Im hoping that this program will solve problem but i wanted to ask you guys first.

I have a computer that is online through a router, the computer is on 24/7 and runs security cameras. The program allows you to log in from another computer to check the camers, but the computer has to be plugged directly into the modem and not through a router for that to work. From my blackberry i havent been able to log in at all (maybe the browser) so im looking at other ways to access the computer from my B.berry.

I know this program says you can see what is on your screen of the computer you are looking at, on my screen is just 4 boxes showing each camera, so if i was able to see the screen (which has my cameras on it) that should solve my problem.

Im sorry if this is confusing but i hope you guys can see what im saying.

You guys think that would work with my computer hooked to the internet through a router?
    Last edited by SprintTour155; 07-31-09 at 12:37 PM.
    07-31-09 12:32 PM
    If you forward the port (3389) for RDP through to the computer I don't see any reason for this to not work.

I'm assuming you're running Win 2K Server or higher on this computer?

RDM+ only works with servers running Terminal Services.
    07-31-09 01:11 PM
    I was actually told i need to port forward on the router to make it work in the first place, but there is not option for that in the router settings so i was never able to find out how to do it.

Maybe im biting off more then i can chew because i dont have termainal services, or a server, its just a Vista 32bit comp only used for the cameras. Im just trying to find a way to access them through the phone.
    07-31-09 01:17 PM
    The problem your having is a port issue the port your security camera program uses is being blocked by the router for port forwarding. Lets say the program for the cameras uses port 8080 and you computers ip is 192.168.0.12 you need to port forward you router to allow port 8080 to point to 192.168.0.12
    07-31-09 01:33 PM
    The problem your having is a port issue the port your security camera program uses is being blocked by the router for port forwarding. Lets say the program for the cameras uses port 8080 and you computers ip is 192.168.0.12 you need to port forward you router to allow port 8080 to point to 192.168.0.12
    I don't think so.

All that is required is rdp port 3389 forwarded to the PC. The security camera application hasn't even come into play yet.
    07-31-09 01:59 PM
    Thanks for the responses,

I have found out how to get in there and make the port forwarding, but i need to know which port to use.

I have 3 Socket Ports and an Http Server Port, im guessing i use the server port correct?
    07-31-09 02:00 PM
    Again, RDM+ only works for servers running terminal services aka Remote Desktop.

*edit* it can also connect to remote desktop running on Vista. My bad
    Last edited by jhendrickson; 07-31-09 at 02:05 PM.
    07-31-09 02:02 PM
    tcp port 3389
    07-31-09 02:02 PM
    Sorry have to disagree with you also. If he gets RDP running it doesn't give a crap what port the security camera program uses.
    07-31-09 02:03 PM
    07-31-09 02:04 PM
    I have had RDM+ since the last sale on it and love it. I did not need to do any port forwarding
    XP Pro 32 bit.
    Grab it, it has a trial.
    If it works without doing anything extra, aside from setting the account and permissions up in the program on your computer, get it.

I only access my computer to make changes and grab files I need when I'm away from home. And being able to shut down and restart on the fly (not able to turn on from completly shut down) is incredible. Big storm moving in and don't want my current project getting destroyed and corrupting my HD, I simply pause it and shut the comp down through RDM+.
    07-31-09 02:18 PM
    Its my fault, im getting a little off topic going from the program to port forwarding.

Looks like i cant use this program anyway because i have vista home edition which remote desktop doesnt support (thats what that article said).

Any others out there that are more friendly to us non terminal service people?

I thought it was as simple as installing a program on the home comp and then on the handset, thats it.
    07-31-09 02:34 PM
    I hope you like it. I tried it out the other day and was quite disappointed with the program. I use it for monitoring radio equipment and need it to provide me information in real-time. The program lagged so much it was unacceptable for my needs. The screen only updated about once every 10 seconds. It isn't because the blackberry is too slow, I tried the web browser application and it was worse.
    07-31-09 06:03 PM
    I know the deal is over, but some info about RDM+...

Like similar VNC services, RDM+ is *less* about live streaming of audio and video, and more about control of and access to the remote computer. Screen refreshes are going to be a little slower, sometimes the lag will be several seconds or longer. That's the trade off for getting essentially full access to the computer and seeing the full screen. This is just how programs like this work. They are great for getting stuff done from home, for example, on a work computer that's running specialized software. Remote Desktop shouldn't matter one bit, RDM+ (I believe) achieves everything it needs from the desktop program that you install on the PC.

Now as for what the OP wants, give the program Orb a try. If your security cameras show up in windows as webcams, Orb should see them and be able to stream to you the live video -- although only one at a time (not the quad box with all four). Still, that will give you the live monitoring you are looking for. I cam stream my webcam to the phone through Orb (along with all my media on the home PC) with no problems.

As a sidenote, although I haven't used it myself, gotomypc is supposedly one of the best and quickest remote desktop viewing programs out there... but it isn't free, and it's not cheap.

OP, PM me if you need any help setting up Orb.
    Last edited by tnt118; 08-01-09 at 07:27 AM.
    08-01-09 07:20 AM
    I know the deal is over, but some info about RDM+...

Like similar VNC services, RDM+ is *less* about live streaming of audio and video, and more about control of and access to the remote computer. Screen refreshes are going to be a little slower, sometimes the lag will be several seconds or longer. That's the trade off for getting essentially full access to the computer and seeing the full screen. This is just how programs like this work. They are great for getting stuff done from home, for example, on a work computer that's running specialized software. Remote Desktop shouldn't matter one bit, RDM+ (I believe) achieves everything it needs from the desktop program that you install on the PC.

Now as for what the OP wants, give the program Orb a try. If your security cameras show up in windows as webcams, Orb should see them and be able to stream to you the live video -- although only one at a time (not the quad box with all four). Still, that will give you the live monitoring you are looking for. I cam stream my webcam to the phone through Orb (along with all my media on the home PC) with no problems.

As a sidenote, although I haven't used it myself, gotomypc is supposedly one of the best and quickest remote desktop viewing programs out there... but it isn't free, and it's not cheap.

OP, PM me if you need any help setting up Orb.

Thanks for your help guys and thanks for the info on ORB. I went to their website to read about it and i cant find a way for it to work i dont think with my cameras, i would basically need a program that would show my desktop and everything on it live for that to work.

I ended up installing and buying the RDM and it works good for me, its not live and updates every 11 seconds from my count but i really didnt think that there was anything out there that would actually show my cameras live. When im hooked to them on a broadband connection from a computer its barely live so i didnt think a phone could do it.

As long as i can get a quick peak and whats going on im good but are there really any apps out there that can run a live desktop?
    08-01-09 09:20 AM
    What is the model number/brand name of the cameras? And what software are you using to display it on the desktop?
    08-01-09 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD