it didnt come in a tour box sealed, its a refurb
    08-05-09 07:58 PM
    It's common practice for VZW to send refurbs as replacements. However they are shipped directly from the refurb warehouse where VZW employs technicians who test the devices that are sent out to make sure they meet standards. Or so I was once told
    08-05-09 08:15 PM
    As many many people swapping out, those phones have become fru replacements.

08-05-09 08:40 PM
    It should work have any problems fixed.

08-05-09 08:42 PM
    Yeah. I've had 2 storm refurbs and 1 curve refurb before and they all came that way. It has to pass QA before heading back out to go to customers so I would imagine its a good Tour. If I was in your shoes though I would want a brand new device as well, but a refurb is honestly just as good.
    08-05-09 08:47 PM
    It says fru at the top of the paperwork... is that the same as a refurb necessarily? It seems to work fine though except the trackball horizontally isn't as quick as it is vertically. It sure looked the same as whenever i've gotten a replacement with asurion. Dang
    08-05-09 09:26 PM
    FRU = field replaceable unit or full retail upgrade
    Last edited by Aetius; 08-05-09 at 09:47 PM.
    08-05-09 09:45 PM
    FRU = Field Replacement Unit AKA CLNR = Certified Like-New Replacement.

Generally the first 60,000 or so devices off of the assembly line are used as FRUs and are actually new devices.
    08-05-09 11:21 PM
    One of the menus on the phone will tell you if it is a refurb or not. I wish i could remember which one it was. It will say Refurb with a Y or N next to it. It may have been one of the hidden menus.

Found it... Look under "Options, About" and scroll down a little
    Last edited by clexman; 08-06-09 at 02:19 AM.
    08-06-09 01:53 AM
    Did it come from Texas? I mean, did it ship from there?
    08-21-09 11:09 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD