On my 8330 Curve I just gave to my sister, when I went into options then set my SMS text ring tone, this changed it for all my contacts. However, on the Tour I just got, I have to go into each individual contact, edit it, go to ring tone--messages, then change the ring tone for getting an SMS text from that contact. With a few hundred contacts in my Tour, this is a royal pain in the @ss, to say the least.

Is there any way to change the ring tone for SMS texting for all my contacts at once? Unlike phone call ring tones, I prefer to have one uniform ring tone for all my SMS messages. I'm getting too old to try and remember individual SMS ring tones.
    11-07-09 02:13 PM
    Yep. Where you change your phone volume/vibrate mode you go to "set ring tones/alerts." The setting is in there.

-Stephen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 02:21 PM
    Are you sure, Stephen? I ask because I could've sworn that's where I went, then when I did change the setting, it did NOT change it for any of my contacts--only those who aren't a contact and text me.
    11-07-09 02:23 PM
    BTW, I should mention that when I called Sprint's Blackberry support, even they said I had to edit my contacts one-by-one in order to change the SMS ring tone. Of course, that doesn't mean they're right.

I've tried to do what you suggested, but it isn't working. I must be doing something wrong.
    11-07-09 02:32 PM
    Sounds > Set Ring Tones/Alerts > Messages > SMS Text

That should work, if it doesn't I'd take it to a tech or get a warranty replacement.
    11-07-09 02:59 PM
    You could also try deleting all of your contact alerts and then changing your sms alerts
    11-07-09 03:01 PM
    Sounds > Set Ring Tones/Alerts > Messages > SMS Text

That should work, if it doesn't I'd take it to a tech or get a warranty replacement.
    I don't think that's the answer, because this appears to be a technological limitation of the 9630 Tour. I asked my brother, who recently got one as well, to see if he's able to change the SMS ring tones for his contacts en masse as well. He can't do it either. So, it would seem that the Blackberry rep. to whom I spoke earlier was correct.

I think it's ridiculous that one can do this on the Curve, which I did when I had that, but cannot do that on the Tour. I'm not exactly happy that I'm going to have to manually edit each of my over 300 contacts. It's not a 1-key process, either, which irritates me even more.
    11-07-09 04:35 PM
    It is possible, I have a Tour and I am able to have one alert tone for all incoming SMS. It is not a device limitation, I suspect there is something wrong with your individual Tour.
    11-07-09 04:44 PM
    I find it hard to believe that my brother would have the same problem, too, then. He lives in a different state and recently got a Tour, and when I called him this afternoon to check it out, his Tour had the same "problem." When he realized this, his reaction was the same as mine, that being none too happy.
    11-07-09 05:06 PM
    Like I said: current Tour owner, not having this issue. I suggest you call tech support or go see a tech.
    11-07-09 05:09 PM
    I got off the phone with two more tech support reps, both of whom seem confused. Go figure.

They're biggest surprise is that I don't have an icon on my screen that says "Profiles." I do have an icon that looks like a speaker with the sound waves coming out of it; that's labeled as "sounds," which is one of two or three places where I attempted to set the SMS ring tones in bulk. However, as I mentioned earlier, that didn't work. Sure, I can change it that way as you guys above suggested, but it doesn't change in each of my contacts. When I review them in my Address Book, the default ring tone is still listed.
    11-07-09 05:15 PM
    Hmm, are you maybe using a leaked OS or a theme?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f139/as...ouncil-327192/

That's a great thread full of guys who know way more than I do. Post your problem there and they should be able to help you.
    11-07-09 05:20 PM
    Nope. This is the original software. When I activated the phone Wednesday evening and transferred my backed up contacts and apps, DM also told me a newer software version was available, which I then downloaded. As far as I know, I have the latest "official" software version.
    11-07-09 05:22 PM
    P.S. I can easily upgrade to a newer software version if you think that might help. If so, which version do you recommend? I'm a Sprint customer, but that shouldn't be an issue, as I've upgraded my old Curve before with the "unofficial" versions and never had a problem.
    11-07-09 05:24 PM
    Well I've heard good things about .230, but I just run official - too lazy to upgrade lol. I'm not sure if it would help or make things worse though.

Try posting your problem here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f139/as...ouncil-327192/

They should be able to help you out.
    11-07-09 05:31 PM
    Yeah, I just posted there. We'll see what happens. Thankfully this isn't a major issue right now anyway.
    11-07-09 05:32 PM
    Click Profiles and go to SET CONTACT ALERTS. Do you have a list of contacts there?
    11-07-09 07:43 PM
    That would be ridiculous if you had to go into each indiviudal contact and edit their ringtone. On mine all I have to do is go to options>ringtones/alerts and it's right there under SMS text
    11-07-09 08:38 PM
    It's there, too. Apparently, as was mentioned in the thread alluded to above, the default setting doesn't change in each contact, but the actual
    SMS tone does. It's just an appearance thing it seems.

So much for those moronic Sprint Blackberry reps.
    11-07-09 09:11 PM
    Click Profiles and go to SET CONTACT ALERTS. Do you have a list of contacts there?
    It's there, too.

Peruse this thread. It may clear up a couple things for you.
    11-07-09 09:43 PM
    Therein lies the problem. There is no "profiles" icon for me to click.

Anyway, as I stated above, the problem appears to be resolved, even though each contact's SMS ring tone still shows the default.
    11-07-09 09:52 PM
    There is no "profiles" icon for me to click.
    Sorry! SOUNDS.
    11-07-09 10:06 PM
    I'm running one of irtehun's hybrids (v7.8 based on 230 leak with files in the 320+ range - 7.9 has 344 files). It seems like that is the way things are working even in those later OS's. If I look at the individual contacts, they show the default ringers/message notification sounds.

However, my SOUNDS(or PROFILES - same thing) > Set Rings Tones/Alerts > SMS Text ringtone does show the sound that I've modified for all my SMS text messages.

So, as the OP says, the appearance in the individual contact's entries do show the default ringtone, even if it doesn't ring that way.

Strange...

If you're adventurous, go to BBHybrids - Blackberry Hybrids and try it!
    11-08-09 10:21 AM
    Huh. I think I understand the problem you are describing. I just never modify sms tones based on individuals, so I have never noticed this. But you think it does not affect actual operation, just letting you know what is going on? Well, that would be irritating, I agree...

Just for kicks, i just tried to change my sms (general) ringtone. We'll see what happens today, just for some feedback. Although my feedback will probably not mean much to you since I dont' modify sms tones by individuals at all.

Good luck getting this resolved, man.

-Stephen
    11-08-09 02:54 PM
    It's been resolved, as I mentioned earlier.
    11-08-09 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD