So I upgraded to the 161 and now I am having a problem with my custom alert tones. It will not play my custom text message tone. I have tried the battery pull and tried switching the tone. Nothing seems to be working. Now the tones had been working on 161 up until yesterday. I upgraded to 161 sometime last week. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Ok I found the problem. Some how I accidentally created a custom profile for one of my friends. And my alert tone would change to that when she messaged me. But the weird thing is that once she messaged me all my sms alerts from anyone would change to that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Armageddon513; 11-26-09 at 10:33 AM.
    11-26-09 10:24 AM
    Me too! I am minutes away from rolling back to the old OS if I can't get a solution. Please help!!!!!
    11-26-09 10:35 AM
    I'm having similar issues, also when I updated to .61 My issue is that if I assign custom ringers and message tones to anyone, if that person sends me a text, I won't hear it when it's in the holster. I spent a couple hours on the phone with Verizon last Friday. They sent out a replacement phone which arrived Tuesday. Replacement phone already had the updated software, and was doing the exact same thing. At this point I've spent an hour on the phone with Blackberry (not Verizon), who have verified my issue. They've asked that I give them a day or 2. They want to load Verizon's OS on a few of their devices and test it out.

This is what made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....they'd said if it WAS software (which it most likely is) they'd give me BETA software to install. They didn't say which version (I'm thinking some unknown version of OS 5), and I didn't ask. But it's still pretty sweet. Personally I am happy so far about the way this is being handled. I'll make a thread with an update once I have some news, for anyone who's also experiencing this issue.
    11-26-09 10:51 AM
    My Tour has about the same issue after the 1.61 update... I had custom ringtones and sms set for most of my contacts, and a non-default tone for everyone else. It will work as normal while out of the holster, but only vibrate inside... This was fixed after i wiped handheld, but started right back up when i reset my tone settings to my contacts. Any advise/insight would rock
    11-27-09 05:19 PM
    Similar problem here after I updated to .61.

The update cleared all of the custom ringtones I had set for about a dozen people---no big deal, I just set them up again. However, the phone uses the default ringer for every call.

I also noticed that when I go to edit my contacts, the custom ringtones aren't automatically listed on their contact page. The only time I can see the custom ringtone is if I try to edit a contact, scroll down to ringtone, scroll down to Phone, and press the trackball.

From all of the posts about this, it seems that .61 broke something in the Custom Profiles set-up. So far, that's the only glitch that I've found (except that I did the update OTA and when I plug into DM, I get a message that the .61 update is available).
    11-27-09 08:33 PM
    It wasn't recognizing my ringtones either.

Read in another thread that you can fix it by deleting your individual Contact Alerts. I only had a few that were set, so I tried it & it worked !! Now, I just have to set my Contact Alerts again.

Yeah !!
    Last edited by tnpen; 11-29-09 at 03:58 AM. Reason: found a solution
    11-29-09 03:37 AM
    Check this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/de...update-374369/.

I found that deleting the contacts and then reassigning custom ring-tones wasn't a permanent fix for me. Once I re-started my phone (I turned it off when I went to bed and then back on when I woke up) all of the custom ring-tones were messed up again. However, I did find what appears to be a permanent fix/work-around and I posted it on the above thread (it's post # 11).

If anyone tries it, please let me know if it works for you.
    11-29-09 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD