Hey a friend of mine just picked up aTour off of Craigslist. He wants to turn it on his pre-existing Verizon account. I was under the imperession if you did not purchase you Blackberry on contract you did not have to activate it with a data plan, but he was told different by a Verizon rep. She didnt seem all to knowledgable or helpfull though so I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure if there was any possible way to do it???
    11-10-09 09:49 PM
    Absolutely not! Mandatory with any BB/smartphone/PDA.
    11-10-09 09:51 PM
    Agreed, cannot be done.
    11-10-09 09:58 PM
    Why on earth would you want a blackberry WITHOUT data usage? Tell him if he's getting it just to be "cool" then he's ********. He might as well have gotten a cheapo flip phone and called it a day.
    11-10-09 10:04 PM
    No, nope, nah, h-no!!! Must agree with eric02SpecV; We Todd Did, No offense!
    11-10-09 10:09 PM
    The data is only 29.99 to add to a plan.. that's not outrageous for all a BB can do!! why would one have a blackberry with no data? it takes the usability out of the phone!
    Last edited by rgarling; 11-10-09 at 10:22 PM.
    11-10-09 10:16 PM
    You guys are morons, grow up. It doesn't make you a ****** if you want a berry and no data plan. Maybe he got it for a good price and just really likes the keyboard, screen resolution, camera, or whatever.

But to OP, in short no, Verizon requires you at least pay the $29.99 for a data plan if you have a blackberry device or any of their smart phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 10:19 PM
    Haha, we're morons...not the guy trying to have a smartphone but take away the smart. That's like when poor people buy caddies but they live in a boarded up home. Lame...
    11-10-09 10:57 PM
    Yeah your right. The only thing blackberry has to offer is data and internet. No body would want one for the keyboard, high resolution screen, navigating with trackball, the camera, or any other non data related features it has.

11-10-09 11:46 PM
    A blackberry can be quite useful for the PIM and computer sync functions alone. Not everyone needs to be on their email or internet all the time.
    11-10-09 11:58 PM
    Exactly. And other carriers offer smart phones and berries without data plans. So obviously its useful to some people.

11-11-09 12:00 AM
    Downloading maps uses data smartguy regardless of your service provider.

We're arguing opinions...which is stupid. So I'm done.
    11-11-09 12:00 AM
    The data is only 29.99 to add to a plan.. that's not outrageous for all a BB can do!! why would one have a blackberry with no data? it takes the usability out of the phone!
    you're nuts. 30$ is way too much dam.n money to spend on data. that's complete BS, especially when it's limited to 5GB (aka: unlimited to verizon)
    11-11-09 12:10 AM
    you're nuts. 30$ is way too much dam.n money to spend on data. that's complete BS, especially when it's limited to 5GB (aka: unlimited to verizon)

It's unlimited browsing on phone only, if you tether, it's 5GB. 5GB is actually alot. I tethered all the time w/ my Alltel pearl and still was always in between 2.5-3 GB every month. But that tethering charge adds on another fee.

I don't think it's nuts. I'm still paying less than when I was with Alltel. Alltel was 44.99 for internet for BB until they came out with Smart Choice plans, and I'm still paying less with Verizon than Alltel. Plus I get 12% discount w/my employer.

Everyone has differences of opinion on things. I'm saving money, so my attitude is more optimistic.
    11-11-09 12:26 AM
    +1
    i know that vzw and att were under fcc investigation for price jacking and a combined monopoly. wonder if anything has come of that. i havnt heard.
    11-11-09 06:21 AM
    You guys are morons, grow up. It doesn't make you a ****** if you want a berry and no data plan. Maybe he got it for a good price and just really likes the keyboard, screen resolution, camera, or whatever.

But to OP, in short no, Verizon requires you at least pay the $29.99 for a data plan if you have a blackberry device or any of their smart phones.

That's like getting a sports car and driving it around using only first gear. Sure it gets the job done (getting from point a to point b) but you'll never use it to it's full potential. But to each their own.
    11-11-09 06:47 AM
    You can activate the phone under an existing account. Verizon will automatically add the data plan and bill you in the next cycle.
    11-11-09 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD