Wait.. so does the Verizon Network Extender not work with the BB Tour? I just switched to Verizon so that I could buy the Network Extender so I would get a signal in my apt.
    As mentioned above, you won't get data services out of it. But it will work fine with your voice services. You can also look into the zBoost product I linked, that will also work with EVDO signals, but it's an amplifier where the Verizon Extender actually originates and terminates the signal so the signal won't be as clean (this may or may not even be noticeable to you).

Whether Verizon will update the extender to a model that supports data services is up in the air, but as of now no carrier's femtocell (that I'm aware of) supports data. The alternate solution is to push for wifi on all data-enabled phones, which Verizon is apparently doing (the Tour will hopefully be the last VZW BB without WiFi).
    07-30-09 06:33 AM
    so after over an hour with tech I, then tech II, then internal tech, and pulling the battery 4 or 5 times, and entering all sorts of codes, I went to the local store (was 8th in line) and got a replacement. I already noticed differences in the OS than I did with my first, and it is working now, so hopefully this one will be fine.
    07-30-09 07:18 AM
    Do those of you who are having connectivity issues happen to have a wireless router operating in the house?

They are known to have intermittent negative effects on other wireless devices IE: BB's.

Just a thought.
    07-30-09 08:15 AM
    For the first couple days I could not find out why no one could hear me. I then figured out that I go from 2 bars to 0 when I put the phone up to my head! So now I just talk to everyone on speaker phone or with a headset and no one complains anymore!
    Shouldn't have to do that with a device like this. Settle for should not be an option.
    07-30-09 08:25 AM
    Have you tried switching from global roaming to 1XEV? This helped me out. Now I get better reception and battery life.
    07-30-09 08:29 AM
    wifi is on 2.4 and should not effect a device running on 1.9ghz. Switching to just 1xev should not effect coverage either, but it will stop the phone from searching for GSM when it looses CDMA.
    07-30-09 11:04 AM
    I always had marginal service in my house but was able to make calls. With the Tour, I dropped a lot of calls in the house or could not hear/be heard. It gets great signal everywhere else in the city though. I bought the Verizon Network Extender from a local Verizon store. Also available on their website. It hooks through your broadband internet connection and makes it so when you call from home you connect through that. It works FANTASTIC!
    09-03-09 12:27 AM
    I always had marginal service in my house but was able to make calls. With the Tour, I dropped a lot of calls in the house or could not hear/be heard. It gets great signal everywhere else in the city though. I bought the Verizon Network Extender from a local Verizon store. Also available on their website. It hooks through your broadband internet connection and makes it so when you call from home you connect through that. It works FANTASTIC!
    Yeah, but you don't get EVDO speed with the network extender for data.

But I guess it doesn't matter, if you're at the house - just use a computer on your broadband connection.
    09-03-09 12:34 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD