I am a Sprint user, and, when I updated my OS yesterday, it horribly messed up my contacts. All the information has been merged horribly. For instance, I have ten contacts under one name now, all of them have different phone numbers, email addresses, and physical addresses. Some all of the same email addresses. Some all have a consistent mobile number but all different work and home numbers.

I have a BIS account, and it all syncs with my gmail account, including the contacts. When I noticed my phone contacts were messed up, I hopped onto my gmail account, hoping I would find order there. Unfortunately, all the changes had already been copied over.

Is there a way to recover my pre-update contact list? Or are my contacts just gone? The only remedy I can think of is to delete everyone and start from scratch since I don't know who has an incorrectly merged piece of information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Two things that might be important: two weeks ago, I exported my contacts to a file in my downloads folder. Sometime between then and now--I honestly don't know when at all--I deleted that file, and my recycle bin has been emptied. Also, I did the OS update using DM. Thanks.
    Last edited by ejchis; 05-08-10 at 04:54 AM. Reason: More information
    05-08-10 04:44 AM
    Could always restore from a recent backup. But if you have none then your SOL.
    05-08-10 06:23 AM
    Desktop Manager usually backs up data or offers to backup data when you install the new OS. You might go into DM and follow the steps to RESTORE and see if it offers you a version with a new date or even older dates. But be careful that the gmail sync does not mess it up again when that process occurs.

Good luck.

As mentioned, you should always make your own manual backups using DM.
    05-08-10 08:49 AM
    I had a similar problem happen to me. Have you tried a battery pull yet? That fixed my issue, but yours sounds slightly different so I don't know if it will help, but what could it hurt?
    05-09-10 12:00 PM
    I had a similar problem and just restored my contacts. This guide will show you how to restore read only databases.

Backup or Restore read-only databases on the BlackBerry | corey gilmore's blog

Hope that helps...

Bill
    05-09-10 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD