I apologize if this has been asked and answered... I did a search for "charging battery" and looked at a few results and couldn't find the correct question/answer.

I'm a spankin-new Blackberry user. I own a Tour.

This morning, in about 5 hours, my battery has dropped two bars.

A couple of questions, please:

1. Is there anything I should be doing to reduce the usage? I have disabled the Bluetooth (I thought I had heard that can sap some battery)... but are there other things that I could do. Oh... I also disabled the GSM, since I probably won't be traveling internationally.

2. Is this normal for a Blackberry? If so, I'll feel at ease.

3. Is there any problem with charging the battery if it's not empty? I don't mind keeping it charged with my car charger, while I'm driving... or charging it nightly... but I remember with the older phones having to worry about shortening the battery life if a person is charging it before it's empty. Or is that a myth?

Thank you for any insight any of you can offer... I greatly appreciate it!

Ted
    07-14-09 02:21 PM
    I apologize if this has been asked and answered... I did a search for "charging battery" and looked at a few results and couldn't find the correct question/answer.

I'm a spankin-new Blackberry user. I own a Tour.

This morning, in about 5 hours, my battery has dropped two bars.

A couple of questions, please:

1. Is there anything I should be doing to reduce the usage? I have disabled the Bluetooth (I thought I had heard that can sap some battery)... but are there other things that I could do. Oh... I also disabled the GSM, since I probably won't be traveling internationally.

2. Is this normal for a Blackberry? If so, I'll feel at ease.

3. Is there any problem with charging the battery if it's not empty? I don't mind keeping it charged with my car charger, while I'm driving... or charging it nightly... but I remember with the older phones having to worry about shortening the battery life if a person is charging it before it's empty. Or is that a myth?

Thank you for any insight any of you can offer... I greatly appreciate it!

Ted
    Welcome to the wonderful world of BB Ted,

By reading some of the initial reviews, some appear to be having a few battery issues, I've had mine unplugged for about 7 hours now and fairly minimal use, I'm not even down 1 bar yet. As you use and charge your battery the use should get better. If you dont have a lot of apps loaded on it yet, that shouldn't be the problem. Be careful of how many programs you have running at once, that can suck a battery down quick. (To check what programs are running, hold down the BB button and a list of what you have open will show up. There are about 6 apps you cannot close so do worry about those.)

I charge my BB in my car every night even when its about half dead and I dont have a problem. These batteries are set up to supposedly not get a "Memory" but you can never be too sure. I wouldnt worry about that.

Best of luck.
    07-14-09 02:28 PM
    1 and 2 I don't know.
    3 only problem you have will be heat and time (as in battery gets older capacity decreases, high temps will speed it up.) Keeping your battery fully charged all the time will also speed it up.
    07-14-09 02:30 PM
    is the normal life for Lithium batteries. Less than 2 years under daily use. Planned obsolescence for iPhones.
    07-14-09 02:39 PM
    Thank you all for replying... sadly, by 4:30 PM, my battery was in the red.

I did hold down the Menu key and saw some apps running...and did my best to close them. The browser was running and for some reason I could not close it.

Which apps are "unclosable"?

Also, is there a quick way to close it from the "hold-down-menu" screen? Or do I have to select each app, then close it from the menu IN that app?

Also, what else could be causing a quick power drain? I'm guessing Bluetooth... I just wonder if I'll be able to remember to disable Bluetooth each time I get out of my car...what a hassle that seems!

Any other "power-management" tips would be GREATLY appreciated... because going from GREEN to RED within 10 hours seems a bit excessive...and I believe it's something I am doing wrong... and not the device itself.
    07-14-09 07:30 PM
    Welcome to the wonderful world of BB Ted,

By reading some of the initial reviews, some appear to be having a few battery issues, I've had mine unplugged for about 7 hours now and fairly minimal use, I'm not even down 1 bar yet. As you use and charge your battery the use should get better. If you dont have a lot of apps loaded on it yet, that shouldn't be the problem. Be careful of how many programs you have running at once, that can suck a battery down quick. (To check what programs are running, hold down the BB button and a list of what you have open will show up. There are about 6 apps you cannot close so do worry about those.)

I charge my BB in my car every night even when its about half dead and I dont have a problem. These batteries are set up to supposedly not get a "Memory" but you can never be too sure. I wouldnt worry about that.

Best of luck.
    Thanks for the tip on holding down the BB menu button. I didn't know that one yet and it makes it a lot easier to shut down apps that you've forgotten you've got up and running.
    07-15-09 09:46 AM
    Try reducing your screen brightness! I was having some battery suck issues this morning and this seems to have helped. The default setting is at 100, but the screen is still perfectly readable and sharp at lower settings.

To do this go to options >>> screen/keyboard >>> backlight brightness

You can also fiddle with the backlight timeout there too.

Putting your phone in standby mode helps too.

Good luck with your BlackBerry and welcome!
    07-15-09 09:49 AM
    GPS and self-updating applications running in the background will kill a battery. For example, I left Google Maps and UberTwitter running one day my battery was pretty much dead before I even left work. The next day I didn't run either of those apps (and I turned the screen brightness down) and my battery lasted until I went to bed.
    07-15-09 09:55 AM
    Thank you for the additional tips!

I turned down the brightness to 50 and you're right... I can still see the screen just fine.

And Slinky, I'll remember that tip if/when I ever install Google Maps. (It looks like a VERY useful app!)
    07-15-09 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD