06-30-09 05:36 PM
    06-30-09 05:38 PM
    I completely agree with the article.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 07:56 PM
    Good article. Saw it in the main forum but was an interesting read. RIM does need to some some serious retooling of the OS if they want to keep competing in the consumer space.
    06-30-09 08:05 PM
    I thought the same thing, but imo comparing it to apple, who has only 3 nearly identical devices with nearly identical OS, compared to the myriad of RIM devices that all require different things seemed a little unfair.

I do agree though rim needs more OS development. But on the same level nobody knows what os5.0 will bring, maybe rim will surprise everyone.

Last edited by Chuck Q; 06-30-09 at 08:17 PM.
    06-30-09 08:10 PM
    I also thought the article was a great one. Maybe it will wake RIM up.

06-30-09 08:18 PM
    It is a good article and correct in some ways. But part of what they are leaving out in all of this is how hard it is for RIM to make major OS change without threatening the FIPS 140-2 validation that they have. This is a major advantage to them and makes them the only device that can be used in sensitive environments or corporate environments where security is critical. FIPS is a slow process to go through also.

What RIM probably needs to do is come out with a commercial OS that has the blackberry goodies of BES/BIS but can run cool stuff, and keep a line of devices for the corporate/government space running the current line of OS. This will give the people who want the BBM, e-mail, etc but don't necessarily use a BES all that stuff and the flexibility to run other stuff. Heck may even make a new OS and put in a OS emulator to run the current stuff in.
    06-30-09 09:59 PM
    I thought the same thing, but imo comparing it to apple, who has only 3 nearly identical devices with nearly identical OS, compared to the myriad of RIM devices that all require different things seemed a little unfair.

I do agree though rim needs more OS development. But on the same level nobody knows what os5.0 will bring, maybe rim will surprise everyone.

you are agreed upon.
    06-30-09 10:05 PM
    I also thought the article was a great one. Maybe it will wake RIM up.

RIM has already been waken up. Apple continues to wake RIM up. And now they are secretive and quiet because their cooking up their new style. Man once RIM reclaims their throne, all ****-o is going to break loose. I bet when RIM gets their sht together, Apple is going to be happy that they finally got some big time competition, and the intelligent device war will begin!
    06-30-09 10:09 PM

No personal offense, but you're dreaming. OS5 is not much different then 4.7. A couple of new features, most of which are only available to BES users. The next 2 years will be hard on RIM's development shoulders.

06-30-09 10:39 PM
    Here is the deal with RIM.

I have had a Windows Mobile, and an Android phone. I have also used an iPhone, and been tempted to use PalmOS (although Sprint SUCKS).

However, I use a Curve. Despite the fact that it isn't as cool, flashy, or in many cases as powerful as these other types of phones, there is a reason.

For a WHILE I used WinMo, and it was pretty good. However, for some reason I wasn't completely happy with it, and just on a whim went out and bought a Berry to try out (while I still owned a one month after launch Touch Pro).

All of a sudden:
    -Having email on my phone was more enjoyable. (and faster)
    -I didn't have to log-in to the actual facebook site to get notifications.
    -I could use an IM client without my battery getting drained to death.
    -I could use my phone for more than 24 hrs without charging it (almost IMPOSSIBLE with these other smart phones).

Yes, if you want to play the latest games or install crazy apps, the Berry sucks. However, if you main focus is using a phone, or communicating, the Berry does it like no other phone. Despite losing some of the coolness/flashiness, and customization of the other OS's, I would never give up Blackberry OS just because communicating is much simpler, and I can do it without having to worry about my phone's battery going dead EVERY day.

Yes, eventually RIM needs to upgrade their OS. For reasons such as better programs, and browsing, added on to the fact that the UI isn't great (although the icon system they have going on is once again, non-flashy, but effective). However, stuff popping up like the new Blackberry Messenger tells me that they aren't completely ignoring what they have to do.

EDIT: Also, I realized I didn't address this as much towards Apple as may have been needed, but I don't even consider the iPhone an option. Having played with my friends' iphones, the battery life, lack of multi-tasking (which I think still exists?, not sure), and lack of hard keyboard options would keep me away.

While everyone complains about things like the Blackberry's facebook app, I LOVE it. Comparing it to the iPhone/G1's app, the battery drain from facebook on a Berry isn't even noticeable, and I don't want a FULL facebook app that works like a site, I'll use a PC for that. I love how it just makes it super easy to comment to people. Get my notifications instantly, go down to the box, reply, easy.
    Last edited by gpgorbosjr; 06-30-09 at 11:27 PM.
    06-30-09 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD