EDGE
    E-DVO Rev. A
    UMTS/HSPA
    HSDPA

Is that order correct? based on speed. and which carrier supports what...if i get the Tour on Verizonwireless considering they are on E-VDO Rev (A) its like having a Mercedes-Benz to drive in the suburbs.

Interesting enough... when i make a comparison between the Bold and the Tour on the RIM website they are listed with different specs for the network they support (

On my area: Miami, FL ive been told ATT has better 3G coverage than Verizon, (NYC users certainly experience it different).

My att acount manager for my business told me like in 3 months ATT will have the Tour for sale and ATT will lit up and extension of UMTS that will put devices that supports it on a 3.5G speed. But has no plans so far maybe in a year to lit up the HSDPA.

Now... as a current Curve 8330 Verizon Wireless user... should i be looking at the Tour to stay on E-VDORev.A (Yet waiting for a response on Verizon regarding my dilemma and if they plan to migrate to a better speed technology).

my main concern its speed since phone will be also be used for tethering.

thanks for your guru's insights....
    07-21-09 03:10 PM
    Verizon is working on LTE but I wouldn't look for much of a roll out before late 2010 or even 2011. Sprint is in the process of rolling out WIMAX, but again it is slow in coming but farther along than LTE.

Yes, AT&T has the ability of much faster internet than the CDMA providers but the coverage is extremely limited for the really fast stuff and still much more limited for their normal 3G. If you mainly stay in your home city and don't travel much then that may be an option for you. If you do any amount of traveling outside your immediate are then you will likely get better overall high speed coverage from VZW/Sprint.
    07-21-09 03:37 PM
    getting the Tour on verizon to replace my Curve 8330 and then unlocking the tour and porting my number and switching carriers to ATT for a better internet speed.

Would that work?
    07-21-09 05:13 PM
    My Tour on Sprint is WAY faster then my Bold on AT&T. I'm in northern NJ and NYC.
    07-21-09 05:17 PM
    getting the Tour on verizon to replace my Curve 8330 and then unlocking the tour and porting my number and switching carriers to ATT for a better internet speed.

Would that work?
    No, the Tour does not have the radio frequencies built into it to support ATT or T-mobiles 3G speeds.
    07-21-09 05:26 PM
    So much for a hopefull verizon wireless user that wishes for his carrier to offer a better mobile broadband speed.
    07-22-09 04:41 PM
    Seriously, maximum theoretical speeds and real-life speeds are two totally different beasts.

HSDPA has the *potential* to offer 41Mbps downloads... but even in areas where at&t has 3.5 HSPA, people still can't get past 1.5 usually. Why? Because the backbone simply isn't there and there are too many factors that can interfere with wireless performance.

IMO Rev A is superior to HSPA in the US simply because of coverage. Both Sprint and Verizon have Rev A on 80%+ of their towers... at&t is probably HSPA on like 20%
    07-22-09 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD