Hey guys, got a quick question...

The other day I was driving down the road and needed to dial an 1-800-ABCD number, the only problem is I couldn't dial that number because we have the full key board and I didn't know which number represented that letter...

I realize I could get on my browser and type in delta.com or whatever the 1-800 number was and find it but my question is there an app or someway to see the letters represented by each number?

hope this makes sense, ha
    09-05-09 01:17 PM
    Press alt while keying in a letter and your berry will automatically slot in the corresponding tone when dialing. Make sense?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 01:20 PM
    First question I ever asked on here

That thread rocks!!!!
    09-05-09 01:22 PM
    so i just tried calling 1-800-delta, I typed 1800 then held alt d alt e alt l alt t alt a and hit send and it didn't work....
    09-05-09 01:23 PM
    First question I ever asked on here

That thread rocks!!!!
    this is the first question you ever posted on here? where is it, i couldnt find it thats why i started a new thread...
    09-05-09 01:24 PM
    Press alt while keying in a letter and your berry will automatically slot in the corresponding tone when dialing. Make sense?

That is the coolest thing ever. I never knew that. I always just tried to remember what a regular phone was and I would dail them that way.
    09-05-09 01:26 PM
    so i just tried calling 1-800-delta, I typed 1800 then held alt d alt e alt l alt t alt a and hit send and it didn't work....
    That b/c delta isnt a real phone number. DELTA is only 5 charcters a phone number is 7.. I just called 773 202 LUNA and I typed the word LUNA out I didnt use numbers and it worked just fine.
    09-05-09 01:29 PM
    this is the first question you ever posted on here? where is it, i couldnt find it thats why i started a new thread...
    No worries

I didn't create the thread. I ask about typing numbers and letters back in the day and I was told to check out that thread

Also your number is not a full one.
    09-05-09 01:29 PM
    Weird - it just worked for me when I called fedex. At the risk of stating the obvious, you said you dialed "1-800-DELTA" and hit send. You do realize that what you dialed is missing two numbers, right? Are you sure you dialed the entire number?

09-05-09 01:32 PM
    That b/c delta isnt a real phone number. DELTA is only 5 charcters a phone number is 7.. I just called 773 202 LUNA and I typed the word LUNA out I didnt use numbers and it worked just fine.
    Yeah I just tried LUNA like you said and it worked, thanks alot, that is the coolest thing I have learned about my berry in quite some time, it looks so weird calling 1773202LUNA as it appears on my screen!

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!! I guarantee this will help alot of folks out
    09-05-09 01:36 PM
    Weird - it just worked for me when I called fedex. At the risk of stating the obvious, you said you dialed "1-800-DELTA" and hit send. You do realize that what you dialed is missing two numbers, right? Are you sure you dialed the entire number?

Thanks CafeRacer-- This is great information and I appreciate your help, my dumb*** was trying to call 1-800-DELTA and not realizing I forgot 2 numbers, lol...opps, its saturday!!

Have a great weekend
    09-05-09 01:39 PM

Very cool, thanks for the tip!
    09-05-09 02:33 PM
    My original suggestion didn't work. I was sure I had done it before. I stand corrected.

Last edited by Shaylguul; 09-05-09 at 03:03 PM.
    09-05-09 02:54 PM
    You don't need to use the alt key just type it in like it reads and your BB will do the rest. 1-800-BES-TBUY works like a charm.

Enjoy!

Uhhhh, I'm not so sure about that. Just tried what you suggested on mine and trying to dial with the letter keys alone (no Alt) does absolutely nothing. Besides, if you tried to dial for the letter C, for example, the phone will dial 9 for you instead unless you're pressing the Alt key.
    09-05-09 02:59 PM
    Hope this isn't overstating the obvious, but you can hit alt+shift before typing the letters, rather than holding alt, or tapping it before each letter.

09-05-09 03:14 PM
    Hope this isn't overstating the obvious, but you can hit alt+shift before typing the letters, rather than holding alt, or tapping it before each letter.

yup, that works too! but like i said before, i don't think it's possible to dial letters without holding the alt key. shaylguul, if you figured out another way of doing this, please let us know. i'm always down to learn cool new shiite for my berry!
    09-05-09 03:18 PM
    Wish there was a way for it to work for texts too, but I can't seem to figure that out. There aren't many text numbers that use letters for identification, so it's not that big of a deal, but when I wanted to text "chacha" the other day to ask them a question, i had to figure out the numbers myself. Hitting alt brought the letters up, but there was no option to send an sms text.
    09-05-09 07:09 PM
    Yeah that's a good point re this not working with SMS. I guess if you want to text something like "chacha", you're best off creating a contact for it ahead of time.

09-05-09 07:22 PM
    .. I guess if you want to text something like "chacha", you're best off creating a contact for it ahead of time.

Thanks for the info in this thread. I've been wondering how to do this for a while now too.
    Last edited by webmastir; 10-01-09 at 10:56 AM.
    10-01-09 10:53 AM
    Make sure you have 7 numbers after the 1800 portion
    10-01-09 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD