OK...so this is my first BB. The battery life doesn't seem too bad on it. I only charge it when the battery gets low. I was just wondering the best way to charge it. Should I wait until it gets low to charge it? or can I charge it whenever? I just don't want to screw up the battery by overcharging it. On that note when the phone does get low and I charge it, how long should I charge it for? It doesn't say fully charged like the LG phones use too. Like I said before I don't want to ruin the battery since it is my first BB. Thanks
    10-09-09 01:16 PM
    You can't overcharge the battery so keep it as charged as possible. The battery will automatically stop charging once it reaches 100%. In relationship to how long it takes, just depends on how low your battery is although I have noticed that the Tour is slower to charge then my previous Curve.

So charge away!
    10-09-09 01:25 PM
    I could be wrong, but last I heard, you can't really mess up batteries like in the old days. Plug it in when it needs it or when its convenient. You can check the charge level by going to "options" and the into "status".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 01:25 PM
    Isn't it fully charged when the little lightning bolt over the battery icon goes away?
    10-09-09 01:51 PM
    Isn't it fully charged when the little lightning bolt over the battery icon goes away?
    Yes, that is right!
    10-09-09 01:56 PM
    I couldn't find the other thread for it so I thought this an appropriate place to mention this. We were discussing the battery life of the Tour and I was one of the folks who was getting terrible battery life, barely making it through the workday with it.

Well, I followed the advice of folks on these forums, downloaded AutoStandby, made sure to close out of my programs instead of just backing out of them, lowered my screen brightness, turned off GPS, made sure to switch from Global to 1XEV, and then tried again.

Fully charged at 12PM on Wednesday (10/7/09) (100% battery)
    Currently it is 12PM on Friday (10/9/09) (45% battery)

So in 48 full hours of normal usage, I've still got about half left, meaning I could realistically stretch one charge to 4 full days of use, 3 1/2 more likely before recharging. Feels great to have a phone that can work for more than half a day now!
    10-09-09 02:03 PM
    10-09-09 04:18 PM
    You can't overcharge the battery so keep it as charged as possible. The battery will automatically stop charging once it reaches 100%. In relationship to how long it takes, just depends on how low your battery is although I have noticed that the Tour is slower to charge then my previous Curve.

So charge away!
    My old curve charged quickly enough, even if drained. Tour battery takes for-ffin-ever using the oem travel charger. Worse using micro usb charger off my laptop.
    10-09-09 07:00 PM
    I couldn't find the other thread for it so I thought this an appropriate place to mention this. We were discussing the battery life of the Tour and I was one of the folks who was getting terrible battery life, barely making it through the workday with it.

Well, I followed the advice of folks on these forums, downloaded AutoStandby, made sure to close out of my programs instead of just backing out of them, lowered my screen brightness, turned off GPS, made sure to switch from Global to 1XEV, and then tried again.

Fully charged at 12PM on Wednesday (10/7/09) (100% battery)
    Currently it is 12PM on Friday (10/9/09) (45% battery)

So in 48 full hours of normal usage, I've still got about half left, meaning I could realistically stretch one charge to 4 full days of use, 3 1/2 more likely before recharging. Feels great to have a phone that can work for more than half a day now!
    Impressive! I also turned off gps, and went to 1xev when i got the phone - left brightness and auto standby though, but i only make it around 12-13 hours before i'm down to "low battery"
    10-09-09 11:20 PM
    What is Autostandby? and where do I dl it?

I have had my Tour for about 5 weeks now...and I am completely addicted. My ONLY complaint is the battery life. I feel like others that have BB's have much better life, unless I'm really on it THAT much and don't realize it. I have the dimmer set for 10 seconds, made sure not in GPS, close out apps, etc. Still after a few hours of use my battery is drained to like 50%. Now granted, I mostly use it at the office and the reception in there goes in and out...
    10-10-09 08:23 AM
    I'm trying to remember where I read this at and I think on blackberries website under battery saving features. But it said after the first few initial times of letting the battery drain all the way down and charge it right back up again it said that it was not good on the battery to keep doing that. I would say that charge it every night or as much as needed. I had also heard that letting it sit on the charger and trickle charge is good for the battery.

10-10-09 09:23 AM
    you made me buy one! lol
    10-10-09 10:53 AM
    What is Autostandby? and where do I dl it?
    AutoStandby - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    10-10-09 11:15 AM
    I had my Tour for about a month and was getting great battery life...only a couple bars gone at the end of the day. I had to exchange it due to a sw glitch, and Verizon set up my new Tour completely. I got horrible battery life on the new Tour. I read all the suggestions to extend battery life, which included deleting languages not used -- I had done this when I set up the original Tour. I checked, and Verizon had not done that on the replacement Tour. I deleted all the languages except English and it has made a huge difference. I'm basically back to where I was with the battery lasting several days.
    10-10-09 12:36 PM
    Someone on this thread said batteries are not what they used to be and you can charge as much as you like with no ill effects. I remember being told for other battery devices if you don't let it fully discharge before recharging you will end up limiting the battery life. So this isn't true anymore? I'd like to keep my Tour in the charging cradle each night, just b/c it's a good alarm stand, but I was afraid to do that since it always has plenty of charge left at the end of the day. So I don't need to worry about that anymore??
    10-10-09 12:40 PM
    if you put your fone on standby mode while charging it goes a lot faster
    10-10-09 12:46 PM
    Someone on this thread said batteries are not what they used to be and you can charge as much as you like with no ill effects. I remember being told for other battery devices if you don't let it fully discharge before recharging you will end up limiting the battery life. So this isn't true anymore? I'd like to keep my Tour in the charging cradle each night, just b/c it's a good alarm stand, but I was afraid to do that since it always has plenty of charge left at the end of the day. So I don't need to worry about that anymore??
    I was told that can cause more harm than good when you let your battery drain all the way down so charge when it gets low.

10-10-09 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD