Hi, I have a blackberry tour from sprint that is unlocked that I want to get hooked up in Canada. I have tried at a few different carriers like telus, virgin mobile canada and fido but they say I they can't hook it hook because of the IMEI number. I wanted to go with virgin as they have a good plan right now. I thought because it was unlocked and a tour i could use it anywhere. At some of the carriers website you can check the IMEI and it say's the phone can't be used on their network. I tried a couple of other numbers that were close to mine just to see if it was my phone only but they all said the same thing. Does anyone know why? Are the carries just being difficult and want me to buy a new phone? I don't know if I try to get someones sim card and just try it to see if it work's or no? Thanks
    11-19-10 05:35 AM
    Yes I would definitely try. I know with Boost, when you want to add say a Sprint Tour on to their CDMA side. In order to activate it, you have to call up and tell them you have a Boost branded phone(any cdma type) and then when they ask for the IMEI you give them the one off the Sprint Tour. One of two things will happen: The rep will first see that the IMEI doesn't come up in their system, they will either then deny you saying the phone is not ok to put on their network. In the event of this, you just hang up and call back(maybe at a different time of day) and repeat the process until one of the reps accepts the IMEI, which always happens(at least at Boost). It may take three or four calls though.

Good luck
    11-20-10 07:30 AM
    I contacted a guy from ebay canada and asked him about some blackberry tours he had for sale if they would work on virgin mobile canada and he said no because they use a different frequency. I said but they are quad band and he said "quad band but base on GSM frequency. But as we know, Virgin is using a HSDPA frequency" so I don't know what that means.
    11-20-10 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD