My main problem with the Storm is getting a text from someone with a Voyager that can be mistaken for a book. And my text messages are more like a sentence or two. Anyone know if you can type more than 160 characters in an SMS text on the Niagara?
    03-20-09 10:23 AM
    SMS are limited to 160 character with all phones, AIM/Yahoo are limited to 400 characters if I recall correct. Now if your friend had a BB that would not be an issue because than you both could use BB Messenger.
    03-20-09 10:35 AM
    I'm certain it will still be 160, don't foresee that changing for a long time.
    03-20-09 10:38 AM
    SMS are limited to 160 character with all phones, AIM/Yahoo are limited to 400 characters if I recall correct. Now if your friend had a BB that would not be an issue because than you both could use BB Messenger.
    This isn't true. Verizon to Verizon texts are unlimited (or a very large limit). However, on the blackberries they limit it to 160. It is very annoying when your friends can send you 300 word messages and you can only send 160
    03-20-09 11:11 AM
    The limit is 160 some phones do automatically split the text into multiple messages all containing a max of 160 chars.
    03-20-09 11:14 AM
    This isn't true. Verizon to Verizon texts are unlimited (or a very large limit). However, on the blackberries they limit it to 160. It is very annoying when your friends can send you 300 word messages and you can only send 160

Interesting. My wife carried the Voyager and she couldn't get pass 160 characters. For a long time I carried Treo and I couldn't get pass 160 either. My sister carries at this moment some type of Verizon brand phone and she also runs out as well. I wonder if its the model that makes a different.
    03-20-09 11:15 AM
    Interesting. My wife carried the Voyager and she couldn't get pass 160 characters. For a long time I carried Treo and I couldn't get pass 160 either. My sister carries at this moment some type of Verizon brand phone and she also runs out as well. I wonder if its the model that makes a different.
    I'm sure it is the model. I couldn't go over with a Razor but could with the Chocolate.

It would be awesome if the BB didn't have a limit but I would expect it to still have it.
    03-20-09 11:18 AM
    "Larger content (Concatenated SMS, multipart or segmented SMS or "long sms") can be sent using multiple messages, in which case each message will start with a user data header (UDH) containing segmentation information. Since UDH is inside the payload, the number of characters per segment is lower: 153 for 7-bit encoding, 134 for 8-bit encoding and 67 for 16-bit encoding. The receiving handset is then responsible for reassembling the message and presenting it to the user as one long message. While the standard theoretically permits up to 255 segments,[27] 6 to 8 segment messages are the practical maximum, and long messages are often billed as equivalent to multiple SMS messages."

Thanks Wiki! SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    03-20-09 11:28 AM
    Didn't I just see you bigman leaving a comment recently?? Oh yeah it was a 160 char SMS thread.
    03-20-09 11:36 AM
    GSM berries automatically split the message up, at least on tmo they do. If you're sending/receiving with tmo users the message comes as a whole regardless of length/characters. I assume this is a CDMA thing if you guys can't send/receive beyond 160.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 12:07 PM
    GSM berries automatically split the message up, at least on tmo they do. If you're sending/receiving with tmo users the message comes as a whole regardless of length/characters. I assume this is a CDMA thing if you guys can't send/receive beyond 160.

I can say the same for AT&T.
    03-20-09 01:58 PM
    Due to the nature of SMS on verizon and the way the message is sent it is limited to 160 chars. Some phones code it as a mms which doesnt have that limitation.. this 9630 does not allow longer then 160 chars.
    03-20-09 02:28 PM
    The workaround is sending an e-mail to the person's cell phone number. Most carriers have the ability to send text messages via e-mail (something like ##########@carrier.net). If needed, the message will be broken up as transmitted.
    03-20-09 02:37 PM
    All the LG phones that I have experience with on Verizon will automatically regroup to and from other Verizon customers, but if you send more than 160 characters to someone on another carrier it will only send the first 160.
    03-20-09 03:04 PM
    Just send the message as a multimedia message... type how many characters you choose...
    03-20-09 03:46 PM
    It depends on the on the type of network used (GSM or CDMA). I use to have T-mobile & I could type as much as I wanted & it would count the messages every 160 characters, but still send it all at once. AT&T is the same way.

03-21-09 12:30 AM
    It depends on the phone and what model number it is, as well as what network it is sending to as to weather EMS works or not. My Voyager can send EMS but every time I sent a message off network (most of my family is on ATT and a number of freidds oN TMo and Sprint) that was too ling it was truncated and I got a message back telling me it was.

You are correct that no BB's support EMS and I suspect they never will since they support MMS (which allows a spacious 1,000 characters) and email.
    03-21-09 12:47 AM
    Holy crap how many times do we have to go through the SMS discussion? The answer isn't gonna change people, regardless if you like it or not!

03-22-09 05:53 AM
    Now, now, be nice! This is a forum, with lots of people, and yes, from time to time you'll see the SAME questions, OVER and OVER.

But, think about it this way, you're not compelled to reply

I think since text message have a cap, the alternative is always going to be email. And, since people have BlackBerry's, why not use it? If you have a text that's longer than 160 characters, either use the multiple option (where it sends the message broken down), or send a text to the person saying, "email on it's way, please check it", then send your looonnnggg email...

Holy crap how many times do we have to go through the SMS discussion? The answer isn't gonna change people, regardless if you like it or not!

03-22-09 06:37 AM
    Its not gonna change, so get over it and live your lives. 160 or not we have been doing it for years and its not going to change. Just like somethings in life,

03-22-09 07:15 AM
    SEND IT AS MMS....problem solved
    03-22-09 07:33 PM
    SEND IT AS MMS....problem solved
    +1 I've been saying that for months.
    03-23-09 01:45 AM
    The limit is 160 with any SMS from any provider... but Verizon is the only carrier I know that actually cuts off at 160. On most carrier's plans, you can fill up about 12 SMSs worth of text before being cut off. If you go over 160, then it just counts as a two texts and so on. I don't know what other carriers cut off at 160, but that definitely sucks. T-Mobile does not thankfully.
    03-23-09 02:10 AM
    The limit is 160 with any SMS from any provider... but Verizon is the only carrier I know that actually cuts off at 160. On most carrier's plans, you can fill up about 12 SMSs worth of text before being cut off. If you go over 160, then it just counts as a two texts and so on. I don't know what other carriers cut off at 160, but that definitely sucks. T-Mobile does not thankfully.
    It's called EMS or Enhanced Messaging Service. In this case it's both a Verizon thing and a RIM thing. CDMA Blackberries don't support it. Verizon does support it but only with some handsets (Voyager, Dare, and The Razor Maxx all do) but ONLY to othr VZW people. If it goes off network it gets truncted and you get a message back telling you as much.

How many times do we have to keep explaining it?
    03-23-09 02:33 AM
    simply to add.. SMS = 160 characters..by definition... say text, IM, MMS, email and whatever else you like, but if you use the phrase "SMS" then you are saying "160 characters"....
    03-25-09 01:50 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD