I brought my month-old Tour into Verizon on Monday because my headphone jack stopped working.

They sent out a refurbished replacement which I got last night.

I activated it and everything seemed fine but I didn't use it much.

This morning I noticed that the trackball was sunken in, mushy, and generally less responsive than the trackball on my original Tour.

Would Verizon replace the bad replacement?

This sucks.
    11-26-09 06:39 PM
    Yes they should replace it... some have exchanged 7-8 times before getting a good one. Hope it doesnt happen to you.
    Good Luck
    11-26-09 07:31 PM
    Bring it in asap and they should issue a replacement no questions asked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 08:21 PM
    forums.crackberry.com/f141/got-replacement-tour-verizon-has-different-cheap-feeling-mushy-trackball-382356/

I was reading through this earlier which seems similar to your issue. I have also had problems with my tour and am on my 5th one now and the trackball finallyl seems to be working properly. Once in a while i think something might get stuck down in it and so it get stuck and doesn't scroll but usually moving it around really fast and pushing down and rolling fixes it. Kind of annoying but not to big a deal, wish i had the trackpad though.
    Last edited by kyky489; 12-11-09 at 04:59 PM.
    12-11-09 04:57 PM
    I just got my third one today, its absolute sh*t. The trackball doesn't even MOVE! I'm going to demand that Verizon lets me exchange it for a different phone; if they say no, it's bye-bye contract.
    12-11-09 05:23 PM
    The new trackballs aren't as hard as previous versions. I like how soft they are, it makes for a better trackball IMO. I received my new (refurb) Tour yesterday, the soft (mushy) trackball is way more responsive and its settings are 70 and 70 compared to 90 and 90 before. Overall my replacement Tour is much nicer.
    Last edited by cenloe; 12-11-09 at 05:51 PM.
    12-11-09 05:49 PM
    The new trackballs aren't as hard as previous versions. I like how soft they are, it makes for a better trackball IMO. I received my new (refurb) Tour yesterday, the soft (mushy) trackball is way more responsive and its settings are 70 and 70 compared to 90 and 90 before. Overall my replacement Tour is much nicer.
    Its actually a lot less responsive, you probably had a defective original one and that is why you feel thid way. The one I sent back had a defect but not in the trackball. The hard ball is much better and you don't have to set it to 90 if its not defective. The soft one takes a lot more swipes and rolls to move it the same distance as a non defective original trackball.
    12-11-09 06:10 PM
    For me, it took 3 phones

12-11-09 07:03 PM
    One of the replacements I received had the foam gasket coming out between the screen and the case. They sent another one without any hassle at all.
    12-11-09 07:12 PM
    One of the replacements I received had the foam gasket coming out between the screen and the case. They sent another one without any hassle at all.
    Wow, thats crazy. I just wish RIM would get it right the first time. Having to replace device after device is what will eventually drive me to another type of smartphone.
    12-11-09 09:02 PM
    I'm having my 3rd replacement phone (4th Tour) shipped out, Verizon told me if this one is defective, they'd let me exchange it for a different phone. Does anybody know by chance if they will let me exchange it for the Storm 2? Has anyone done it?
    12-12-09 01:49 AM
    Does anybody know by chance if they will let me exchange it for the Storm 2? Has anyone done it?
    I thought about this after all the problems i was having with the tour. Then told me they would exchange it for the storm 2 but it would cost more $$, i don't remember the exact amount. I think it was the difference in price between the tour and storm2. Anyway, i didn't wanna pay more for it so i stuck with tour. If it had been a free swap, i might have considered it.
    12-12-09 04:00 AM
    Thanks for your response!

12-12-09 03:50 PM
    I'm on my 4th replacement (Not 4th phone 4th replacement lol). The trackball was good but the mute button is all f'ed up and barely pushes down, barely feels like a button. I know it's not a big deal but I'm not gonna send my original phone back that was fine until the trackball went and be stuck with a replacement that has messed up buttons, all I want is a normal working phone that doesn't have some issue in it but they haven't come through yet.
    12-12-09 04:24 PM
    Dave, I looked at the little booklet that comes with the replacement phones, and noticed that they say "replacement phone guaranteed 'like new'". There's your answer.

12-12-09 05:14 PM
    Dave, I looked at the little booklet that comes with the replacement phones, and noticed that they say "replacement phone guaranteed 'like new'". There's your answer.

Like new doesn't mean defective though. Apple gives u refurbs for defective ipods too and I've never had an issue with them giving me a bad refurb, let alone 4. Not acceptable.
    12-12-09 07:29 PM
    I'm on the same page, I'm very unhappy about them.

12-12-09 08:21 PM
    I've got a replacement on the way and we will see if it has a better trackball. I had one of the first batch Tours from July and thought I got a good one until last week when the trackball failed. It will not go left/right at all now. I tried cleaning it to no avail. A replacement has to be better than no horizontal movement. It is a pain in the rear to replace through my corporate structure also - the Blackberry has to be shipped somewhere else by Verizon, then they ship it to my IT department, then they will bring it to me and set it up. It takes well over a week. I won't be happy if I have to go through this all over again with the replacement too. To be honest I miss the trackwheel on my 8703e right now.....at least I knew that would work.
    Last edited by djjmaddox; 12-13-09 at 07:45 AM.
    12-13-09 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD