Problem: Coffee spilled all over my Tour
    Issues:
    1. 15 keys on keypad do not work
    2. GPS activated, but seemingly not working
    3. Trackball will not "select" when pushed
    4. Volume "up" doesnt work on right side {down does work }
    5. Possible other issues not yet noticed !!

I have used rubbing alcohol to clean the keys and the casing to remove residue, and it is no longer sticky and looks "pre-coffee spill" condition.

I have called my local Telus store about a cleaning, and they mentioned that for $35 they will disassemble the phone "acid-clean???" it and put it back together....

What is this acid cleaning they are proposing, has anyone used it ? What do you think the chances are of it being cleaned. .... Really worried about the GPS issue

Thanks
    05-11-10 04:56 PM
    Never heard of this acid-cleaning stuff but you might just be out a device. And with all the problems you are describing...might be a crap shoot.
    05-11-10 05:36 PM
    Probably just a word they use to make it sound more sophisticated and thus, justify the fee a bit more (though, $35.00 is not too bad given that it will probably take them a half hour or so to clean it properly). As to being "acidic" heck, lots of stuff is acidic, lemon juice is acidic (not that they'd use it) but saying "acid wash" sounds more sophisticated than saying "we dip it in lemon juice." And of course, there are no guarantees that a simple cleaning will take care of the problem. Liquid may have fried some of the delicate circuitry. Good luck!

P.S. Your thread title sounds like the title to a catchy blues tune: "I gots coffee on my tour, coffee on my tour.......and now the old lady she ain't with me no more...coffee on my tour...." ok, sorry
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 05-11-10 at 05:46 PM.
    05-11-10 05:44 PM
    I've been on tour with coffee as well, but they had to pee all the time. Oh bugger. Anyhow. I've heard that if you drop the battery and place the device in a bowl of dry rice over night, it will draw out the liquid. Your level of success though depends greatly upon how long ago the damage occurred. Best of luck, mate.
    05-11-10 05:51 PM
    I'll presume you don't have insurance since you're talking about having the device cleaned instead of making a claim with Asurion. Their acid bath might refer to pulling the phone apart and using distilled water since anything very acidic might eat away at the wiring/soldering (as mentioned by another poster). I would make sure that they guarantee their work or guarantee to replace it if they end up making it worse since that's very possible.
    05-11-10 07:12 PM
    I have a Tour now because I dropped my Curve straight into a cup of coffee last year. I did dry it out and restore it to what looked like its pre-swim condition, but it was bricked and couldn't be resurrected. I actually had the insurance, but after their deductible charge it was cheaper (and WAY less hassle) to just buy the new Tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-12-10 09:38 PM
    In my one experience with Asurion, it was very easy to get a replacement. Did it all through the website, paid the deductible, and had the replacement the next business day. Sent the dead one back in the included envelope. But that's OT
    The phone soundls like a goner to me. You've already had it part and dried it, so liquid should not be an issue anymore.

05-13-10 07:14 AM
    If it was wet and you tried to turn it on, chances are it's fried.
    You have to immediately get the battery out and get it in rice.
    That's your best shot at success.
    05-13-10 08:45 AM
    Its a Miracle !!!

It was what "EnergyPlus" described. Basicly they pulled it all apart and cleaned it with distilled water.
    I now have a complete functioning keypad, volume control, a trackball that "selects" when pushed, still can't roll worth a **it... but at least it is back to pre-coffee rollage...

And the Bluetooth and GPS are recognized !!

I am so happy, as I started looking into both the new curve and the bold to replace it with (Wifi !!), but quickly realized that they just werent the same as the Tour.

And they never charged me the fee ! Oh Happy Day.
    05-14-10 09:53 AM
    I think we can close this thread Mods so as not to clog up the site.
    05-14-10 10:01 AM
    Congrats. If you give it sufficient time to dry out it will work fine.
    05-14-10 12:33 PM
    Congrats, but now I gotta come up with a new blues tune!
    05-14-10 12:38 PM
    Definitely don't turn it on while it's wet. Good advice!

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that the other issue with getting a phone wet isn't so much the liquid... it's what's left after it dries out (coffee/cream residue).

If it was anything other than water, I'd rinse your BB with distilled water to get whatever liquid/crud out, then go through a THOROUGH drying process in a dessicant (best bet is in a sealed container with dry kitty litter or charcoal, use a paper towel to separate your bb from the dessicant). This will take several days, but has a good success rate (at least for me).
    05-14-10 02:53 PM
    Hmmm...I'm thinking I would definitely stay away from charcoal and I'm not too thrilled with the kitty litter idea...both contain a great deal of dust and the last thing I want to do is put my device in a dusty environment. I like the rice idea the best. Rice grains are large, there is no dust and if a rice grain gets into your phone, it's easy enough to remove. I realize this is why you suggest the paper towel to separate the device from the desicent, but I'd just prefer not to take the chance.

One other alternative, but again, there is a concern about particulate getting into your device, would be salt, which is a terrific desicent in most situations but perhaps not advisable in this situation as the particals are relatively small and would be hard to remove.

Definitely don't turn it on while it's wet. Good advice!

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that the other issue with getting a phone wet isn't so much the liquid... it's what's left after it dries out (coffee/cream residue).

If it was anything other than water, I'd rinse your BB with distilled water to get whatever liquid/crud out, then go through a THOROUGH drying process in a dessicant (best bet is in a sealed container with dry kitty litter or charcoal, use a paper towel to separate your bb from the dessicant). This will take several days, but has a good success rate (at least for me).
    05-14-10 03:22 PM
    Hmmm...I'm thinking I would definitely stay away from charcoal and I'm not too thrilled with the kitty litter idea...both contain a great deal of dust and the last thing I want to do is put my device in a dusty environment. I like the rice idea the best. Rice grains are large, there is no dust and if a rice grain gets into your phone, it's easy enough to remove. I realize this is why you suggest the paper towel to separate the device from the desicent, but I'd just prefer not to take the chance.

One other alternative, but again, there is a concern about particulate getting into your device, would be salt, which is a terrific desicent in most situations but perhaps not advisable in this situation as the particals are relatively small and would be hard to remove.

Point well taken. I should have stressed the importance of a "divider" between the desiccant and the phone (hence, the paper towel).

And salt would be a HORRIBLE desiccant to use!!! You do NOT want to have anything electronic remotely near a salty environment. Regardless of particle size, salt + water + metal = corrosion. VERY VERY VERY BAD!!!
    05-17-10 10:50 AM
    LOL...ok, we're both standing corrected. You're right, absolutely. Personally, I still like the rice approach!

Point well taken. I should have stressed the importance of a "divider" between the desiccant and the phone (hence, the paper towel).

And salt would be a HORRIBLE desiccant to use!!! You do NOT want to have anything electronic remotely near a salty environment. Regardless of particle size, salt + water + metal = corrosion. VERY VERY VERY BAD!!!
    05-17-10 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD