Hi people of crackberry,
    I've been wanting a blackberry tour for a very long time and I have saved enough to purchase a used blackberry tour. What are some things to look out for when purchasing a used blackberry? I've heard some issues with the tour, but I was wondering if I have purchased a used blackberry, will it be replaced by verizon if there's something like a trackball defect? Any help would be appreciated!
    12-11-09 01:20 PM
    1. Do not buy off of ebay
    2. If you buy off of craigslist, have the seller meet you at the Store of your CARRIER (IE: Verizon or Sprint store) so you can have the phone activated right there on the spot before you hand them any money. If they throw an attitude because of your request..walk away, it was a scam and they almost had you.

=]
    Dm
    12-11-09 01:31 PM
    2. If you buy off of craigslist, have the seller meet you at the Store of your CARRIER (IE: Verizon or Sprint store) so you can have the phone activated right there on the spot before you hand them any money. If they throw an attitude because of your request..walk away, it was a scam and they almost had you.

=]
    Dm
    You can buy off of eBay. I have before and currently have a sprint tour listed right now. Just make sure that you buy a phone with a clean esn. If it doesn't say its clean, ask. If the seller says it is and it is not, your purchase is covered by both eBay and paypal. After making a payment, ask for the esn ... You have payed for it so there is no issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 01:40 PM
    This is not to sound rude to your post or anything like that. I just wonder why you say to not to buy off of ebay. I have purchased numerous phones off ebay, and never had a problem, and know many people that have done the same with no issues. I just make them give me the esn # on it, and check it with the provider before i make the bid/purchase.
    12-11-09 01:40 PM
    Ebay's ok for me. I won't use Craigslist. I guess it depends on the buyer. With the Tour, I would be a little cautious because of the reported trackball issues with some but not all owners. No I don't believe Verizon will change the device (unless you are lucky) because you bought off another buyer. Just my experience with using Ebay, Craigslist, buying a used device and calling VZW. Others will surely have different opinions. I would buy again from the marketplace forum here. A lot of the sellers/buyers are everyday addicts and you can actually check their prior posts to see if they mentioned any issues they had with the device. Good luck
    12-11-09 01:46 PM

=]
    Dm
    Wow, great points...lol..love the second one
    12-11-09 01:46 PM
    i have also bought and sold on ebay... same points about the clean ESN... but the first storm i bought used on ebay had an issue where the bottom of the screen stopped clicking and i took it to a verizon store and they replaced the phone no questions asked. I guess i'm one of the lucky ones but if you do have an issue i wouldn't recommend telling them you bought it used on ebay... just state the problem and expect them to handle it for you
    12-11-09 02:00 PM
    I have not had any issues with eBay ether just check the feedback of the seller, get the ESN or MIDI # and check with Verizon. How much are you willing to spend? I'm not sure about Verizon But I know US Cellular will sell the Phones that they get returned within the 30 day grace peroid for Half Price, and you can even insure them. You could check with Verizon to see if they have a offer like that, if they do you could get an almost new Tour for half price.
    12-11-09 02:11 PM
    I wouldn't use Ebay only because the ESN you get could be for another Tour that you aren't buying. I got mine brand new off craigslist. I called Verizon while the seller was present and confirmed clean ESN and successful activation. If a seller won't wait they have something to hide. Things like the track ball and other issues you can never really predict if they will start unless the phone is already showing signs of them. Its a gamble. If you have insurance on your plan thats a plus.

Mine was never activated before and appeared to be brand new. I have had 0 issues with it. No contract needed either.
    12-11-09 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD