I'm going to be getting either a Pearl Flip 8230 or a Tour 9630 sometime within the next few weeks, and I'm actually having trouble deciding which I prefer.

I keep my phone in my pocket (when I'm walking around, otherwise it sits on my desk), so I generally like smaller, lighter, thinner phones that aren't particularly noticeable in my pocket. The Flip is lighter, but the Tour is thinner. Any thoughts about which would be more comfortable in the front pants pocket?

I'm not really a power user. I get lots of business emails (but usually don't respond to them from my BB, or if I do, very short responses), I use BB Messenger a fair amount, and I occasionally use google maps or the Browser (to look up whether a flight is on time and other simple things like that). When DM for Mac comes out I will also start syncing it with my Calendar and maybe I will put music on it, but for now I don't do that.

I travel internationally roughly once per year or once every two years, so that's not a huge concern to me.

Stability and functionality of the device are important. And by functionality, I mean simply that it does what it is supposed to do, and does it well.

Any thoughts about which I would be happier with? I'm really feeling about 50/50. Thanks.
    07-24-09 05:40 PM
    Well i have the 8900 (closest BB to the tour) and 8220 and as much as i like my flip i would choose my 8900 over it any day of the week.
    07-24-09 05:42 PM
    I played with the Pearl at the VZW store and didn't really like it. But then again, I'm used to open face phones and prefer those. By the way, I love my Tour.
    07-24-09 05:43 PM
    umm....Tour! No Brainer!
    07-24-09 05:43 PM
    you came in here to get convinced as to why you should the Tour. So why not just get it?
    07-24-09 05:52 PM
    tour.... definitely
    07-24-09 06:04 PM
    Do tha math! Come on now!!! lmao
    07-24-09 06:06 PM
    I can say with certainty the Tour is an awesome phone and among the best out there.

It comes down to what is most important to you. If its the convenience of the flip, then go that route.

Personally...

I can't imagine not choosing the Tour with all its high-end performance features. But my priorities are different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 06:10 PM
    But the Tour is also wider
    07-24-09 06:10 PM
    Lol at the OP even asking this question...no brainer

07-24-09 06:16 PM
    wait, you come into the Tour section asking which you should pick? Gee, what do you think people will tell you?
    07-24-09 06:17 PM
    I have to agree with the others. The Tour is faster in every way, including web browsing. Tour FTW!

07-24-09 06:20 PM
    Hey Guys!, I'm going out tonight and i'm wearing a black tux, should i wear black shoes or brown?

Should i wear tube socks or dress socks?

Can i wear my old Tigers hat?

Should i tip the Bartender?

What do these questions have in common?
    07-24-09 06:23 PM
    I've had both. The flip went back for the tour on the 30 day worry free deal.
    If the processor in the flip was the same as the Tour, and some basic features were current, I would still have it, but it isn't.
    The flip has the same processor as the old pearls and curves..
    The camera is night and day also, flip = 2mp, Tour = 3.2, makes a huge difference.
    Media player on the flip doesn't auto rotate to landscape, which makes you tube the size of a postage stamp.
    A shame really, with the time they spent developing the flip, if they would have used the same basic features as the Storm, imo, the flip would smoke all of the candybars.
    07-24-09 06:29 PM
    Go with the flip. Much more pocket friendly and more built for the non power user. The tour is nice on the performance but by the sound of it you don't need performance, just BB reliability and comfort. My fiance has the 8220 and I have the 8900 and we both enjoy our phones, she likes the flip aspect and I like my keyboard because I do use it alot. If I wasn't so reliant on the full keyboard I would use the 8220 too
    07-24-09 06:30 PM
    If you only do light emailing and BBM, the pearl flip may work better for you and as HotCelica said, its more "pocket-friendly".
    07-24-09 06:41 PM
    My friend had the pearl flip and I didn't really like it. The tour is so much better both functionally and aesthetically...

07-24-09 06:54 PM
    I have both a Tour and a Pearl (open face) and in my opinion the Tour blows away the Pearl. Yes it is bigger but not as big as one would think. Also, things like the full qwerty keyboard (no more SureType), larger screen, and more app memory are pluses in my book.
    07-24-09 07:02 PM
    Hey Guys!, I'm going out tonight and i'm wearing a black tux, should i wear black shoes or brown?

Should i wear tube socks or dress socks?

Can i wear my old Tigers hat?

Should i tip the Bartender?

What do these questions have in common?
    ROTFLMAO... Yeah, what he said!

Seriously though, while you may not appreciate all of the functions of the (far superior, IMHO) Tour, the Pearl Flip is going to be technologically "out-dated" a lot sooner than the Tour - and once you GET the added functionality of the Tour, you may find that you like it!

Incidentally, this is coming from someone who just left the Pearl 8330 to go to the Tour 9630.

It's a no-brainer.
    07-24-09 07:14 PM
    Haha, thanks for all the replies (particularly the serious ones). And yeah, as someone pointed out, I guess I am just trying to get someone to convince me to get a Tour.

Tour it is... (plus I always have that 30 day return policy... haha).
    07-24-09 07:19 PM
    Go with the flip. Much more pocket friendly and more built for the non power user. The tour is nice on the performance but by the sound of it you don't need performance, just BB reliability and comfort. My fiance has the 8220 and I have the 8900 and we both enjoy our phones, she likes the flip aspect and I like my keyboard because I do use it alot. If I wasn't so reliant on the full keyboard I would use the 8220 too
    I smell a troll...

tour.tour.tour
    07-24-09 07:34 PM
    I smell a troll...

tour.tour.tour
    I hope you're joking.... Just because he didn't make an argument for the Tour doesn't make him a troll.
    07-24-09 07:37 PM
    I smell a troll...

tour.tour.tour

Yeah, I think someone fell asleep at the velvet rope out there... How's HE get in here?
    07-24-09 07:44 PM
    The honest answer? If a flip phone is more compatible with your lifestyle, go for the Flip. If a traditional PDA style Berry better suits you, go for the Tour.

As far as performance, the Flip is great. It holds memory VERY well, and can handle at least moderate multitasking. OS 4.6.1 is very nice, and the overall Flip experience is very smooth.

The Tour? Yes, it performs even better. But you're comparing a high-end berry with a low-end berry. For what it is, the Flip is awesome. If it had the Tour's processor, it'd have a 2 hour battery life. It's a tradeoff. But from a moderate berry user (and ex-Storm user) the Flip is awesome AND pocketable with everything nicely protected.

EDIT: and for the record, I am NOT a troll just because I recommend the Flip. I own one, like it, and for the OP, it seems like the better choice. If he were planning on wearing it on his belt, i'd have recommended the Tour.
    07-24-09 07:44 PM
    Don't buy the low-end blackberries. In the end you're paying about the same, but get a lot less with the models like Pearl Flip, 8900. There just not worth it at all.
    07-24-09 07:46 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD