Hello folks,

New Tour owner here. I was leaning towards the Bold because my boss prefers AT&T but Verizon made much better sense for my overall usage. We have some pretty specific requirements but there's one that is stumping us both.

I know the Tour can be tethered domestically. Our company requires that we have the ability to tether internationally. Although my boss has no problems tethering on her older model Blackberry through AT&T with no overage charges, AT&T told me, it's not possible. I suspect what they really mean is "we don't have a plan for international tethering" bu it's obviously possible with the risk of incurring overage charges. I grilled Verizon next. Every one of othem said yes, except their national and global CS, that the Tour is tetherable internationally. And yes, I would incur charges.

Now, here's my question, is it really? Set aside the overage charges, is it technically possible? There may be very few situations (1-2 days a year, my boss much much more than that) where I may be stuck at a client site who can't provide me internet access where tethering would be really convenient.

I have the BB unlimited data plan and will turn on the international BB unlimited data plan prior to my travels. Please clear things up for us.
    07-31-09 05:44 PM
    Hello folks,

New Tour owner here. I was leaning towards the Bold because my boss prefers AT&T but Verizon made much better sense for my overall usage. We have some pretty specific requirements but there's one that is stumping us both.

I know the Tour can be tethered domestically. Our company requires that we have the ability to tether internationally. Although my boss has no problems tethering on her older model Blackberry through AT&T with no overage charges, AT&T told me, it's not possible. I suspect what they really mean is "we don't have a plan for international tethering" bu it's obviously possible with the risk of incurring overage charges. I grilled Verizon next. Every one of othem said yes, except their national and global CS, that the Tour is tetherable internationally. And yes, I would incur charges.

Now, here's my question, is it really? Set aside the overage charges, is it technically possible? There may be very few situations (1-2 days a year, my boss much much more than that) where I may be stuck at a client site who can't provide me internet access where tethering would be really convenient.

I have the BB unlimited data plan and will turn on the international BB unlimited data plan prior to my travels. Please clear things up for us.
    Unless they fixed it recently, don't believe what the Verizon rep told you. It's been a while since I was there but when I went to Paris and I had both the tethering and international data roaming options added to my plan (8830) I SPECIFICALLY asked the rep if I will be able to tether while in Paris. When I got there, lo and behold it would not work and when I called up Verizon Global Support they told me it's not possible. I was really lucky that I was able to snake a WiFi signal for my laptop cause I needed to do work while I was there.

My suggestion is to called up Verizon Global Support and ask them, because the reps in the store and even on the phone for domestic service most of the time don't know **** or are just blowing smoke up your backside... If they're the ones that told you no it's not possible, believe them
    07-31-09 05:51 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. When I called the national CS, I got bumped around a lot and put on hold. Eventually, someone did stick with me and asked the global CS if this were possible. It is not according to him.

It's too bad. I was beginning to fall in love with the Tour too. I guess this will have to go back and I'll have to get the Bold.
    07-31-09 06:00 PM
    Global data packages are available from Verizon. It is $43.99/mo. I cancelled one for a client last nigh, it is on the drop down menu of options available on EROS the VZW customer data system. Call 800-711-8300 VZW International Customer Care. The phone was an 8830.
    07-31-09 06:11 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. When I called the national CS, I got bumped around a lot and put on hold. Eventually, someone did stick with me and asked the global CS if this were possible. It is not according to him.

It's too bad. I was beginning to fall in love with the Tour too. I guess this will have to go back and I'll have to get the Bold.
    You can always get the Tour and put it on AT&T...
    And it sounds like jtc89's info is more up to date than mine (it was over a year ago I was in Paris) so you never know maybe Global tethering IS possible now...
    07-31-09 06:34 PM
    Isn't there also an app for the new OS that will allow you to tether with a standard data plan? That may be another option. I know the APP was $50 or so (can't remember the name of it now), but that with international data may be another way to go.
    07-31-09 07:40 PM
    Tetherberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 07:52 PM
    I know I'm going to sound nooby here...

Anyhow, I know there's a global data plan. No biggie. That I would turn on when I travel overseas. Once I'm there, however, will I be able to tether with my laptop? Verizon Store says yes, yes, and yes. But then they tried to push their netbook on me which they say is undeniably the most cost-effective way to use the internet globally. This makes me suspect that it's possible but they may have locked it down in some way, want to discourage it or agreed with their partners overseas not to allow it (if that's possible).

So after I posted, I dropped by the AT&T store. Saw the line and walked right out. It's been a few years since I've had to get another phone. I've never seen the lines in both Verizon and AT&T so long before ever.

I'm tempted to just throw in the towel and hope I can rent something if I ever find myself overseas.

I can check my email via browser. Make phone calls. Download files and probably transfer them to my laptop and so some work. Do I really need tethering? Eh... not so sure anymore.
    07-31-09 08:31 PM
    The information you received about no international tethering is correct. I know this because I work Global and Tech Support for VZW. The Global plan you would use does not include tethering, it only allows you unlim email/web/messenger access from your device. Select locations around the world only offer 100-200 mb to use before you pay either .02-.05 per kb in overages. Hope this helps out.
    07-31-09 08:41 PM
    Sorry, I should have clarified a little more about the 100-200 mb....that's if you are using a global aircard. I would'nt be surprised if tethering internationally would'nt be the next big thing that you see.
    07-31-09 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD