We are getting our college age son a Tour today. He wants his school's email account set on it. Is that possible or is that considered a corporate account? We have BIS on our phones, no corporate account here.
    Thanks for any help on this one!! Much appreciated!
    10-26-09 07:36 AM
    It depends on the school. Check the school's IT website, they should have info on how to sync it up.

I wish I had a Blackberry during college. It would have made life so much easier!
    10-26-09 07:38 AM
    It depends on the school. Check the school's IT website, they should have info on how to sync it up.

I wish I had a Blackberry during college. It would have made life so much easier!
    10-26-09 07:39 AM
    Thank you both. VZW was great with us when we got our Tours (we have been with them for 16 years!) They set up my and my husband's phones for us in the store, we did nothing except get to play with them when we got home! And it has been a fun journey since!

I think our son is spoiled LOL!
    10-26-09 07:57 AM
    I have my Georgia Tech email on my Tour, so I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to get it to work.
    10-26-09 08:09 AM
    What college is your son going to? A little bit of digging and we should be able to find instructions for you on how to link it up to his Tour.
    10-26-09 08:16 AM
    I just got an email from the IT guy at the school and he's never set up an account on any other blackberry (wouldn't that be just our luck LOL!). I'll ask Verizon when I go today how this IT guy should do it!
    10-26-09 08:40 AM
    My school email was easily set up on my BlackBerry (My school uses Microsoft Outlook). However, like said above, it will differ depending on what type of email the school uses. You should be able to find help and information by contacting the IT department of the school.
    10-26-09 08:40 AM
    Oh Slinky, he goes to a very small college in a rural town in NH.
    10-26-09 08:49 AM
    I avoided any of the problems with my school's email by just forwarding it to a gmail account. This also eliminates the INEVITABLE spam that a college account will get. For Rutgers it is an amazingly staggering amount.
    10-26-09 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the tip apresutt. He does have a gmail account, that I know of. I'll tell him to forward the college stuff to that! Great idea! (Don't know how much spam he gets, as like I said, this is a VERY small school (about 200 students total)).
    10-26-09 09:00 AM
    Thanks for the tip apresutt. He does have a gmail account, that I know of. I'll tell him to forward the college stuff to that! Great idea! (Don't know how much spam he gets, as like I said, this is a VERY small school (about 200 students total)).
    Yeah it might be problem that the school is that small (I didn't even know there were colleges with that small of a student population!). What I mean by that is that since there is such a small number of students, the school will be less reliant on a mainstream email client. I'm surprised the IT person did not know what to do. If you enter the student address and the email setup comes back saying to re-enter the information or enter more details, then your best bet is to forward it to another email (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc.)
    10-26-09 09:13 AM
    I couldn't set up my school email on my phone, however I can, since the school mail is through google forward all my emails to my main email address on my phone. but in the end, it depends on the school.
    10-26-09 09:21 AM
    My daughter goes to ASU in Phoenix and has a Curve 8330 and was told, she couldnt get her [email protected] email on her bb.
    10-26-09 09:44 AM
    He should be able to easily. If he just puts in his email and password it should do it automatically. If that doesn't work, just put in the mail server address yourself. That server could probably be found by calling IT at the school or by going to the schools website and looking for it. That will definitely work.
    10-26-09 09:48 AM
    im in college and i have my college email account on my blackberry. im not gana lie tho it gets kind of annoying cause if get emails all day everyday. so i had to make a new profile so it dosnt ring every 5mins
    10-26-09 10:06 AM
    no issues with my boston college email here...
    10-26-09 10:09 AM
    no problem with U of Delaware email. No setup really req. I just said email acct was and pass and it basically automatically set it up.
    10-26-09 10:19 AM
    Thank you all for the help. Those of you who posted where you go to school, go to schools WAAAY bigger than our son's...so I'm thinking that since the school's IT person doesn't know...we might be out of luck. We'll try his xxx.edu address at Verizon (if we get a nice sales person who'll it for us lol). If not plan b is to use his gmail. I don't think he'll mind.

Again, many thanks, it's so great to have knowledgeable people in here!
    10-26-09 11:07 AM
    Thank you all for the help. Those of you who posted where you go to school, go to schools WAAAY bigger than our son's...so I'm thinking that since the school's IT person doesn't know...we might be out of luck. We'll try his xxx.edu address at Verizon (if we get a nice sales person who'll it for us lol). If not plan b is to use his gmail. I don't think he'll mind.

Again, many thanks, it's so great to have knowledgeable people in here!
    well mine works i go to a small school. theres only about 4,000 undergrads. if even
    10-26-09 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD