I want to take the trackball out and really clean this thing. Now from everything I've read/heard that requires taking this thing apart and voiding the warranty, which I guess I have to do to accomplish what I want. Just wanted to make absolutely sure there is no way to do this without voiding the warranty? Cuz it really seems silly that they manufactured it this way.
    01-15-10 03:24 PM
    If the trackball needs repair, including cleaning while under warranty, then contact verizon for those repairs.

Some folks use a q-tip LIGHTLY dabbed in alcohol. Others turn the unit face down and roll the trackball on clean white paper.

Otherwise, as you noted, disassembly is the only way to get in there. You might be able to open it without them knowing - there is supposedly some tamper-evident paper or substance on one of the screw heads.

But some folks have managed to bung up their Tours as there are parts that are a bit more difficult to take apart.

Good luck
    01-15-10 04:07 PM
    This is repeating alot of what F2 said...

First I always try putting the phone face down on clean paper, pressing just enough to depress the trackball and rolling it in all directions. This practically always works for me.

As far as cleaning with alcohol, alot of people say Q-tips will leave fibers on the trackball which can create more problems so be wary. Some people recommend alcohol wipes because they have fewer fibers that can come loose. I personally have never had to use this method.

I would try those before opening it up so you don't have to void your warranty right away. But as far as a way to take it apart without voiding the warranty, unfortunately (fortunately for me) I've never had to take it apart so I don't know of a way.

Good luck to you, hope you get this resolved.
    01-15-10 05:41 PM
    You touch the screws, you void the warrantee. Do you have the insurance policy? If your phone gets bunged up, "loose" it. <wink-wink-nudge-nudge>

I took mine apart to put a colored housing on it. It's very easy to do. BE CAREFUL when pulling the face plate away, you can snap off the tiny resistor that works the camera's flash. I did and now no flash. Camera still works, but not at night!

Do a search on disassembly of a tour, it's not that hard. Put a different color face plate and keyboard on it while you're in there.
    01-15-10 07:04 PM
    If it's working, why mess with it?? I wouldn't take it apart just to clean the trackball as everyone else has mentioned... I guess it's up to you if you are that anxious to get into the guts of the Tour.
    01-16-10 12:06 AM
    Your phone is under warranty... why would anyone want to take apart there phone while its under warranty that just voids it?

if you have a problem, just call Verizon and they will send you a new Tour..... I can see taking ur phone apart if its not under warranty still, but it is, there is no reason why any sane person would take there phone apart under waranty
    01-16-10 06:27 AM
    I can't express it enough that after my tour was having Trackball issues, and suffered for months, I finally took it to an authorized dealer and got it replaced and life is SWEET!! Just take it in, you can't repair it...go now, don't wait or collect $200!
    01-16-10 05:02 PM
    I can't express it enough that after my tour was having Trackball issues, and suffered for months, I finally took it to an authorized dealer and got it replaced and life is SWEET!! Just take it in, you can't repair it...go now, don't wait or collect $200!
    he said his tour does not have a warrenty on it.... please read the thread before posting
    01-16-10 05:35 PM
    Actually he is wanting to make sure that there is no other way to do this other than voiding the warranty.......which means it is under warranty.
    01-16-10 06:05 PM
    The paper method works well if you still have issues call vzw, good luck with that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 06:17 PM
    The phone HAS to have a warranty on it because it HAS to be less than 1 year old. Unless he's done something else stupid to void the warranty. Verizon will replace for free (even if he's not the original buyer) I bought a used phone on ebay and replaced it via warranty because of mfg defect
    01-16-10 06:55 PM
    Everyone here is on Verizon I see, but I'm on Sprint with a trackball problem on my Tour and was wondering if anyone had experience with Sprint and manufac. warranties? Does Sprint honor them? Will they replace my phone for free?
    01-17-10 09:19 PM
    every time i have received a replacement phone from sprint, unless it was within the first thirty days of purchase, it was a referb. so they replace it, just not new...

which is better than nothing

but still silly
    01-17-10 09:44 PM
    If the trackball needs repair, including cleaning while under warranty, then contact verizon for those repairs.

Some folks use a q-tip LIGHTLY dabbed in alcohol. Others turn the unit face down and roll the trackball on clean white paper.

Otherwise, as you noted, disassembly is the only way to get in there. You might be able to open it without them knowing - there is supposedly some tamper-evident paper or substance on one of the screw heads.

But some folks have managed to bung up their Tours as there are parts that are a bit more difficult to take apart.

Good luck
    Dissassembling the Tour is quite easy. But there is a screw covered by colored tape that punctures once you try unscrewing it which will show that the phone has been taken apart...which voids the warranty.

But its really simple to take apart.
    01-17-10 09:50 PM
    Everyone here is on Verizon I see, but I'm on Sprint with a trackball problem on my Tour and was wondering if anyone had experience with Sprint and manufac. warranties? Does Sprint honor them? Will they replace my phone for free?
    Within one year....yes Sprint will replace your phone free of charge so long as the issue is one covered under your manufactures warranty.
    01-17-10 09:50 PM
    He asked if it would void out the warranty..........don't try cleaning it. Call customer care and you will have a replacement within 2-3 days Also the back won't be loose either. I had the same issues two months into having my Tour and the replacement is perfect. So just call them. I got mine within 2 days I also didn't have time to transfer everything and I went into the store and it was done. All is fine in my BB world
    01-17-10 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD