Alright, so I have the 9630, on the service provider "Bell" which I believe is the equivalent to the American "Verizon" (Could be wrong?). Right now my BB is running 4.7.1.57. My step-dad (who's work is based out of the states) runs his 9630 off Verizon and has 5.0, which has threaded SMS. Now I'm curious, with having a Bell 9630, would it be possible for me to download the 5.0 (or higher?) OS and run it comfortably on my device? Obviously it works for my step-dad but my concern is, would I have to sacrifice my contacts, text message history, and BBM contacts? Or would this be like any other update, just allowing me to use the threaded SMS feature?

Any help, tips, guides, answers, etc. appreciated
    08-15-10 11:58 PM
    Im on Bell too! I have a 9530 and the current "official" update is a 5.0.0.419 but honestly you should just upgrade to the newest leak cause im running 5.0.0.797 on my phone and it works perfectly! So screw what they say about it (the leaked O.S versions) voiding the warranty, cause if you upgrade and dont like it its just as easy to downgrade! And no when you upgrade your O.S the desktop manager will automatically back up all apps including 3rd party apps so you don't have to re-download everything again!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 08-16-10 at 01:07 AM.
    08-16-10 01:05 AM
    You can run any Tour OS from any carrier on your Tour. I used 5.0.0.419, 5.0.0.643 (a leak), and currently 5.0.0.732 from VZW, but I'd recommend 419 or 643.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 10:55 AM
    Sadly, I believe once again, we are being screwed over, from 3 yr contracts, outrageous LD charges, crappy web page and doesn't look like they are going to bother with a legacy device(what else would you call it when RIM has already replaced the model. I don't know what I was thinking when I got mine, trapped track ball, duh!! the one part that is guaranteed to require cleaning, who in their right mind would design a machine so that it was all but impossible to remove the track ball for cleaning....grrrrrr

Go with a leaked or hybrid OS, I've been running one of the earliest leaked 5's for several month's.
    08-16-10 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Its really been helpful, I'll have OS 5.0 running tomorrow. PS, is OS 6.0 for the torch only? Or can it be run by, for lack of better words, it's inferior's?

08-17-10 12:38 AM
    OS6 is not scheduled to ever be used by Tour. Typically OS' are device specific. You can use any Tour OS on your Tour, but it won't work right on other devices, etc. Parts of them may work here and there but in their entirety, I doubt it.

08-17-10 04:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD