Hey Crackberry

So I purchased a new AT&T sim card online just for the purpose of viewing AT&T's coverage on my tour. When I put the unactivated sim card into my tour and switch it to GSM mode, I get the sos symbol. This card has been activated under prepaid but I believe the activation ran out since I never bothered to add money to account. I just wanted to see how AT&T's signal compared to Verizon's. My question is does the Sim card have to be activated for you to be able to view the carriers signal? My Tour is unlocked.
    01-18-10 08:23 PM
    Pretty sure because otherwise its not getting you any info with it being inactive.
    01-18-10 08:41 PM
    What exactly are you connecting to...if the SIM card is not activated? lol.

Yes, you need to be activated
    01-18-10 08:54 PM

It's an AT&T sim card so I would assume it would know to connect to the AT&T network right? I just want to be able to view the signal strength. I don't expect to be able to use any of the network functions. For example, on any Verizon device you can view the network strength even though the device may not be active. I want to be able to do the same thing. Just be able to see how many bars I get with AT&T vs Verizon.
    Thanks For your help =)
    01-18-10 09:59 PM
    Activate that sim card or just ask someone if they have ATT and look at their phone.
    01-19-10 11:23 AM
    A deactivated sim card probably wont let you do anything. HOWEVER, you should be able to use the SIM that was provided with the Tour on sprint or verizon to check coverage. You can select any GSM network, but it will say SOS. At this point, use an app like signal loc and itl tell you the reading in dbm.
    01-19-10 11:35 AM
    A deactivated sim card probably wont let you do anything. HOWEVER, you should be able to use the SIM that was provided with the Tour on sprint or verizon to check coverage. You can select any GSM network, but it will say SOS. At this point, use an app like signal loc and itl tell you the reading in dbm.
    That wont do the guy any good when he wants to know about ATT coverage.
    01-19-10 05:42 PM
    Did you unlock your BB Tour? If not, spend some money to unlock it then it might work.
    12-22-10 10:49 PM

Bla1ze you beat me to it by a hair...lol That is what I was going to ask myself?? Like Bla1ze said yes you have to have it activated but the easiest way is what another poster here sugessted, Just have a friend with a TOur or bold or simalar BB let you place them side by side in certain areas and compare them.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 12-26-10 at 11:50 AM.
    12-26-10 11:44 AM
    Yes, you can check the signal strength on a deactivated BB, and you don't even need a SIM Card to do it.
    At least I can on 2 old 8700c's (AT&T, both deactivated long ago).
    I have 2, one with a deactivated SIM, and one with no SIM at all. The signal can be read on both.
    First, on the home screen, hit the antenna icon and turn on the radio, even though it says SOS and SIM message, 'Insert SIM Card', or 'SIM not provisioned' etc.
    Then go to Options > Status. It should be there on the top.
    These 8700c's, deactivated for about 2 years or so, have a reading of between -77 dBm and -83 dBm.
    (FYI my active (Sprint) 8330m and 9630 both read -90 to -94 dBm).
    And BTW, to get rid of the SIM card message, turn off the radio then do a battery pull. SIM message is gone until you turn on the radio on again. Hope this helps... Ed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    slinky317 likes this.
    12-28-10 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD