After defending the Storm for the past couple of weeks, I also am fed up with some of the issues. Mainly the typing and lack of consistency. I have about 5 days until my first 30 days are up with the Storm (new Verizon customer) and am wondering if I would be better to hold on to the storm or switch to the curve? I know it is my call, but am wondering what others may have done in this case.
    Or...are there any other options for me?
    04-17-09 12:38 PM
    I took my Storm back and am using a Curve until the Niagara comes out. I may look at the Storm 2 in late fall or whenever it comes out.
    04-17-09 12:41 PM
    I was in the same situation. I used my upgrade to buy a storm, and took it back after a few days. Did not like it at all. I went and bought a curve off of ebay and have been very happy with it. just waiting for the 9630.
    04-17-09 12:52 PM
    Thanks. It would be easy if I new the release date. If it was sooner than later I could deal with the Storm, but if it does run later, I cannot handle the typing. I went to .122 and the typing did get better, but now the lag is back and worse then ever. Memory is good and I have tried pulling the battery.

I have to travel an hour to make the change, but will probably go that route.

Are there any hassles with a less then 30 day exchange?
    04-17-09 01:36 PM
    Nah no hassles for me.. I had my storm for a week lol.. I couldn't handle it.. the phone slowed me down.. Exchanged it for a curve..
    04-17-09 02:09 PM
    I'd say go for a Curve. Ebay one or use your upgrade. Ebay might be the better bet for you to save your upgrade. $200 vs $600 for a new phone is much better. :P

I love my Curve - tried the Storm but couldn't get used to it enough. Had to stick to my Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 02:17 PM
    If you plan on taking it back just be advised that if you exchange it for another model you will have to pay a $35 restocking fee and you will not be eligible for a discount on a new phone for 20 months meaning if you plan on getting the Niagara you will have to pay full retail price for it unless you waited till your upgrade.

What you could do, as others have suggested, is purchase a phone from ebay or a friend and activate it on your account until you are ready to upgrade. This way you will not have to pay the $35 restocking fee and you will be able to upgrade to a newer phone whenever you so choose at the discounted new customer agreement pricing.
    04-17-09 02:57 PM
    Curve from eBay or other place, besides VZW.
    04-17-09 02:58 PM
    I had the Storm for 4 days..got the Curve and love it!
    04-17-09 03:05 PM
    Yep....had 4 storms and got my Curve on Craigslist for $150 new. Make sure to check the EIN with Verizon before buying it to make sure it isnt lost or stolen.
    04-17-09 03:05 PM
    If you plan on taking it back just be advised that if you exchange it for another model you will have to pay a $35 restocking fee and you will not be eligible for a discount on a new phone for 20 months meaning if you plan on getting the Niagara you will have to pay full retail price for it unless you waited till your upgrade.

What you could do, as others have suggested, is purchase a phone from ebay or a friend and activate it on your account until you are ready to upgrade. This way you will not have to pay the $35 restocking fee and you will be able to upgrade to a newer phone whenever you so choose at the discounted new customer agreement pricing.
    So the discount new customer agreement pricing goes on forever? Meaning... I still have a new account with them so I get unlimited time to get a phone under the discount?
    04-17-09 03:14 PM
    I'd say go for a Curve. Ebay one or use your upgrade. Ebay might be the better bet for you to save your upgrade. $200 vs $600 for a new phone is much better. :P

I love my Curve - tried the Storm but couldn't get used to it enough. Had to stick to my Curve.

As I asked in another post....I can hold off on my new phone discount for unlimited time? I just signed up last month when I got my Storm.
    Also, How do I verify the EIN with verizon? I know I am getting a curve now until the Niagara comes out. Not nearly as nice of screen, but the typing is worlds better.

Thanks again everyone...
    Last edited by mjs31; 04-17-09 at 03:18 PM.
    04-17-09 03:16 PM
    Heading to the Verizon store shortly. Not much on Craigs list and I only have a few days. Plus, my wifes phone was free with the BOGO using my storm so I think they may charge me for hers unless I actually purchased a phone with them. Either way...curve here I come until the Niagara (at full retail)
    04-17-09 04:51 PM
    Yea just get the curve. I have a storm and its driving me crazy but I waited too long to take it back. I am about to sell my storm on craiglist and go back to my old curve until the Niagara comes out. Even though I will have to pay retail price, selling the storm should help with that. The curve is a solid phone that wont drive you crazy while you wait on the Niagara
    04-17-09 05:03 PM
    Yea just get the curve. I have a storm and its driving me crazy but I waited too long to take it back. I am about to sell my storm on craiglist and go back to my old curve until the Niagara comes out. Even though I will have to pay retail price, selling the storm should help with that. The curve is a solid phone that wont drive you crazy while you wait on the Niagara
    Got my curve and am very happy I did. Turns out there is also another $70 rebate with it so all is well. Will still pay retail when Niagara comes out, but that is ok.
    04-17-09 09:05 PM
    As I asked in another post....I can hold off on my new phone discount for unlimited time? I just signed up last month when I got my Storm.
    Also, How do I verify the EIN with verizon? I know I am getting a curve now until the Niagara comes out. Not nearly as nice of screen, but the typing is worlds better.

Thanks again everyone...
    I don't know for sure about the first part. You may be able to switch to a monthly plan with a used Curve and then once the Niagara hits, get a 2 year contract for the Niagara and cancel the month by month. Don't know how it all works, as I'm with Telus up in Canada. :P

Call me dumb, but don't you have to check the ESN, not the EIN? Ask the seller what the ESN is and call into Verizon to make sure it's clean. And (hopefully you know this), make sure it's a Verizon 8330; not a Sprint/etc 8330 or something.

I love my Curve right now. Bought it two weeks ago, fully aware that the Niagara was coming out and I'd have to pay full price (most likely at least). I just needed to get into a BlackBerry and the Curve is still a very stable phone. Damn workhorse lol.
    04-18-09 12:49 AM
    gotta Curve til the big day...my neighbor has a Storm and its funny to watch his frustration when he has issues. (I never knew you could hurl a berry that far...lol)
    04-18-09 05:23 AM
    I don't know for sure about the first part. You may be able to switch to a monthly plan with a used Curve and then once the Niagara hits, get a 2 year contract for the Niagara and cancel the month by month. Don't know how it all works, as I'm with Telus up in Canada. :P

Call me dumb, but don't you have to check the ESN, not the EIN? Ask the seller what the ESN is and call into Verizon to make sure it's clean. And (hopefully you know this), make sure it's a Verizon 8330; not a Sprint/etc 8330 or something.

I love my Curve right now. Bought it two weeks ago, fully aware that the Niagara was coming out and I'd have to pay full price (most likely at least). I just needed to get into a BlackBerry and the Curve is still a very stable phone. Damn workhorse lol.
    Yep it is esn. Someone had said ein and I followed suite.

04-18-09 08:32 AM
    I would buy an old curve off ebay or something to use until you can get a niagara. If you like the niagara with the physical qwerty and build features, you may prefer the curve to the touchscreen storm
    04-18-09 08:50 PM
    I would buy an old curve off ebay or something to use until you can get a niagara. If you like the niagara with the physical qwerty and build features, you may prefer the curve to the touchscreen storm
    I ended up just swapping out for the Curve. Since I used BOGO to get my wifes phone free, I would have to get something anyway or end up paying for my wifes phone. Swap did not cost any difference even with the $35 dollar charge, plus I get another $70 mail in rebate. Full price for the Niagara will have to do...

Very glad I went back to the physical keyboard though...
    04-18-09 08:56 PM
    Hi Friends, I unlocked the Storm, and use it on AT&T with OS 4.7.0.121 on it, and it seems to work very well. I think the Curve is a better phone right out of the box, but I kind of liked the challenge to get AT&T to work well on a verizon phone. Actually the 9530 Storm works on both CDMA and GSM , so one could say it really is a world phone. I found the Opera mini browser ,works best on the phone, since it is very tricky to get the browser to work. With out the help of my fellow CrackBerry friends , who guided me thru using Crack Util to delete the correct browser file, and then load the AT&T service books, thru the DM, and then re-install that browser file, the browser would never work. Thanks again friends.
    04-18-09 09:06 PM
    Good call going with the Curve. I love the idea of the Storm and didn't mind the click screen one bit, hope everything works out with it eventually.
    As soon as my NE2 is up in June I'll be I'll be waiting for the 9630. Hoping the Storm is stable by then, wouldn't mind picking one up as an alternate. Plus this Curve isn't going anywhere. I'll probably keep this around as a back up for as long as it lasts. Maybe treat it to a colorware case change once it hits semi retirement.

04-19-09 01:44 AM
    Good call going with the Curve. I love the idea of the Storm and didn't mind the click screen one bit, hope everything works out with it eventually.
    As soon as my NE2 is up in June I'll be I'll be waiting for the 9630. Hoping the Storm is stable by then, wouldn't mind picking one up as an alternate. Plus this Curve isn't going anywhere. I'll probably keep this around as a back up for as long as it lasts. Maybe treat it to a colorware case change once it hits semi retirement.

The storm was fine. Just typing was not there and there are a few bugs even with the releases that are out. I am just so much faster all around on the Curve I doubt I will even consider the Storm 2 should it be out some time.

I am really looking forward to the Niagara though. I very much like the curve, but wish it was just a tad bigger. I also really liked the clarity of picture on the storm and the speakers which the Niagara should at least match.
    Last edited by mjs31; 04-19-09 at 04:26 PM.
    04-19-09 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD