Well, I've simply had enough. I had a Droid back in January as some of you remember and missed my BlackBerry and the pushed content so much that I took it back before the 30 days and got another Tour. My second one. Well, not only has the track ball been messing up but Verizon put's out 5.0... All good right? I like the threaded text, I feel like 5.0 is atleast a step in the future. Well, everytime I get on the web browser I have to click everything atleast 20 times to get it to click the link. It does it on a LOT of them too. Some people say it's not many but it seems like it is. I'm tired of it being slow as ****.

Yeah, I've tried Opera Mini. Is it fast? Yes. But I have to drag that little square around and zoom in on what I want to see. And then zoom out. It's a lot of work. It's not just a simple fun browsing experience. I have important things I have to check on the web daily on my berry. Well, usually it takes me so long to check something so simple that I just have to go boot up my laptop and do it that way. The reason in me having a phone like this is to NOT have to get out my laptop. Especially on the go. I don't like bringing a laptop and looking for wifi.

So, I was sitting there and kept thinking, man when I had that Droid I could check any website I wanted in a matter of seconds. I could read everything perfectly and if I did need to zoom in I could do it fast. The problem for me is I just felt the BlackBerry looked more professional than the Android line of phones. And I like the push content.

But then what good is the push content? If my Tour alerts me that I have a Myspace and Facebook an I go load both the apps up and it takes me forever and half the time the myspace app messes up then what is it any good? My droid pushes me an email that tells me I got a new myspace and then I click the myspace app and it's there and I'm done fast.

And then heres the other thing. The gps is very important to me. BB maps sucks so mad so I got VZ navigator. Pay 10 a month for the thing. It works decent but it isn't nowhere near as cool as the free google navigation on the Droid.

Tour has no wifi and even if it did it wouldn't matter. See, on my droid someone sends me a link to youtube and I click it and it plays instantly on this big screen. On my tour I could barely see the youtube videos and they looked very poor.

I honestly was going to stick with the tour for a long time because I figured 5.0 would be out and I'd have threaded sms, which is very important to me and everything would be great. I was waiting for the open web kit browser to come and then it occurred to me...... Even if it had an open web kit browser that was even FASTER than the droids, it wouldn't be as good as the droids. It'd still be hard to read stuff and the zooming would still take a bunch of time. It would still be aggravating as **** trying to get the simplest of tasks done. And the processor or whatever they use in this thing feels so slow.

Anyway, I had to vent! I love RIM and I've been with BlackBerry for years. But it's time to step in the future man. Phones these days are able to do things fast and better and RIM is still releasing BRAND new phones that are not innovative. They aren't doing anything new. I mean the tour 2 is coming out. Theres nothing new about it. Trackpad and more app memory? Maybe more ram? It might be a little faster. But it's still the same thing.

And they put out a touch screen, which I love a touch screen, and what do they put out? The STORM for god sakes. Even the storm 2 sucks compared to android phones. You have to actually push down on the screen and the droid you barely even have to let your skin touch it. And then the browser is of course slow.

I've realized that browsing the web is even more important than email to me. And browsing the web on that little tour screen just isnt cutting it. ESP when they make it where I can't even click anything. And I'm not going to go downgrade to 4.7. I shouldnt HAVE TO. I should be able to get threaded text and the new OS and still use the web.

People always say "opera mini is just as fast as android browser" Well, it's not. And even when it is fast enough it's still not a great experience. With droid I just scroll and click.

I really hope one day I can go back to BlackBerry. I really hope they put out a touch screen one day that has a fast web browser and better gps. I'm tired of switching phones though. I've had 2 tours and 2 droids. Went from tour to droid and missed the push content and at the time everyone at work had BB messenger and I was sitting there with my droid so I went back to BB. Tried to convince myself that it was a good move for a long time. But I was in denial. Because it really felt like an old phone from years ago compared to the droid.

Thanks for listening to me rant! If you don't like it then why did you read all that? lol

edit: and the trackball issue is the same issue I had with the last one. It isnt tore up it does it on all my friends tours too. Just every once in a while it'll just sit there and wont move. But it can be turned upside down and shook a little and it fixed it. It hasnt done this in a long time. Happens about once in a month though.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 04-12-10 at 09:36 AM. Reason: remove offer to sell
    04-11-10 11:18 AM
    I got a tour over a droid. Don't really regret it, I don't need a fancy brick, I've got a 1700 dollar PC that plays youtube videos Push content is awesome. Tour is a little iffy, but I got mine recently and I like all but the trackball (want that new one). I weighed out my decision for a long time, tour vs droid ... and ultimately, I don't want to give up my push email accounts, bbm contacts, and blackberry interface. I'm too cozy with it
    04-11-10 12:11 PM
    I do see the writing on the wall. I love my Tour. I love Blackberry. But you read about all these new phone rumors, and all the new apps Android released, and that the new iphone may have video chat. Then you read the new Bold's big feature is a trackpad.... Oh. Boy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 11:37 PM
    I do see the writing on the wall. I love my Tour. I love Blackberry. But you read about all these new phone rumors, and all the new apps Android released, and that the new iphone may have video chat. Then you read the new Bold's big feature is a trackpad.... Oh. Boy.

you make such a good point it's scary..
    04-12-10 12:04 AM
    yup. RIM is moving too slow. they always have, but now, in this market, they are going to drown. 2 years and RIM will be what PALM is now. Mostly a memory.
    04-12-10 12:13 AM
    I completely agree with the poster and what everyone else said. I really feel like that whole blackberry is cool is starting to fade, I have had a blackberry for like 3 years at least and all I've experienced recently is like an "oh wow" the iPhone or Android does this or that. As much as this is a smart phone the quality of the apps compared to the other phones apps makes it look very primitive. Aside from BBM I don't really think there's anything I'd miss about not having a blackberry, I think once my contract with sprints up I'm switching to an Android or an iPhone, leaning iPhone (especially if it is on other carriers as AT&Ts service here in L.A. kinda sucks).

That said I'm not really impressed by the leaked photos of upcoming BB phones.

Anyone else?
    04-12-10 02:16 AM
    What you guys seem to keep missing is RIM doesn't really need the consumer business. It probably costs them more than they make. They don't need cool factor to sell phones to enterprise, they just need to beef up their infrastructure and make the platform easy to manage for companies. iBone and Palm aren't taking anything away from BB, they're a different market.
    04-12-10 03:05 AM
    yea! i was thinking the same way! the browser sucks and the screen is pretty small it hurts my eyes lol after all what are you paying data for right? Unless your a business guy and all u do is email/bbm then nothing beats BB but for apps and browsing and having fun.. Android is a good choice

I'm thinking about it..
    04-12-10 03:23 AM
    What you guys seem to keep missing is RIM doesn't really need the consumer business. It probably costs them more than they make. They don't need cool factor to sell phones to enterprise, they just need to beef up their infrastructure and make the platform easy to manage for companies. iBone and Palm aren't taking anything away from BB, they're a different market.
    I agree. The main reason to get a BB is for the business / e mail capabilities that no other smartphone provides.

However, if that's not the main thing you're looking for in a smartphone, then of course there are sexier options out there. I haven't been a BB user for a long time, but I have been using different smartphones for the last few years, and I think the BB market comes down to this:

BB's are great devices when it comes to business / e mail needs that also do a lot of other great / good things.

However, if you are looking for the ultimate browsing / media experience from your smartphone, with business / e mail needs being secondary, of course you will find better options than a BB.

Bottom line is that RIM's bread and butter market is not coming from high school kids playing with facebook, twitter and youtube.
    04-12-10 03:30 AM
    I agree with you guys and this crappy OS from verizon threw me over the edge, soon as iphone/nexus 1 or incredible come to vzw I'm history.

04-12-10 03:59 AM
    RIM needs to stop trying to lure the iToy crowd and get back to their original direction of producing a business tool for those who want a serious smartphone. If I want to play videos, play endless games and have lightning fast web browsing, I'll use my desk top computer. I didn't buy a BB to have a multi media/gaming experience. For those looking for the "cool" factor, it probably is best that they move on to another platform. Obviously, those aren't the folks who are looking for a device that can help them be more productive.
    04-12-10 05:31 AM
    I'm sorry but this whole blackberry is for business and RIM should stick to that argument is just plain short sighted. Companies are scaling back in this economy. Moreover, they are allowing more employees to pick their own smartphones and use them for their job. Even encouraging employees to buy their own. This means the employee picks the phone. While many are picking blackberries, many are being lured away. I am seeing more attorneys carrying iPhones and android devices and this is a typically an all blackberry demographic. Moreover, apple an android cannot be under estimated. They will be moving into enterprise. Finally, the consumer market is too big and is growing. It cannot be ignored. I don't think RIM will be dead anytime soon but they can't afford to rest on their corporate sucess. If they fail to grow in new areas they will eventually die.

04-12-10 06:26 AM
    I'm sorry but this whole blackberry is for business and RIM should stick to that argument is just plain short sighted. Companies are scaling back in this economy. Moreover, they are allowing more employees to pick their own smartphones and use them for their job. Even encouraging employees to buy their own. This means the employee picks the phone. While many are picking blackberries, many are being lured away. I am seeing more attorneys carrying iPhones and android devices and this is a typically an all blackberry demographic. Moreover, apple an android cannot be under estimated. They will be moving into enterprise. Finally, the consumer market is too big and is growing. It cannot be ignored. I don't think RIM will be dead anytime soon but they can't afford to rest on their corporate sucess. If they fail to grow in new areas they will eventually die.

Excellent post! RIM sells more consumer BB's than corporate anyway.
    04-12-10 06:35 AM

agreed. there was a certain momentum in the crowd that got BBs when they came out. so it was accepted that "oh you get a blackberry for business" and people continued to do that for a while. companies put cash into BES infrastructure, which created a level of inertia because corporations wont pay for new things if the old one still works. however, this wont go forever. blackberrys push email securely and have good keyboards... ok what else? the other OSes are closing the gap and once expectations rise beyond what a BB provides and capabilities of other platforms close the gaps in security, then we'll see who comes out on top.
    04-12-10 08:27 AM
    04-12-10 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD