I'm using the Tour on a BES and whenever someone sends me a work related email with an attachment I am unable to view the text in the body of the message. I can open the attachment just fine but no text is displayed and there is another attachment displayed called "text/plain" that cannot be opened by the phone.

I've tried everything at this point...wiped phone, reactivated twice, pulled battery, etc. Both Verizon & RIM were no help. All of the other Blackberry's in our company are working fine...it seems to just be this phone and one Storm user running .151.

I've seen a few others post with a similar issue, but not many, and I wanted to see if I could get a confirmation from other BES/Tour users that they are not having this issue to see if I can isolate this to my phone or our server. Thanks!
    07-24-09 01:12 PM
    I am having the same issue on my VZW Tour (4.7.1.40) with BES 4.x (4.5, I think) on Exchange.

Messages appear fine when they have no attachments; messages with one or more attachments show the subject, attachment (plus one text/plain attachment, presumably with the message body), but no message body.

The problem does not occur with Gmail, nor did it occur with past devices including my VZW Curve.

This is a re-occurrence, it seems, of an existing/known/fixed bug. I read that this happened in the past with BES/Domino, and with BIS. Here are some related threads:
    RIM: External HTML Messages with no Plain Text have no body on the BlackBerry wireless device
    Crackberry: text attachment??

I figured that RIM/VZW would be happy that the issue is being reported, and would work with me to at least identify their course of action to resolve. AS you might guess, VZW Tech Support won't assist, and RIM support will only assist if I pay $250 for Server Support. My IT department suspects, as I do, that upgrading to BES 5.0 will resolve the issue - but they don't plan to do so for a while. It's especially ironic to me that a new client device introduces an issue that requires a server fix - which is out of the users' hands.

Asking for support fees to report bugs is terrible customer service. If you're reading this, RIM, please help!

The outcome is I will have to return the device. Everyone loses - VZW will have a used unit on their hands, RIM won't get the bug reported and will lose a willing and capable tester, and I won't get to keep this device.

Who killed customer service and quality assurance?
    07-25-09 04:37 PM
    Good news: when I * uninstalled* my RSA SecurID v3.0.2 from my Tour, this message body / attachment problem ceased.

It seems that the RSA app modifies (and breaks) how the OS handles attachments from BES, perhaps related to the way you import tokens from emails. For token file attachments, a different menu item appears "Import Token" (or something like that); perhaps this tweak to the email menu is what is breaking the way the Tour shows (or doesn't show) the body of BES messages having attachments.

I wonder if others having this issue have software installed that adjust how the email application functions, with new menu items / attachment handling, etc.
    07-30-09 09:19 AM
    RSA did not break anything within the Blackberry V4.7.X OS. RSA simply has not certified v3.0.2 to run on BB v4.7.x OS. Uninstalling the RSA application on the Tour does resolve the issue of not seeing the text in the body. RIM change where the attachmnent service application is located and that threw off the RSA app. I am waiting for RSA to provide a patch of hotfix within their app.
    07-31-09 04:28 AM
    Sounds like RSA is aware of and working on the issue - that's great.

What do you know about:
    a) when the hotfix is targeted to be available, and
    b) what the communication plan is to ensure customers know it's available?
    07-31-09 07:58 AM
    Having the same problem. Would also like to know when a hotfix will be available.
    07-31-09 08:07 AM
    There is no public date on when they will have a fix to this issue. I, too am a customer of their RSA application and the work around is to uninstall the RSA app and use a FOB. I am a bit surprise that RSA did not have the 4.7.1 OS so they can test their app before Verizon/Sprint released the smartphone but these things do happen.
    07-31-09 08:51 AM
    Can RSA be uninstalled by the end user or just on the BES?
    07-31-09 12:04 PM
    Any update on this? Annoying that I can't read these e-mails with attachments. This only happens with my BES emails not my Gmail.
    08-05-09 08:27 AM
    Can RSA be uninstalled by the end user or just on the BES?
    End users can uninstall the app on the Blackberry, under | Options | Advanced Options | Applications, highlight the application, click the menu button, and choose "Delete."
    08-10-09 08:16 AM
    Any update on this? Annoying that I can't read these e-mails with attachments. This only happens with my BES emails not my Gmail.
    I've heard nothing more on this. Do you have the RSA application installed, or are you experiencing this issue without that app? Just curious.
    08-10-09 08:17 AM
    I've heard nothing more on this. Do you have the RSA application installed, or are you experiencing this issue without that app? Just curious.
    I went under Applications and do not see anything RSA in there.
    08-10-09 08:19 AM
    I went under Applications and do not see anything RSA in there.
    I'd look through the list of apps you've installed - it is possible that one of them, like the RSA software I'd installed, attempts to access/modify how email attachments are handled. I'd uninstall any questionable apps, and see if that helps.

Alternatively, you could wipe your device completely and start over. After you run the Enterprise Activation, you can test for the email attachment issue (before installing any other applications). If the problem remains, it could be a server issue. If not, you can begin to install applications one-by-one (always checking for recurrence of the email attachment issue) to identify the culprit. This is how I identified the RSA application as being the culprit on my device.

Good luck.
    08-10-09 08:49 AM
    For me, it was visual voice mail. This has been a HUGE problem for me, so I was relieved to find it was this app. Sucks that I can't use Visual Voice Mail, but not being able to read 33% of my emails was worse. So, we are at 2 apps now that both cause emails to show with "text/plain" attachments and no message body. What else is out there that can break the way email is displayed? And more importantly, who is going to fix it? RIM? The individual app developers?
    08-10-09 01:04 PM
    For me, it was visual voice mail. This has been a HUGE problem for me, so I was relieved to find it was this app. Sucks that I can't use Visual Voice Mail, but not being able to read 33% of my emails was worse. So, we are at 2 apps now that both cause emails to show with "text/plain" attachments and no message body. What else is out there that can break the way email is displayed? And more importantly, who is going to fix it? RIM? The individual app developers?
    Visual Voice Mail from Verizon or You Mail?
    08-10-09 01:13 PM
    FYI - my Visual Voice Mail app (from Verizon Wireless) version is: 1.0.6.

I wonder if your version is older, and an update might resolve the issue.....
    08-10-09 09:53 PM
    I uninstalled Podtrapper and the text attachment problem was solved. I spent all morning Saturday on the phone with Verizon and then Blackberry and neither was any help. Found the fix on this site. Also on versatile monkey's forums.
    08-17-09 01:10 PM
    I uninstalled Podtrapper and the text attachment problem was solved. I spent all morning Saturday on the phone with Verizon and then Blackberry and neither was any help. Found the fix on this site. Also on versatile monkey's forums.
    I don't even have Podtrapper installed or Visual Voicemail by VZ installed. I have yet to find a solution to this. Would hate to uninstall every app to find out whats causing it.
    08-17-09 01:13 PM
    The older versions do not fix the issue. I have found that only plain text messages are not able to be read. If it is in HTML with an attachment all is good. Hopefully RSA will have a fix soon.
    08-20-09 08:53 AM
    I haven't had any issues since I uninstalled RSA. As a temp fix, I was originally able to get my messages working again by uninstalling all versions of the BB software on my PC and then reinstalling and plugging my phone back in one time only. If I didn't reconnect my phone the text/plain issue would not come up again. Of course, this is not a permanent solution as you need to eventually connect to move files, music, etc.
    08-20-09 09:16 AM
    FYI - my Visual Voice Mail app (from Verizon Wireless) version is: 1.0.6.

I wonder if your version is older, and an update might resolve the issue.....

I have this issue too. I don't have the RSA app but I do see (and don't use) a Visual Voicemail icon. However, I do not see any way to delete the Visual Voicemail. I don't get a Delete option when I highlight the icon and press my menu key. When I go via Options/AdvOpt/Apps it does not appear in the list.

Ideas?

Regards,
    Allen
    12-22-09 11:54 AM
    Some icons (like your Visual Voicemail icon) are actually web shortcuts that bring you to a download/install page. I suggest "hiding" the icon. The good news is that these icons do not represent that apps have actually been installed, so they hardly take up any space on your device.

Interestingly, a "Bing" icon recently appeared without any action by me on my Verizon Tour. I suspect Verizon pushed the icon to my device, perhaps through a VZW/MSFT relationship (financial or otherwise). I'm not happy that they feel comfortable pushing changes to my device without my permission. Similar to your inquiry about the Visual Voicemail icon, this Bing icon is simply a shortcut to a web page to download/install a custom Bing search app.

All of that said, perhaps another app is causing the email attachment issue. To narrow down the culprit, I actually wiped my device and started from scratch. That's how I identified that the RSA app caused the problem on my device.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
    12-22-09 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the follow up. Now I understand a little better.

I do still have the problem with emails showing as a text attachment that I cannot open. I don't have the RSA app, and I guess I don't have VVM. I can't figure out what other of my apps might be the culprit. I'm thinking I may wipe my device and start over.

Allen
    12-22-09 12:05 PM
    If you cannot identify the culprit through trial/error (unsinstalling one app at a time), then wiping should resolve. Admittedly, that's a hassle.

Good luck!
    12-22-09 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD