So, the other day I picked up my 9630 and realized the trackball would not rotate down. I could roll it upward, to the left and to the right without a problem. This has happened on occasion with my 9630 and even with my old 8330. I usually just keep rolling the ball in all different directions and eventually whatever is gunking it up breaks free. Not this time!!!

I tried the trick of slipping a thin strip of paper underneath the trackball and moving it about in different directions. It didn't help, so I did it again...and again...and again. Still, no luck.

Finally, I took a Q-Tip and dipped it in a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I shook off the Q-Tip and touched the Q-Tip to my trackball. I tried rolling it around. Still no go. I repeated the process a couple more times and eventually the gunk broke free. My trackball was working again.

If you ever try this, be very, very careful on how much rubbing alcohol you are letting touch your trackball. I can not imagine this is a very good thing to do because alcohol dries and I suppose could even degrade the integrity of the rubber. So - try this with extreme caution.
    05-01-10 12:15 AM
    Anothe trick that sometimes works on my 9000 is a blast of canned air.

For the alcohol I dampen a microfiber cloth and roll the trackball around. That seems to work and minimizes alcohol contact with the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-10 06:20 AM
    You can also dip a Q-Tip in alcohol & dab the trackball...roll it around & dab it again. Don't drown the Q-Tip...dab it lightly. It dries immediately
    05-05-10 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD