Anyone know a way to get the caller's name to show on the BB Tour? As everyone knows, the BB shows the incoming phone number as part of the Caller ID function, but for some reason BB's don't show the caller's name, as landlines do.

So, I'm looking for a way to get the caller's name, if that is possible. I know that there is this software called Privus Mobile Caller ID, but it only gives you the name after you have answered the call (duh!!!) and it is a monthly subscription....all around suxs.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Augie
    11-24-09 11:22 AM
    It's not just BB's that do this. I've never had any mobile phone that supported true caller ID. It has always been just the number unless the number is in my contacts.

It would be nice if cell phones supported real Caller ID though.

Privus only works correctly on a phone that can support data and phone at the same time. It just looks up the phone number when it comes it. Kind of like googling a phone number and getting the information for it. If you can't do data and phone at the same time then it has to wait until you end the call or miss the call. Probably any app would end up working the same way.
    Last edited by cschnider; 11-24-09 at 11:41 AM.
    11-24-09 11:36 AM
    Good point. Since the Tour can't do data/voice simultaneously, we're up the creek. I thought I had an old cell that gave names, but I guess not. Seems like such an easy thing to do.

Oh well
    11-24-09 11:47 AM
    I dont think cellphones in general do this.. its always just the number unless there in your contact list
    11-24-09 11:52 AM
    I never answer my cell if I do not know who is calling me. After I installed youmail, someone called from a number I did not know. They left a voice mail and it displayed the callers first and last name in the youmail app. Or at least who the cell is registered to. But I wish the phone would display the caller right on the cell..
    11-24-09 12:40 PM
    As well as the city aka area codes. U sold me on that youmail comment Dave, might try it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 12:44 PM
    There is a program out there but I don't know if it works with BB. It is a company called Targus that does it. It is at targusinfo . com
    11-24-09 02:39 PM
    metroPCS has something like this built in

I don't know about sprint and verizon
    11-24-09 06:22 PM
    Caller ID for VZW anyway will not show a name unless you have in your contacts. No way around it.
    11-24-09 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD