I am going to be going on a cruise in the few days and am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way for my wife to be able to contact her mom. Phone calls, either from a cell phone or a ship phone, are rediculously expensive. I have called verizon because I thought they had an international calling plan but apparently all they have for the ship and the bahamas is pay per minute of 1.99-2.49. She said that I could change my data plan to the international and have unlimited internet while I was away. I have a few questions requarding this.

1- Will I be able to use sykpe through a data only connection.

2- How can I tell that it would be using just the data connection and not actual minutes

3- Is there anyway for me to suspend all sms messages or have to forward to my email?

3- How can I tell if, while I am in the US, if I am using a local network that would't cost me anything or the ships network.

4- Will the GPS work on my phone while out at sea?

5- Anything that I am not thinking of?

Thanks.
    06-17-10 02:25 PM
    Honestly, I would get a phone card and call from the islands where you stop. She will not be able to make calls out at sea or use Data anyway. The ship is in charge of the antenna and they like it that way. The only place I have been able to use my cell phone was in port and it's pricey (except Puerto Rico). When you get to port, find a local market type store and buy a long distance card. Then find a phone. Internet on ships is extremely slow and unless you buy the "cruise pkg" it can be expensive. If you are worried about emergencies, there is still the regular ship to shore phone.
    06-17-10 05:04 PM
    According to verizon I will be able to use data and internet on my phone from the ship while at sea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 05:06 PM
    Hope so, but on the cruises I've been on that has not been the case in the open seas, only in port. Cell towers just don't reach that far and you would have to rely on the antenna from the ship. Maybe things have changed in two years and it would be great if they have.
    06-17-10 05:19 PM
    The ship I am on has this WMS: Wireless Maritime Services - A joint venture of AT&T and MTN Satellite Communications so I know I will be able to get service but can I use skype with only data?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 05:22 PM
    Ok, because I do not know what ship/ line you are on, I'll share my experience on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas. This past April, I took a cruise with my BB 9530. Prior to setting sail, I talked to the Verizon International Help Desk (Very Knowledgeable People) and set the following up on my account;

1) Blackberry GlobalEmail (Additional $1.17 per day on top of my BIS)
    2) Text Block
    3) Call forwarding to my google voice number

My goal was to be able to be connected through email and web, while minimizing potential cost. While I do not know if any calls/ texts were tried on my line while I was gone, I was not billed for any supporting that argument.

About the Ship's Tower: This was the most frustrating part when it came to connecting to RIM's servers. During most of the day, my phone displayed a 1x indicating no connection to the internet. This however changed to a 1X during the second seating for dinner, and throughout most of the 12am through 10am hours.

Internet Speed: Slow... think back to 56k dial-up, then go back a few years!

Skype: first off, this app doesn't actually transmit the signal over 3G EVDO. It is actually a call to a skype server, which then transfers it over to the internet.

Suggestion: Get a calling card for the islands if you need to talk, but if email works, take advantage of the GlobalEmail plan and advantage of times when the internet is up!
    06-17-10 06:18 PM
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know if skype could go completely over the data network.

Anybody know about the GPS?
    06-17-10 07:28 PM
    The gps should work anywhere - that is, it will know where you are located - the issue - generally you need DATA to get maps or be shown the location on a map. If you take photos with your device and you have geo-tagging on, the photo should have the lat/long info - that does NOT need data.
    06-17-10 08:52 PM
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know if skype could go completely over the data network.
    Skype will only work while you are on the Verizon network. And it will only work while you are in the US.

Anybody know about the GPS?
    GPS will work anywhere. Maps require data and most mapping applications are data intensive.
    06-17-10 09:36 PM
    Last year I was on two cruises to the Bahamas via Royal Carribean and Carnaival. Full service on the boats, w/ a nomminal fee of 3.99 per min. The ships fees start 3 miles out of port. In the Bahamas the fee was a standard 1.99 per min roaming fee. You must upgrade your calling plan to international for a one time fee on Verizon, (cancel when you return) The only way you can stop your BB from using data is to completly pull out the battery and leave it out and only replace it while your using it. Your bill will be an astronomical amount per VZ customer service. With that said I agree with the calling card plan via land line at your port destination.
    06-18-10 07:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD