I throw this question to the feet of the more experienced smart phone users... (Tour is my first)...

My Messages folder has become fairly PACKED with emails and texts, mostly emails. I've only been deleting things that I definitely never wanted to see again. At this point if I press "B" in Messages, it takes over ten seconds to react and go to the bottom of the list.

Am I risking problems down the road if I let them keep piling up? Any way to check how much space I have left? What is your policy for deleting old messages?
    11-08-09 11:35 AM
    I throw this question to the feet of the more experienced smart phone users... (Tour is my first)...

My Messages folder has become fairly PACKED with emails and texts, mostly emails. I've only been deleting things that I definitely never wanted to see again. At this point if I press "B" in Messages, it takes over ten seconds to react and go to the bottom of the list.

Am I risking problems down the road if I let them keep piling up? Any way to check how much space I have left? What is your policy for deleting old messages?
    If you keep letting the messages pile up, the BlackBerry will start deleting them itself once your memory gets too low. Low memory will also result in random reboots.

You can check your memory by going to Options>Status, and then you will see File Free.

I usually delete messages after 15 days. You might be able to keep them longer, since the Tour has more RAM than the Bold.
    11-08-09 12:09 PM
    Also keep in mind that you can delete off the device and keep on the email server
    11-08-09 02:23 PM
    Just out of curiosity, how many emails did you have on there?? I delete mine daily so they don't pile up.
    11-08-09 04:00 PM
    You can check your memory by going to Options>Status, and then you will see File Free.
    Thanks. It's a lot more than 15 days worth, basically a few months. Anyway when I check "file free" in the Status, it shows over a GB. Would this mean the Tour stores mail on the included memory card, and I have no worries?
    11-08-09 06:43 PM
    Just out of curiosity, how many emails did you have on there?? I delete mine daily so they don't pile up.
    Is there a quick way to get a count? If I had to guess, I would say a couple thousand emails.
    11-08-09 06:44 PM
    go into options, status, menu key, database sizes. you can see there how many messages are there and how much memory they are taking. check that and report back.
    11-08-09 06:50 PM
    go into options, status, menu key, database sizes. you can see there how many messages are there and how much memory they are taking. check that and report back.
    Really cool, thanks! Here's where I'm at--

Attachment data-- 32/1347K
    Messages-- 2231/4055K
    SMS-- 407/175K

Anything to worry about here?
    11-08-09 08:09 PM
    If you keep letting the messages pile up, the BlackBerry will start deleting them itself once your memory gets too low. Low memory will also result in random reboots.

I usually delete messages after 15 days. You might be able to keep them longer, since the Tour has more RAM than the Bold.
    Not yet. i just checked mines and i was at around 4000 sms and had 20 mms which came to be around 7000kb total and my phone was doing okay. i just deleted everything and i notice a pretty good improvement when opening applications. if you dont need those emails definitely delete them. (woops meant to quote the guy above me .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 08:33 PM
    May I suggest deleting some messages, bcuz that is a high amount of emails.
    I delete emails every 15 days.
    11-08-09 08:33 PM
    May I suggest deleting some messages, bcuz that is a high amount of emails.
    I delete emails every 15 days.
    Thanks everyone, I started deleting emails and it definitely does keep things quicker.
    11-08-09 09:45 PM
    I have mine set to save they forever, but I delete on handheld only everything but my BES work account after I've read it (unless it's something I'm likely to reference on the fly.) I do keep work mail forever because I reference old mail often.
    11-08-09 09:59 PM
    Just FYI guys - as an above poster mentioned, he had approx 4000 messages, and his database size was only 7MB. Running the latest hybrid, with well over 10,000 messages (sms&email) I still have 121MB file free, and 113MB application free space. I have all the standard apps installed that most of you do as well. So that alone should give you some kind of indicator of how powerful this device is. Someone above also mentioned that the BB will start deleting messages at a certain point...most people will probably NEVER experience this with the Tour, because it has so much memory. While that statement IS true for older devices like the 8830, its not necessarily true for the Tour. With the newer BB's rolling out, we no longer have to worry about this sort of thing. However, it is good to keep yout BB tidy...so every now and then, take a peek at your sms/mms/phone call log/messages database sizes. You can do this by going into options>status press the bb key, and select database sizes. 1000kb=1mb - so here you'll be able to better determine what you need to clean up, if anything.

11-08-09 10:09 PM
    I'm at 5212 messages occupying 8MB. I have 120MB free. No way the op's lag issue has anything to with messages size. This thing should, as the above poster mentions, keep powering along with only 5MB taken by messages. Has to be something else.

11-08-09 10:42 PM
    I didn't mean overall phone lag issues... I only meant lag relating to the Messages app. Opening up Messages, jumping around with shortcuts, and pretty much any messaging function is DEFINITELY affected by how many you have in there.

If you want to test you could back up all your messages to PC, then delete all off the BB. You will notice.
    11-09-09 10:42 PM
    Ohh, I for one assumed you meant general phone lag...I do agree with you here. Even with 2000 messages, the phone lags within the messaging app while using shortcuts like b, t, etc...especially with threaded sms

I didn't mean overall phone lag issues... I only meant lag relating to the Messages app. Opening up Messages, jumping around with shortcuts, and pretty much any messaging function is DEFINITELY affected by how many you have in there.

If you want to test you could back up all your messages to PC, then delete all off the BB. You will notice.
    11-09-09 11:23 PM
    Ohh, I for one assumed you meant general phone lag...I do agree with you here. Even with 2000 messages, the phone lags within the messaging app while using shortcuts like b, t, etc...especially with threaded sms

Mine zips right along in the message app, shortcuts, etc. all work just fine, no lag. Over 5k messages...
    11-10-09 10:14 AM
    I set my phone to "Delete Every 30 Days" but it hasn't deleted anything yet? Is this a problem for anyone else?
    11-11-09 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD