I bought the VZW HTC Touch Pro in December (2 yr contract) and wanted to upgrade to Tour today, but an not eligible for an upgrade. Here is the sequence of what happened:

1) Called VZW CS last week - Lady said I'll give you Tour for NE1 price ($260 after rebate), but the call dropped as I drove through a dead spot.
    2) When I called back the new Rep said she couldn't give me that price and she could not connect me with the other rep. I decided to wait till July 12th to try again.
    3) I went into the store today talked to Rep and she said I'd either have to add a line or pay retail. I did the math and it is more expensive for me to pay for the extra line then pay retail in the long run.
    4) I then called VZW CS and she said the same thing as the in store rep. I even threatened to quit VZW and get the Tour on Sprint (I was bluffing). So I decided to go in the store and pay full retail.
    5) I talked to new in store Rep. He was the same guy who sold me the Touch Pro. I said I want the Tour at the cheapest possible price. He said I'll give it you at NE1 price if you buy the accessories package, which was $60 for a blue tooth, skin and car charger. No haggling that was his opening offer. Since I was prepared to pay Full Retail I was like SOLD. I was doing back flips inside!!!!

LESSON LEARNED: VZW Reps are not consistent. Keep trying till you find one that will hook you up.

I'm so psyched to have the TOUR!!!!
    07-12-09 12:06 PM
    congrats! welcome to the club!!
    07-12-09 12:09 PM
    Go return those accessories.
    07-12-09 12:18 PM
    LMAO!!!! At another store.....
    07-12-09 12:21 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me. Bought the phone at full retail, but on the receipt it says the phone was only 339$. They gave me that whole accessories package deal too which made my total 484$. he told me i could return those items(including the 70$ bluetooth) and the 3 10.00$ screen covers for full price with the receipt. AND I have a 70$ mail in rebate.

HOW is this possible when i'm not eligible for the upgrade because i just bought the storm two months ago?!

Not that im complaining or anything
    07-12-09 12:24 PM

Good idea! I think I'll do that.
    07-12-09 12:33 PM
    I've never paid more than $300 for any new blackberry within two weeks of launch--always someone selling it used just gotta look around
    07-12-09 12:35 PM
    I went planning to sign a contract to replace a Storm I had on m2m and also buy a Tour at full retail to replace my Storm still under contract for another year. They allowed me to upgrade bother at $199 after the $70 MIR but also made me buy 2 accessories packages.

Will they let me return these accessories?
    07-12-09 12:39 PM
    Good idea! I think I'll do that.
    If you return the accessories I believe they have all rights to charge you the full price for the phone you made an agreement when you bought it, the rep cut you a deal if you helped him with accessories. Now because you have your phone you're ready to go back on the deal you agreed on. At least sell them on ebay don't return them back at another store that's just wrong.
    07-12-09 12:45 PM
    Oh yeah, Be careful Im pretty sure that rep made notations on your account that says if the accessories are returned charge full price for phone. That's what I've known reps to do. The people that are telling you to return the phone aren't going to cough up cash if you're charged.
    07-12-09 12:48 PM
    If you return the accessories I believe they have all rights to charge you the full price for the phone you made an agreement when you bought it, the rep cut you a deal if you helped him with accessories. Now because you have your phone you're ready to go back on the deal you agreed on. At least sell them on ebay don't return them back at another store that's just wrong.
    Good point. Two of three accessories I got I can use. I don't need a 2nd blue tooth so maybe I'll sell it on ebay. I don't want to mess with the good karma I just got.
    07-12-09 12:54 PM
    If they planned to do that, why would the rep who sold me the phone tell me i could return them for full price?
    07-12-09 01:01 PM
    Oh yeah, Be careful Im pretty sure that rep made notations on your account that says if the accessories are returned charge full price for phone. That's what I've known reps to do. The people that are telling you to return the phone aren't going to cough up cash if you're charged.
    What a crock of crap.

They cannot charge you like that. If they did they would have lots of angry customers and threats to take them to court and such. You can return all the accessories. They don't monitor your returns and say "Hey boss, Mr. Smith just returned his Tour accessory pack" "Oh noez that ****!!! Make sure you add $400 to his phone bill next month!"

Just return the stuff that you don't need from the accessory pack. Return the bluetooth and buy one online, prob be cheaper anyway if you needed one.
    07-13-09 06:44 AM
    5) I talked to new in store Rep. He was the same guy who sold me the Touch Pro. I said I want the Tour at the cheapest possible price. He said I'll give it you at NE1 price if you buy the accessories package, which was $60 for a blue tooth, skin and car charger. No haggling that was his opening offer. Since I was prepared to pay Full Retail I was like SOLD. I was doing back flips inside!!!!

LESSON LEARNED: VZW Reps are not consistent. Keep trying till you find one that will hook you up.

I'm so psyched to have the TOUR!!!!
    Well, I did the same thing as you, well, kind of. I called CS and asked about getting a discount on the Tour and doing a preorder online or through them directly. They said I couldn't get a discount and would have to pay full retail, I tried calling back like 4x and got 4 different people, all giving the same answer. Then two of them said that I'll probably be able to go into a VZW store and haggle with a rep since they work on commission in selling new phones, plans, etc, so I did and got my new tour for $199.99 (pending a $70.00 MIR that I have to send in so I'll only pay $129.99! The only thing they did was extend my contract / renew it and it wasn't up originally until June of 2010!
    07-13-09 09:05 AM
    Same luck here! I haven't ordered or gotten one yet, waiting till Wednesday on Payday!

Anyways, I wasn't due until FEB 20-11! And they moved my upgrade date back to July 10 or something like that!

Outstanding!

And this was over the phone. I haven't even purchased a phone yet.
    07-13-09 09:16 AM
    So I should just try to negotiate with vzw rep at store. I got my curve in May 2009, and have to wait 8 more months.

Anyone else have any luck with trying this?
    07-13-09 09:17 AM
    So I should just try to negotiate with vzw rep at store. I got my curve in May 2009, and have to wait 8 more months.

Anyone else have any luck with trying this?
    Did you read my post? I did, you just have to get the right person and negotiate with them. You may have to go to a different store though if one doesn't want to do it.
    07-13-09 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD