have had my brand new Tour now for going on 48 hours, this is my first BB and so far it has not gone well. The phone works, I can make and receive calls, I can send and receive text. I can not doing anything that requires data. I cannot send or receive pictures or videos, I cannot access my browser, and BB messenger will not work. I am sure there are other things that won't work, but as this is my first BB I haven't discovered them yet.

I have called Verizon tech support twice now, once on Friday, I was told I would be called back in 24 hours and then 24 hours later when I wasn't called back by an engineer, I was told I would be called back in 24 hours again. Both phones calls the rep was nice enough, and tried working through my problem, but it didn't work. I am a little unsure of the kind of help they can provide though. I asked the rep if there was a way to do a CAPS lock, he told me no. I also asked if there was a way to "caps lock" the numbers, he also said no. I found out there is by the way.

So my question is, anybody have any idea what's going on? I am in the coverage area, my Voyager's browser would work from here. My BB is showing 1x, 1X, and 1xev. for signal and i have 3 bars.

I bought the phone at Best Buy if that helps.

Thanks for all the help.
    08-02-09 07:39 PM
    Is there actually a BlackBerry data plan on your account?
    08-02-09 07:40 PM
    Dial *228 and select option 1. That will reassociate your phone with VZW's network. Then go into your Menu>Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table; press your BlackBerry Key (the one to the left of the trackball with all the dots) and select "Register Now" from the menu. That reassociates your phone with the BB server and their IP addresses. If those don't work. Try tech support again and hope you get an agent that actually knows what they're talking about. Lol.
    08-02-09 07:44 PM
    If it says "1x" or "1xev" your data will not work. It must say "1X" or "1XEV". Try a battery pull, if that doesn't work, I would take it back to the store and exchange it.
    08-02-09 07:44 PM
    There has to be a plan for VZW.

Try this.

Dial ##000000 send. This will take you to a programing screen. scroll down to where you see your user name

phone number@vzw3g.com[/email] make sure the info is correct. Then below this you will see a password. Enter vzw (lower case). Then press menu and save. The device will reset and lets see if this helps.
    08-02-09 07:45 PM
    I can't possibly fathom that the vzw tech on the phone didn't know the difference between 1xev, 1x, 1X, and 1XEV ... that's just ... scary.

I would have asked to speak with someone who knows what a BlackBerry is, heh!
    08-02-09 07:49 PM
    Thank you for all of the advise. Calling tech support twice I have done the ##000000 4 times. I did the *228 and the register thing several times, I only got a message received once. I was told by the techs that it isn't the phone but the data in my area. I find this hard to believe, I might take it back and try another one.

The tech did ask about the 1x, 1X, and 1xev. One of them had me set up the email and it worked for a little while, but did not send any of my emails today.
    Last edited by AYMiller; 08-02-09 at 07:54 PM.
    08-02-09 07:52 PM
    Ok, I am well aware that you HAVE to have a plan on Verizon.

I asked if anyone PUT IT ON HER ACCOUNT. A friend of mine had a rep at Telus put a winmo Data plan on her account instead of BB, and it wasn't working.
    08-02-09 07:53 PM
    Ok, I am well aware that you HAVE to have a plan on Verizon.

I asked if anyone PUT IT ON HER ACCOUNT. A friend of mine had a rep at Telus put a winmo Data plan on her account instead of BB, and it wasn't working.
    VZW systems auto place a BB data on.
    08-02-09 07:56 PM
    Thank you for all of the advise. Calling tech support twice I have done the ##000000 4 times. I did the *228 and the register thing several times, I only got a message received once. I was told by the techs that it isn't the phone but the data in my area. I find this hard to believe, I might take it back and try another one.

The tech did ask about the 1x, 1X, and 1xev. One of them had me set up the email and it worked for a little while, but did not send any of my emails today.
    Wonderful. Then there is ony tone thing left that I can it might be. This unfortunatly will require one more call to VZW. Have them double check the RIM relay tool Regular CS cannot do this and tech needs to get hold of internal analist to check it. If this checks out, I would one more thing but we have been banned from doing it. At that point I would look into a device swap
    08-02-09 08:00 PM
    Wow, that's some pretty fancy stuff ya'll have down there in the Great US of A!
    08-02-09 08:00 PM
    I had the same issue when I got my first BB, the Storm 9530. At first I wasn't able to access anything that used data such as the internet browser, logging on to AIM or Windows Live, or using BBM. What I did was called the *228 then did both options 1 and 2 (separately of course). After a while it started working. Before, when I did battery pulls it would help solve the problem.

Try turning on and off your data connection from the manage connections thing.

I experienced the same thing when I switched to the Tour 9630 but now all is well with me hahaha.

If anything, or if worse comes to worse, go to your Verizon store to sort things out there, they're pretty good at doing that.
    08-02-09 08:02 PM
    Wow, that's some pretty fancy stuff ya'll have down there in the Great US of A!
    Thanks wish I could say the same for some of the caca that goes on here
    08-02-09 08:03 PM
    I had the EXACT same problem with Sprint mind you....I took the phone to two different places (sprint tech repair) ..the last one..did a master reset..saved all my info and just re installed everything...before that he tried the :

menu->options->mobile network->menu->update profile like ten times and no luck...he even took out the battery two times while the phone was on...
    08-04-09 05:26 PM
    OP: Did this issue ever get resolved?
    08-04-09 05:30 PM
    Sorry I have not responded sooner, I have been playing with my new NEW Tour. After 3 calls to tech support (they worry me) and a trip to the Verizon store. At each stop being told what little tricks to do and them not working. I was told by Verizon to take the phone back to Best Buy because I bought it there.
    I went to Best Buy and told them what the problems was. The Best buy guy said it wasn't the phone but the network. He gave me a new phone anyways and it worked. He also told me that EVER Tour he sold from Best Buy had come back due to the data not working, he placed the phone and no more problems. So far smooth sailing.

Thanks for all the support and ideas.
    08-05-09 04:43 PM
    ya my friend actually had same exact problem last night on curve. is gna call in to verizon customer service and ask if there is a fix.
    08-05-09 05:17 PM
    To all if your Browser is not showing up your phane has not been provisioned, once provisioned it will show and you can use data. If your VZW tech doesn't know how to do this have them patch you directly through to RIM BB support and they can do it for you had this happen to me when I first got my first BB.
    08-05-09 06:00 PM
    Any time this happens, Do this.

Call Verizon. Ask them to load a dummy ESN on the line. Then Swap back in yours. (While you phone is off.)

Most likely your phone had a provisioning problem. This is usualy caused if your current phone is on and connected while your new phone is being programed.

(YES, there IS a reason behind why the techs tell you to power off the device.)

Anyways. Wham Bam thank your Rep, and your all fixed.

It happens to my users about every 4 months or so.
    08-05-09 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD